IGNORED

R1200RT-LC vs R1200GS-LC

bobbybob

Anyone here spent time riding both bikes, maybe even owning both? I left RT's when I sold my hexhead RT for a 2015 GS-LC. I did test ride an LC-RT just before buying the GS so I am aware of the significant improvements in handling made with the LC-RT's. I keep wondering if the RT is maybe even as flickable as the GS, and thinking about having one in the stable along with the GS. Anybody done both? TIA. :wave:

I have rt, love it, my friend, who is a much more technical rider than me says he feels the gs front end is very light and unstable in tight turns. Given that, he can lap me at will due to his skill.

Both fantastic machines. I like gs but like rt better for my age, size, riding style, and wind protection.

Wish I could own both.

Alan

The RT might be a bit heavier, but it also has the front 17" wheel. And better tires. The GS is lighter, but has a 19" front wheel and is a LOT taller. My guess is that the same rider would be slightly faster on the RT in really tight curves.

Hard to justify having both simply for how they handle since I think they would be close. I wanted the wind protection and fancier electronics the RT offers. But, I think I would be able to make a GS quite comfortable for 800 mile days with some work. I am so happy with the RT that I would not take the chance on a GS. But, had I bought the new GS I might be saying the same thing about it!

I currently have a R1200GS LC after a 2007 and 2011 RT. I would rate the RT better in the curves although a good set of street oriented tires on the GS will make it handle almost as well.

Now, I've got nothing against owning more than one motorcycle at a time but if that's not the objective here, check out the GSA! A little bit of both in one bike. :thumbsup:

Pat

Have had both the RTW and GSAW with low suspension. Weather protection 20-30% better on the RT because of the bodywork, but the GSAW was a better overall fit for my riding choices simply because I didn't want to be confined to pavement or good hard pack. For me it felt more nimble too. Every time I took the RT onto gravel I was cringing the whole time. Did like the heated seat, audio package, and central locking on the RT though. GSAW is worth the extra bucks over the GS IMHO. It's range and standard protection makes it a pretty great package...I may sound conflicted because I am but too many toys for both!

Have any of you really wrung out an LC-RT in the twisties...vs a GSA? Thats where a lot of my riding takes place. My old hexhead RT was not real happy there and felt quite ponderous compared to my GS-LC. But I know the new LC-RT has new steering geometry, just haven't been able to try one in the twisties so far.

Obviously not being wrung out to it's full potential because of limitations (Me) but it handles beautifully. No surprises. If I remember correctly from the WV UN you are a rather tall guy? Your knees will be a little more cramped compared to the older Hexhead RTs and way more than on a GS or GSA. May or may not be an issue. :dontknow:

Pat

Nice vid--and I am heading up to the snake tomorrow. :)

I also noticed one other thing I miss re. the RT--its quiet. I always liked the "stealth mode" of my old hexhead. Or is that just a result of the mic placement for the camera? My GS is kinda rumbly when accel/decel thru the twisties. I prefer quiet.

Edited by bobbybob
Nice vid--and I am heading up to the snake tomorrow. :)

I always liked the "stealth mode" of my old hexhead. Or is that just a result of the mic placement for the camera? My GS is kinda rumbly when accel/decel thru the twisties. I prefer quiet.

Funny coincidence on the Snake!

Just a Sena Mic tucked up under my chin piece. Refined is the best definition I can give you of the LC-RT. :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks. Do you also have a GSA? If so, and the GSA is a "10" in handling the twisties, how would the RT rate? Or maybe the RT's the 10....

I guess I need to get one up to the twisties.

Edited by bobbybob

I have a 12 Camhead regular GS along side of the LC-RT. I once said a well ridden GS could spank an RT on twisty roads. Now, I've been running Heidenau tires on the GS for a few seasons and I don't feel as confident with that statement. Maybe some road based tires and a trip south could have me believing that again.

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

I have a 14' RT and have spent a good deal of time on a 15' GS, either a rental or my friends GS. Both of us race Ducati's and feel we have a pretty good feel for handling a bike. My friend always felt his GS handled better than my RT but this January we took a trip out of LA on two rental 16' RT's. Lots of canyons over 5 days. Once home he decided to get an RT. YMMV.....

Edited by jswisc
Thanks. Do you also have a GSA? If so, and the GSA is a "10" in handling the twisties, how would the RT rate? Or maybe the RT's the 10....

If the GSA raters a 10, then the RT would be an 11.

And thats coming from a pre-LC RT, correct?

Exploreinman
Have any of you really wrung out an LC-RT in the twisties...vs a GSA? Thats where a lot of my riding takes place. My old hexhead RT was not real happy there and felt quite ponderous compared to my GS-LC. But I know the new LC-RT has new steering geometry, just haven't been able to try one in the twisties so far.

I went from an 05 Hexhead RT to a 16 GS. The GS is so much easier to ride in the tight twisties than my older RT. I have not ridden the liquid cooled RT, but I'm sure there's a vast difference between the 05 model and the 2016. I switched to a GS because of better airflow for the hot southeast summers and the lighter handling in the twisties.

And thats coming from a pre-LC RT, correct?

Correct.

