IGNORED

Fold up rear foot pegs on 04 1150RT?

bradman

I've seen other BMW motorcycles with their rear foot pegs folded up and out of the way. My pegs have a spring in them keeping them "deployed" and out. What can I do to fold up my pegs and have them out of the way, if anything? Thanks

That's wild.

Never seen passenger pegs set up to stay down.

Maybe the PO installed front pegs to prevent the passenger from accidentally folding up the pegs ? Who knows.

Here's a link to the peg parts diagram .

You may have to replace the pegs with the correct ones. As the actual peg male end is diff.

Try Just removing the springs as that may work too. Experiment .

The "detent" is the metal, square, spacer. Hard to say without seeing.

Ebay shopping could work if you need pegs.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0499-USA-04-2004-R22-BMW-R_1150_RT_00_0419,0499_&diagId=46_0308

Here is a photo of what it looks like now. So I should simply remove the spring? Shows what I know, I thought that maybe the bikes came that way for some reason. lol.

DSC02074_zpsgfbos5qi.jpg

Edited by bradman

That looks like a Suburban Machinery aftermarket rider peg lowering kit. If you remove the extra parts the pegs will stay up.

I took out the spring and they just flop forward, so I removed the pegs permanently. I'll look around for some more. I guess.

You have the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit on your passenger pegs. With them on you cannot get the pegs to stay up. If you remove the piece between the peg and the sideplate you will be able to leave them in the upright position.

The following is from Suburban Machinery's webpage. Note the part about the pegs always being in the down position.

Passenger foot peg lowering kit

R850R - R1100R - R1100RS - R100RT - R1150RT

For a wide angle view of an RT with passenger pegs installed,

CLICK HERE

After numerous requests we have come up

with something special for your favorite passenger.

With 1.75" of offset, passengers with long legs will be able to stretch out in greater comfort with these foot peg adapters.

Please note, with this kit the pegs are spring loaded and always in the down position.

P3N R1200RT/R1150RT/R1100RT/R850R/R1100R/R1100RS Passenger Foot peg lowering Kit - $189.95

Add to Cart

P17- K1600GT/GTL -R11/1150RT-R1200RT-R11/1150GS-R1200GS

Passenger Foot peg raising Kit - $189.95 Add to Cart

Good eye!

Yes, remove both retainers and pins, delete the aluminum block and reinstall the rubber covered peg only.

Then you'll have stock, folding pegs. Keep the blocks for now as a current or future passenger may prefer them if they have long legs.

Thanks guys. I've followed your instructions and am having some difficulty getting the pegs on. I'm going to try it again later today with some grease.

Thanks for the information. I would not have figured it out. lol.

Clive Liddell

Hi Brad,

I wouldn't grease there.

The thing to remember is that the rear foot pegs use the actual rubber to act as a "spring" to sort of latch the peg in the up (and down) position.

So, just pushing inwards on the peg as you try and insert the pin should allow the pin to slip in much easier.