IGNORED

North Meets South in the Middle 2017

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

2017 would be the 10th Anniversary of NmS. It should be a grand event but due to the last few years of low turn out I suspect it has run it's course. Early events had ride leaders for every style of road rider so that everyone could enjoy a pace in which they were comfortable. I added a dual sport day to get more interest then it rains. For whatever reason things just haven't gelled as I envisioned.

Today I was asked about NmS and I must admit I saw a glimmer of light. If there is still interest in having a 10th NmS, now would be the time to get this battery charged.

Traditionally the last full weekend in April was chosen so as not to fall on Easter or be too close to the Spring Torrey. April still gets rain around here, May begins the dry season and for motels to significantly raise rates.

The last full weekend begins Friday April 28th.

Your input is appreciated.

If a ride across the country to START fails... then I'll be there Joe. I'll bring some extra tires and patch kits too. :wave:

Quality, not quantity..........

The usual suspects will always be there, and never a dull ride when the Dutchman is leading.........

Rain, snow, mud, Bigfoot, aliens, nazi hillbillies,gravel, the Dirty Donkey, Yahoos on rental bikes, the infamous Friday back road ride.......Big Fun!!!

See ya in the spring

Don J :wave:

I missed this event last year what with life events, family commitments etc.

I plan on being there, riding up with The Unusual, I mean The Usual suspects.

Always a great weekend.

I'm sad to say I'm not going to be able to make it this year, due to my wife booking us a non-motorcycle trip leaving on 4/29. But I'd hate to think that this is the last NmS!

And so it goes... I remember the first. And I'll be there at the last. This one needs to continue. Great folks, great riding, great venue.

And a great host. Thanks Joe for doing what you do.

Riding is a challenge. This time of the year in the Sierras is unique. The area awakens after winter. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. All of what makes this ride event special.

No crowds yet. Reasonable rates.

I'll see you all there. :wave:

MB>

Hi Joe,

I think you have done an excellent job and appreciate your past efforts to put together an event that has something for everyone. The weather and easter make it a challenge but I am hopeful this will be the best year every for the NMS.

John

hey,

hold on there partner. This ride is a fixture in the calendar and that will not change :-)

but if it does can you still get the good rate at the comfort inn for the last weekend in April and pick out some good tracks for a dual sport ride? :wave:

Then of course you could always move it back to Casa Harvey........ :stir:

Juanita just fainted. :ohboy:

Get out the smelling salts-

Just reminiscing.....

We had some great times there !!!. :eat::beer::java::Yes:

Quality, not quantity..........

The usual suspects will always be there, and never a dull ride when the Dutchman is leading.........

Rain, snow, mud, Bigfoot, aliens, nazi hillbillies,gravel, the Dirty Donkey, Yahoos on rental bikes, the infamous Friday back road ride.......Big Fun!!!

See ya in the spring

Hahaha, great post Don. :rofl:

Hey Joe, I miss the locals that used to come out lead some rides. Nothing like being lead by someone who knows where the f they are going.

Hey maybe we can find some snow blocked roads again this year!!! :)

If a ride across the country to START fails... then I'll be there Joe. I'll bring some extra tires and patch kits too. :wave:

Could someone else please jab the rubber string into that impossibly small hole, this year????

This thread is useless. I can't tell if the thing is happening or not, when, where, etc. I think I still have a motorcycle buried understuff in the garage. I know I rode it around in Arkansas last year for a couple days.. Not that I'd come, necessarily. But I might. Maybe.

CoarsegoldKid
This thread is useless. I can't tell if the thing is happening or not, when, where, etc. I think I still have a motorcycle buried understuff in the garage. I know I rode it around in Arkansas last year for a couple days.. Not that I'd come, necessarily. But I might. Maybe.

Been to busy I guess. The party is on even if only a few folks show up. When I get up to Oakhurst Comfort Inn I'll secure a few rooms for ya all.

Remember the wood cutters. They could be there too. Also another fly in the ointment is loggers taking up all the rooms in Oakhurst. Loggers are very busy removing trees in the mountains. Oakhurst is the only place for miles with motels.

