IGNORED

Road Noise

BigTup

I would suspect that is more a function of the tire's tread design and wear characteristics. I found that tires with few lateral sipes in the center section are pretty quiet when going straight and only make noise when cornering. This was true with my 99 RT (always ran Metzler) and met 15 RT which have Michelin tires.

It's hard to compare the same tyre from one bike to another. My R1150RT tyres were relatively quiet compared to my R1200GS LC. I must admit that the Pilot Road 4 are the quietest and smoothest that I've had.

For me, tyre selection is in the order of grip, longevity, noise and cost.

My '09 RT seems to bring up noise from the front tire. I'm considering a newer bike (for many reasons), but I wonder if the newer bikes are quieter.

The issue would be tires, not the bike.

Which ones are you running? how many miles on them?

RPG

My '09 RT seems to bring up noise from the front tire. I'm considering a newer bike (for many reasons), but I wonder if the newer bikes are quieter.

Morning BigTup

The 1200RT hexheads do have a LOT of frontal road noise coming up through the lower dash gap.

Mine does it with any tire brand that I have tried (even new tires)

You might also try taping over your horn as a test. My 09 horn was making some of the noise as the air blew over it's opening at road speed (I changed it's mounting direction & that helped)

I rode a friends RTwc last fall & it did seem quieter in that area than my 09.

Fixed.

Enjoy the new ride.

:wave:

For me, foam ear plugs work wonders to eliminate unwanted road noise. But hey, I know how hard it is to come up with a plausible excuse to buy a new motorcycle. :whistle: Now, this sounds like a very good one to me! :grin:

Pat