IGNORED

New southern NH RT Rider

nh_handyman

A suggestion in another thread was to introduce myself in this forum.

I'm new to the RT world - I have yet to even ride mine.

Bought a 2016 R1200RT from Second Wind BMW (now National Powersports) of Merrimack, NH in mid December.

Its Ebony Metallic with keyless start, traction control, hill assist, shift assist (what ever they call those fancy things).

There are a lot of things to get familiar with on this bike, nevermind just the added power I'll have.

My wife and I went in to look at a 2006 they had on sale, and ended up with a brand new 2016. Oh ya, SENA headsets between the helmets.

Prior to this bike I had put close to 50,000 miles between 2001 and 2013 on a BMW R1200C. While riding that bike I was a rather active poster on the chromeheads forum tracking down a few electrical issues and even solving a 'Y2010' bug in their forum software (I'm a software engineer by trade). There are a fair number of RT forums out there.

Before 2001 I spent two or three seasons on an Yamaha Virago 750 which after a spill and insurance payout, I upgraded to the BMW and never looked back.

I'll be on the bike as much as possible to work, to where ever I can and my wife and I hope to be taking some weekend trips around Southern NH/ME/MA/VT. I also ride as long as possible into the fall/winter and with the heated grips/seat I expect that will be extended a bit longer with the RT.

I've been trying to digest the options I have for storage, highway pegs, aux lighting all things I'm 90% sure I'm going to want to add to this bike. I'm also finding lots of forums that cover the RT so I guess I'm glad I picked it up in the winter so I can do all my catching up while sitting at a desk.

Brian

Hey Welcome Brian - this is a great spot for info and advise on the RT. A little quite now during the holiday's and snow season, but a great bunch of people.

BTW - From what I hear of the 16 model, you're going to love it.

Brian - Welcome! Lots of good stuff here. I started lurking here as I was doing pre-purchase bike research and never left. Like you, I got my bike as Winter set in and I found the 'Riding Well' section kept me quite busy all Winter reading (when I wasn't riding), brushing up and learning [there are deep archives here - adjust the display options on topic sections to change dates as needed]. There are many, many great threads there and they changed my approach to riding - and still do. One of the more popular threads is Master Yoda's riding position.

Yoda

The Activities and Ride events section is one I failed to explore in my earlier days here - an oversight I regret. After attending my first gathering of BMWST folks, (at FART - but any will do) I've increasingly set aside more and more of my time to participate in various rides/gatherings/get togethers. As great a resource as this board is, meeting and getting together with members far surpasses the virtual interaction. Plus the riding :revit::bike::old:

They'll be plenty of folks from you neck of the woods at START (Apr 26-30) and the UnRally (Jun 26-29)- both in TN this year. Info for those events are under the Activities and Events Section. The UnRally is a Signature board event - so it has it's own section there. START information is listed under 'Ride Event and Planning'

Welcome, and I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention that there are plenty of software types here too! (And normal folks) :lurk::rofl::ohboy::spittake:

Welcome to the family.

While there are more than one RT site, IMO, you have come to the best.

Folks here are riders, they a knowledgeable and helpful and they care about one another.

In addition this is "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" if you can't play nice, you have to leave. That just leaves nice people such as yourself.

Hope to meet you on the road.

Check out the events. As a first timer you will be warmly welcomed and feel right at home.

Hi Brian,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I just bought the exact same bike (even same color) from Second Wind at the end of November. They are storing it for the Winter, so, like you, I haven't even ridden it yet.

We should get together and compare notes. I live in Amherst. By the way, were you caught off guard when Second Wind sold to National Powersports ?

Roy

Given it happened the week after I was in there... Darryl was sitting behind the counter re-keying someone's new bag... ya I'm sure hey knew what was about to happen but zero was said/mentioned etc...

Given the check was written out to National Powersports I don't think he was making any money off of my sale.

And ya - I'm 'almost in Amherst' anyway. I've always been a southern (Merrimack) boy with four homes within 1.5 miles of each other.

Hi Brian, welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Sounds like NP is going to keep the SW mechanics they have employed (if I read it correctly) but, how will any warrantee issues work for the customer? Will they/you/me need to go a certified BMW dealer if that ever happened?

Pat

I'm a little up in the air about servicing with Second Wind / National Powersports. One of the big reasons I chose BMW this time around is that I had a dealer in my town. So, I was pretty disappointed when Second Wind sold. I've heard great things about Max in Hampton, but I've never dealt with them personally. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do come servicing time.

I've used MAX a few times over the years and I've had nothing but great interactions and professionalization.

Many years ago I was having an issue with my speedo on my R1200C. Their parts guy Rusty told me to ride over there (1 hr) and he would give me the tools and the new part to put on the bike so I could test it in their parking lot before buying it.

Turns out that my issue was not with the part but wiring.... But hell, who lets you borrow a new part to see if it fixes your problem theses days?

A suggestion in another thread was to introduce myself in this forum.

I'm new to the RT world - I have yet to even ride mine.

