IGNORED

Throttlemaister

MoteroNC

Just wanted to inquire if there are any r1200rt riders that are using the throttlemaister solution for long rides. If so what is your experience?

Hello MoteroNC:

I assume you are a fellow North Carolinian and welcome to the forums. Many members here do use the Throttlemiester, others use CrampBuster. Some of my friends prefer the CrampBuster because you still have control over the bike. I will let those who own and or have used the Throttlemeister give their opines on it.

I am curious, you are under the HexHead section, what year and model bike do you have? Some of the 05-13 RT's have Cruise Control as an option. I am not sure if that can be retroactively added at the dealer. Never hurts to ask though.

Again, welcome to the BMWST forums. There are some great and highly knowledgeable people here. You are in great hands.

Mike

Just wanted to inquire if there are any r1200rt riders that are using the throttlemaister solution for long rides. If so what is your experience?

Why would you need a Throttlemeister on a R1200RT?

AFAIK It is already equipped with an OEM cruise control. (Mine is)

BTW I would not have a bike without it.

Morning MoteroNC

Sounds like you might have a 1200RT-P? (police bike)

On the non-cruise control 1200RT's (personally) I usually just use an 8M-4991 Caterpillar "O" ring on the twist grip as a throttle lock. Cheap (usually under $3.00) works good to hold throttle as set, allows throttle position changes as needed while riding, & can easily be over-ridden by just turning the twist grip manually.

At least a Cat. "O" ring is a good starting point to see if you like & will use a throttle lock device.

O%20ring%20cruise_zpsikbtrwaf.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

Believe it or not.. I know of at least one RT, that was sold as a base model.. which meant no cruise control.

When looking for my RT, our "local" dealer had a matte finish RT for sale that did not have cruise control. I think it was a 2010 or 2011 model. I actually passed on it because it didn't have cruise control.. but, anyway, my point is.. there were definitely (non RT-P) RT's sans cruise control.

To answer your question, I have a T/M and sold dozens of them for years at the shop I worked at.

They are very pretty, I think in polished and the CHP opt'ed to use them from the original 1100's to the last of the 1200's.

My gripe with them is with the reverse thread, in day to day riding, it engages with your pinky hanging over the end of the grip if you have largish hands so every once in a while you have to disengage it.

An alternative would be the similar product by Bob's BMW, the Wrist Rest. It's standard thread prevents it from accidently engaging. The latest fitment avail is a bit vague so call them.

I believe the Kaoko product also is standard thread so another option.

None of these are as pretty as a set of polished T/M ends, but there you go.

Very creative! I will try it. You are correct I have a 09 R1200RT-P and did not realize the others already have the cruise control. I am in the process of purchasing a 06 1200GS as well.

Thank you

I took some measurements with my calipers and found the gap between the weight spacer and the rubber grip is .1 inch or 2.5 mm on the throttle side and .14 inch or 3.5 mm on the left side. Do you think that is normal as I see no adjustment points.

I took some measurements with my calipers and found the gap between the weight spacer and the rubber grip is .1 inch or 2.5 mm on the throttle side and .14 inch or 3.5 mm on the left side. Do you think that is normal as I see no adjustment points.

Morning MoteroNC

Yes, pretty normal. As long as the twist grip rubber doesn't drag on the end weight then no problems. (the gap will also change as the grip heater expands the twist grip tube with grip heaters turned on)

The Cat. "O" ring should work with what you have but is you want a little more gap you can install a very thin washer between the end weight & the handle bar insert.

Hey MoteroNC - My old R1100R had a throttle Meister. My experience was that while on flat road it was fine. Remember it only holds the amount of gas flow constant so when you come to a hill (up or down) your speed will change accordingly. It was great to relieve wrist cramps or finger tingles.

I have found (thank you MotoMark1) that just gripping the gas tank with your legs will relieve the finger tingles. And from Physical Therapist friends of mine, they have explained as this action relieves stress on T7 which is where the nerves for your hands leave the spine.

Back to the TM - it is good, but not all that. I would go with the cramp buster for less money and enjoy the full cruise control on the new bike.

Edited by Sonor

Not a R1200T rider, but my R1100RT came with a Throttlemeister. It's a nice looking bit of kit, but in all candor, a Vista Cruise is more convenient to use, since you can engage/disengage with your thumb.

If I were to buy a Throttlemeister I would go for black with a textured finish, as the shiny polished one can pick up sun reflections, and I had to wrap a length of rubber tape around it in order to use in wet conditions.

Edited by Selden

I'd recommend look at the ATLAS throttle lock, it is one of the newer ones on the market and got its commercial start through a kickstarter campaign.

I have no part of the company but they are supporting our New Sweden 450 ride this year.

Not a R1200T rider, but my R1100RT came with a Throttlemeister. It's a nice looking bit of kit, but in all candor, a Vista Cruise is more convenient to use, since you can engage/disengage with your thumb.

Morning Selden

The Vista cruise (or the generic substitutes) are a GREAT working easy to use throttle lock BUT a real pain to install on the late BMW's due to the thin throttle tube & glued on grip cover over the heated grip wire.

I did one on a 1200GS for rider heading to Alaska & beyond last spring & had to make a custom mount , move the grip on the tube, epoxy in the tube void, & grind the little brake ring thinner. (I had half a day into the job to get it to function properly).

The rider I did it for really loves it but he didn't have to do the install himself. (& truthfully, once a rider figures out how to flip the yellow Cat. "O" ring over with his little finger that works just as good as the Vista & only takes seconds to install).

We installed throttle Meisters on both our bikes. We live in twistie country and would never engage the cruise control in the mountains, the throttle Meister allows our hands to get a rest. I can let go of the grip and the bike will slowly reduce speed instead of suddenly dropping speed. The cruise control is great for the interstate but we never seem to spend too much time there. Our 1100's came equipped with throttle Meisters so we just continued with the brand out of laziness rather than anything else. My 1974 R90/6 had a locking thumb nut under the throttle, somewhat like an outboard motor does today, I personally got so used to a throttle lock that it is hard to ride without something to keep the throttle open. The caterpillar o ring would do much like the throttle Meister, but the throttle Meister is so much more controllable.

I have a throttlemeister on my F700GS. Easy install. Works great. Not as good as the electronic cruise control on the RRT, but . . . it's works great for what it is. Makes highway riding a lot easier.

I like the O'Ring. Even found a CAT dealer sort of close by with them listed as in stock. What else are week-ends for .... Cheers DR.