IGNORED

05 GS Oil Leak on front of the motor

Matts_12GS

Hi everyone, my 05 12GS has just over 83000 miles on it. I had noticed it was a touch low on oil and topped it off, with too much oil... :dopeslap:

I decided to do an oil change and fix the level, but forgot to get a new crush washer (since I was getting my filter at cycle gear) and recycled it. I came back from a ride and noticed it was weeping a little oil down into the the bashplate. I pulled the plate, snugged the filter, and did another test ride. Still, a weep.

I bit the bullet, bought more oil, a new OEM filter and crush washer. I checked for extra oil filter seals and I did the change. I was much more careful about the levels, even doing the "oil dance" to make sure it was right after my test ride.

I'm seeing a seeping, but it looked to be coming from under the alternator belt cover. I pulled that off, cleaned it well and put it back back together. I cleaned a little oil out of the airbox too.

It's all back together and I ran it for about 10 minutes to get it hot on the centerstand and saw no leaking...

Could this be overfill residue blowing out? Could it be a seal someplace compromised by too much oil in the crankcase?

Evening Matt

You will probably have to ride it a while to see if your leak comes back. The 2005 1200 engines did have some oil leaking issues up front, mainly from the front balance shaft sealing area, (later 1200 hexheads engines were redesigned in that area)

Evening Matt

Kind of a pain in the a$$ but not extremely technical.

There are there places for it to leak (including a fork seal with oil blowing back on engine) so clean it, ride it, re-examine it before making a decision on what to do.

Once you are 100% sure what/where the leak is then we can help you with a game plan on how best to repair it.

Don't these have a vent that tends to leak on top and leak down the front or back of the engine when they have too much oil?

Maybe I have this confused with my K1200RS engine...

Edited by NickInSac
Don't these have a vent that tends to leak on top and leak down the front or back of the engine when they have too much oil?

Maybe I have this confused with my K1200RS engine...

Evening NickInSac

The 05 1200RT does have a crankcase vent but it vents into the air filter box. There can be a bit of oil seepage from the air box if it gets way overfull with vented oil but that is rear of engine.

On the external crankcase vent-- You must be thinking of the very early 1100RS (earlier than mid 1994) as those had a vent tube on rear of engine that vented crankcase oil fumes to atmosphere.

Edited by dirtrider

Gents,

I have committed the heresy of cleaning my GS up and while pounds lighter from the removal of brakedust, it's looking great.

I put the belt cover back on and rode the bike about 50 miles the other night. I've noticed no seeping, no weeping and no signs of any oil inside the skid plate either.

I'll give it another tank or so of gas. If it starts again, I think I may take your advice DR and try a little bit of bars leak on it before I go after trying to do the shaft seal.