Just might have to pitch tents in the backyard like the good ole days.

Edited by CoarsegoldKid

Hell yeah! Somebody has to maintain the ph balance of the donkeys beer taps. Plus, I can't let EDDDDDD make a ride without me. He would be sad.

Could someone else please jab the rubber string into that impossibly small hole, this year????

But you did such an awesome job of it last year! I wouldn't have gotten home without your help! (Thanks, again!)

About time you answered my message......and about time I came back to check :thumbsup: I've been wondering about this due to work vacation calendar and such. Wanted to get dates pencilled in before other stuff clogs my calendar AGAIN. Let's ride, where's Cornelius?

Russ

CoarsegoldKid

Dates are April friday 27- Saturday 28. Prices have increased and rooms are going fast. Call Comfort Inn 559-683-8282

Reserve now to be insured a room. 24 hrs cancellation.

No off road this year unless you twist my arm.

Friday is the 28th, Joe. What dates should we reserve? Is there a group rate? Under what name? $120/night??????

Edited by markgoodrich
CoarsegoldKid

For those of you new to the "North Meets South in the Middle" event here is the skinny. Past attendees feel free to comment.

An event for riders of all makes and models of motorcycles. The surrounding area of Oakhurst is beautiful riding country. We meet at the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst. Ask for the BMW group rate when registering. Generally riders have arrived on Friday afternoon. Several come ride with a group from the South on county paved roads. Some roads are one lane wide. Best to have tires up to the challenge of the curvy bits. Keep an eye on this thread for more information on that.

Friday evening you get to meet and greet old friends and make new ones. Saturday route plans are discussed. Riders break up into the normal segments of riding, spirited, moderate, and smell the roses. There are groups for everyone. Yosemite National Park is just up the road. Sequoia National Park isn't too away either. And plenty of country to see in between.

Go have fun on Saturday.

Saturday we'll gather for dinner.

In the past few years I've offered a dual sport ride into the mountains. Weather hasn't always been perfect for DS but last year Russ Hawkins came to play. Russ had a huge smile on his face riding his big KTM. If there is interest I can do that again this year.

So if you are in need of a place to ride on the last weekend of April you won't be dissatisfied. :thumbsup:

Call Comfort Inn 559-683-8282

Edited by CoarsegoldKid
CoarsegoldKid

No off road this year unless you twist my arm.

Room booked so let this be the start of the arm twisting :-)

:thumbsup: The the creek don't rise.

Well if you say it"s not going to rain,that's good enough for me. Reservation made (maybe a month or so ago).I did re soak my pants with scotch guard. You never know.

Rooms are all booked at the Comfort Inn.

You'll need to go to Best Western across the street.

Slightly higher rate and there isn't a group rate.

559-683-2378

Rooms are all booked at the Comfort Inn.

You'll need to go to Best Western across the street.

Slightly higher rate and there isn't a group rate.

559-683-2378

Yup, just had to book a room across the street at Best Western.......

• 2 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid
With all the water, Yosemite should be awesome.

MB>

And you'll have to take the long way to get there. Hwy 41 north of Fish Camp is washed out. That's not bad because the long way is a beautiful ride along the Merced River.

With all the water, Yosemite should be awesome.

MB>

And you'll have to take the long way to get there. Hwy 41 north of Fish Camp is washed out. That's not bad because the long way is a beautiful ride along the Merced River.

With the poppies in FULL bloom.

MB>

CoarsegoldKid

Yesterday hwy 41 from Oakhurst to Yosemite Valley was open. I guess they worked day and night to repair such an important road. All is good.

It's on, the Infamous So Cal to Oakhurst Back Road Ride is here! Friday April 28

See the other post for more info and possible tall tales from some rather dubious sources! :thumbsup:

Edited by mrduck
  • 3 weeks later...
markgoodrich
Out. Just canceled my room.

Naturally, I've got a new idea about how to get it to work, and all the hotels are full....