Bought a 2016 R1200RT from Second Wind BMW (now National Powersports) of Merrimack, NH in mid December.

Its Ebony Metallic with keyless start, traction control, hill assist, shift assist (what ever they call those fancy things).

There are a lot of things to get familiar with on this bike, nevermind just the added power I'll have.

My wife and I went in to look at a 2006 they had on sale, and ended up with a brand new 2016. Oh ya, SENA headsets between the helmets.

Prior to this bike I had put close to 50,000 miles between 2001 and 2013 on a BMW R1200C. While riding that bike I was a rather active poster on the chromeheads forum tracking down a few electrical issues and even solving a 'Y2010' bug in their forum software (I'm a software engineer by trade). There are a fair number of RT forums out there.

Before 2001 I spent two or three seasons on an Yamaha Virago 750 which after a spill and insurance payout, I upgraded to the BMW and never looked back.

I'll be on the bike as much as possible to work, to where ever I can and my wife and I hope to be taking some weekend trips around Southern NH/ME/MA/VT. I also ride as long as possible into the fall/winter and with the heated grips/seat I expect that will be extended a bit longer with the RT.

I've been trying to digest the options I have for storage, highway pegs, aux lighting all things I'm 90% sure I'm going to want to add to this bike. I'm also finding lots of forums that cover the RT so I guess I'm glad I picked it up in the winter so I can do all my catching up while sitting at a desk.

Brian

If you haven't, you should stop off at Affordable Beemer Service. Chris is a riot.

Affordable Beemer Service appears to have changed names...:

BMW motorcycle service videos from Chris R. Harris of Team Monkey Productions. Chris Harris, formerly of Affordable Beemer Services, provides service for a select few BMW motorcycles here at Team Monkey Productions LLC. This work is often captured on video and shared with the BMW community via YouTube. Please be patient as we evolve into 2015 and develop our website, t-shirts and other business details. We hope that you will find the wait worthwhile.

Thank you sincerely from the Harris Family

Wow, did he have gastric bypass surgery? He's half the man he use to be! :dontknow:

Pat

According to him, no, he just changed the way and what he eats. He lost a lot of weight. He's still a pisser though.

Affordable Beemer Service appears to have changed names...:

BMW motorcycle service videos from Chris R. Harris of Team Monkey Productions. Chris Harris, formerly of Affordable Beemer Services, provides service for a select few BMW motorcycles here at Team Monkey Productions LLC. This work is often captured on video and shared with the BMW community via YouTube. Please be patient as we evolve into 2015 and develop our website, t-shirts and other business details. We hope that you will find the wait worthwhile.

Thank you sincerely from the Harris Family

I think Monkey Productions is just for the youtube crap. I could be wrong though. He's still funny as hell. Look up his rant on the LT...I'll post it. It's hysterical.

Wow, did he have gastric bypass surgery? He's half the man he use to be! :dontknow:

Pat

According to him, no, he just changed the way and what he eats. He lost a lot of weight. He's still a pisser though.

Wow, he should promote & sell that diet plan. :read: I bet he'd make more money doing that than fixing beemers. :grin:

Pat

Pat

Wow, he should promote & sell that diet plan. :read: I bet he'd make more money doing that than fixing beemers. :grin:

Pat

He said he's thinking about it, but that was a year ago.

Welcome to the forum Brian.

I'm outside Portland, ME -- so just a short ride from you.

The first time I read your post, I missed the ME part and thought you were talking about Portland, OR and being sardonic calling a transcontinental trip "short". Then I picked up on the Maine and realized you really did mean short.

Welcome, Brian. This forum began nearly 20 years ago as BMWRT.com. So as you can tell, we're very RT-centric. I'd say there's more collective RT knowledge here than anywhere else short of BMW itself. And sometimes we wonder about that as our resident experts have diagnosed and solved problems for members that their dealers, often with the help of BMW, had not been able to cure.

Eventually, as our reputation and popularity grew, we expanded to include the K1200 brickhead bikes, the slant-engine'd K1200/1300GT's, and of course the popular GS boxers. That perpetuated a name change to the larger umbrella that is BMWSportTouring (BMWST).

But more than just a collection of experiences and knowledge, I think you'll find this place to be more of a second home, a courteous community of friends where we share ideas, have regional get-togethers, and even hold an annual "UnRally" so that we can put faces with screennames and make new friends. The UnRally alternates from the western half of the U.S. to the eastern half, and back. You're in luck because the 2017 event will be at the Fontana Village Resort in TN, a nice 1000-mile ride from NH, which on your RT is a piece of cake. Here's a link to the our 2017 UnRally forum where you'll find all the information. It's a mid-week event which gives everyone bookended weekends for travel. And I don't have to tell you about the roads along the eastern seaboard states!

So make yourself right at home. Ask any questions you have. And in no time you'll be one of our family of experts offering your accumulated knowledge to the next batch of new members.

Hey Brian lived in Nottingham NH for 25 years finally made a trip up North from my S Indiana outpost know all the good riding in NH that RT will make it a groove.