IGNORED

Second (plastic) key with keyless system

nh_handyman

Back in my R1200C days, I had a single key - I never worried about loss or anything but with the R1200Rt - and the keyless system - with the plastic key playing a backup role.

What do other riders do with their plastic key? Leave it at home? Toss it in your pocket?

Also, did those with the keyless setup, did you get a backup made?

Thanks

I feel similarly. With old-fashioned mechanical keys, I never wasted any energy worrying about them. With the keyless system, I feel less confident it will always work.

I was showing someone the plastic key once and dropped it into the bowels of the bike. It took me awhile to find it. Since then I put a short bright yellow string through it. I carry it in my wallet all the time.

I thought about getting a backup, but then spent some time learning how to change the battery on the remote and understanding how and why the antenna under the seat works. So now I feel like I am okay with the remote and plastic key that came with the bike.

I bought an extra plastic key. I put it in a mini ziplock bag and slid it under the rubber on my foot peg so it's always on the bike in case. When traveling with my wife she keeps the other spare plastic key with her.

I have mine hidden on the bike where it is very secure and I don't have to use any tools (or key) to get hold of it. Since you have a keyless ride, as I have, I would suggest that you have an extra remote battery (CR 2032) in your wallet, or hidden away with the plastic key! If you are like me, then you are more likely to have a run-down battery rather than losing your key fob! :)

Manual says CR 1632

My manual says 2032, both the Spanish version that came with the bike and an English version I downloaded.

"Battery type for Keyless Ride-radio-operated key CR 2032"

CR1632 16×3.2mm 140mAh

CR2032 20×3.2mm 225mAh

They are pretty similar. One is slightly larger physically and a bigger capacity.

Edited by Green RT

I replaced my key battery in August I believe and it was a 2032. It's a very common battery available in most drug stores, hardware stores etc

Thanks for the replies.

I've got a few things to play with while the bike is only moving around the garage (aka winter):

a) How to use the plastic key

b) where to store the plastic key (on bike, on person)

c) how to swap battery on remote

A couple of questions - new wethead owner:

How long does the battery last in the fob? Change annually?

How much does a spare plastic key cost?

John

My battery lasted a little over a year. There is a warning light that comes on when your key fob battery gets low, thats how I knew. Very easy to change. I'll probably just change the battery annually from now on. I believe the plastic key cost me $60 if you can believe that but I will have to try and find the bill

I am still on my original fob battery, and my bike was bought in Sept. '14! It could be because I rarely use the remote, since I tend to use the central lock button on the handlebar when I walk away from the bike.

Edited by PadG
I am still on my original fob battery, and my bike was bought in Sept. '14! It could be because I rarely use the remote, since I tend to use the central lock button on the handlebar when I walk away from the bike.
What does the remote do to replace the "central lock button". I always use the lock button and did not know I had a choice. Is that an option of some kind?
you just push the round button on your remote to lock the bike/bags and set the alarm

Aha, now I understand. I have an R with no bags, not an RT, and I don't have an alarm system.

you just push the round button on your remote to lock the bike/bags and set the alarm

Aha, now I understand. I have an R with no bags, not an RT, and I don't have an alarm system.

That's OK, since a single push on the fob will lock and it takes a second push to set the alarm, and the lower button (shaped like an arrow?) will unlock and turns the alarm off with a single push. I have the alarm, but I only use it when I park the RT in the more urban settings, which is very rare. Much easier to use the handlebar button for just locking, since this way the fob stays safe in my pocket.

Edited by PadG

That's OK, since a single push on the fob will lock and it takes a second push to set the alarm, and the lower button (shaped like an arrow?) will unlock and turns the alarm off with a single push. I have the alarm, but I only use it when I park the RT in the more urban settings, which is very rare. Much easier to use the handlebar button for just locking, since this way the fob stays safe in my pocket.

I think that comes with the alarm system. On mine the buttons don't do anything. I just have to have the fob on me when I use the button on the steering column to lock/unlock the steering and to start/kill the engine.

I think that comes with the alarm system. On mine the buttons don't do anything. I just have to have the fob on me when I use the button on the steering column to lock/unlock the steering and to start/kill the engine.

Ahhh....that is a different button! You are talking about the main on/off button. The central lock button, which you don't have, is on the right switch cluster. I do go through the same procedure as you, when I want to lock the steering.

You probably can order it that way but it will have to be matched to your bikes computer to work. Some dealers will do that part for free others will charge. If anyone knows the procedure for that please chime in

• 1 month later...

I found a flat horizontal spot up by the front tire. Easy to reach and totally hidden from view. I might epoxy a piece of steel, and use a regular hide a key. I want to keep the extra helmet lock key with it.