Anyone here spent time riding both bikes, maybe even owning both? I left RT's when I sold my hexhead RT for a 2015 GS-LC. I did test ride an LC-RT just before buying the GS so I am aware of the significant improvements in handling made with the LC-RT's. I keep wondering if the RT is maybe even as flickable as the GS, and thinking about having one in the stable along with the GS. Anybody done both? TIA. :wave:

I gave the GSW a try in 2014. It was one of several attempts to warm up to the ADV style bikes. I've had a few of the more street oriented bikes from this category like all three versions of the Multistrada, a Tiger 1050 and ultimately the GSW. They are all very enjoyable bikes, especially the current Multistrada with the DVT. That is a brilliant bike. However, they require too much compromise to make them appear well rounded and those compromises make them less useful street bikes when compared to an RT. Very, very few of us will be taking any of these bikes offroad to the point where taller suspension is required. If we really want to ride bikes on dirt roads get the right tires, you don't need a GS.

What I really missed with the GS that I can get on the RT include:

* 17" front wheel that makes turning so effortless. The GSW turns well, the RT brilliantly.

* Multiple settings for heated grips. GSW heated grips are either a bit too warm or not quite warm enough. RTW has I believe five not two settings.

* RTW has heated seats with several heat settings. GSW no heated seat.

* GSW has a lighter weight on paper because that weight is listed without bags that not only add to the cost of the GSW but bring the weight right where the RT's weight is. Take the bags off the RT which are included in the price and we are not talking apples to apples. AND you did not have to pay extra for the side bags on the RT. RT carries weight lower which lets it handle better too.

* The fairing on the RT not only provides better weather protection, it has nice storage and great range of windshield adjustment.

* Wonder wheel is much more functional on the RT. It is very limited on the GS.

* RT's luggage is more spacious on all three bags.

If the RT was not available I would have liked the GSW more. It is a great bike. I'd have missed that great 17" front wheel from a real street bike but I could have gotten okay with it. I'm just glad the RTW was as great as it is. I got the GSW because the previous RT was not good enough and the GSW was better than the previous RT. The current RT blows away the GS for me.

If you are happy with the GS the RT is certainly worth a try. Take your GS, add better handling, weight being carried lower, bigger luggage, more storage, more adjustment to the rider comfort and aids and better protection from the elements and you have the RT.

Nice comparison, thanks for posting that!

+1 :thumbsup:

One other factor, IMO.

Where one lives and rides.

In some places, the RT is a real bear for some/a good part of the year as a result of the excellent weather protection.

Riding in 90-100-110ish on an RT can be a tad warm.

The GS allows more air flow, IMO.

That may be a big factor for some.

Can't go wrong with either model wrt fun factor and ride.

With the GS you can go after market bags and get a huge carry capacity, something the RT doesn't offer AFAIK. (aftermarket big boys)

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman
Have there been any changes to the RT from 2014 to 2017?

Evening bobbybob

Been a few--minor water pump internal update, transmission change, clutch change of some sort, some sort if internal shaft torsional damping change. Probably a few more minor changes that have quietly been slid into production.

Exploreinman

One other factor, IMO.

Where one lives and rides.

In some places, the RT is a real bear for some/a good part of the year as a result of the excellent weather protection.

Riding in 90-100-110ish on an RT can be a tad warm.

The GS allows more air flow, IMO.

That may be a big factor for some.

The RT wind & weather protection works too well for me living in the southeast and was a big factor in me switching to a GS. In tight, tight twisties like we have in the southern appalachian mountains, the GS maneuvers much quicker and easier.

Paint color AFAIK.

Pat

Or, I should have said. Paint color ITBISWUDRAF. (I think but I should wait until dirt-rider answers first) :grin:

Pat

I have an R12RTW and a 2011 R12GSA. I love them both for different reasons. If you were never going off road with the GS it would all boil down to how much time you are doing interstate speeds. The more time at high speeds the more you need an RT over a GS. The same goes for how much bad weather you ride in. On a sunny mild day going below 50 mph the GS is perfection.

Edited by selyab

Thanks for all the comments.

More questions:

1) Is the OEM windshield good or do you need aftermarket?

2) Seat--same question?

3) What crash bars do you use?

The windshield works fine for me but maybe, I don't know what I don't know. :dontknow:

The seat believe it or not, is a better attempt than previous tries. :stir:

I put some R&D Racing carbon head covers on mine, more for esthetics. :lick:

Pat

Anyone dealing with hot weather could look at the Bailey cee short windshield for the RT. About 2" lower and allows more air to your chest in hot weather.

Exploreinman
I have an R12RTW and a 2011 R12GSA. I love them both for different reasons. If you were never going off road with the GS it would all boil down to how much time you are doing interstate speeds. The more time at high speeds the more you need an RT over a GS. The same goes for how much bad weather you ride in. On a sunny mild day going below 50 mph the GS is perfection.

+1

Thanks for all the comments.

More questions:

1) Is the OEM windshield good or do you need aftermarket?

I have been on one stock BMW in their history that worked. But my helmet is a bit higher than most/

2) Seat--same question?

:rofl: My GT stock is pretty nice, there has been one other in their history, but, there are plenty who stay stock.

3) What crash bars do you use?

I've done both and sold both...

Was disappointed in what I consider to be annoyingly noisy and unrefined drivetrains..but you already know that I feel that way from my postings.

I prefer a GS (or any adventure style bike) riding position. The wide bars and leverage, along with the upright riding position are very comfortable IMO.

Accordingly, I think a GS is more "flickable.

As for your latest questions regarding windscreen and seat...

The standard 2014 RT LC screen was not good for me.

Put concentrated airflow right in my face shield, which I prefer to have open/up.

Laminar lip helped a lot. Didn't fit very well though. I think LL just sells the 2013 RT lip. I don't know though, haven't checked their site recently.

Any shield with a flip on the top would help.

There's a nice gent here that sells "Werks" screens. They look to have a nice flip.. and they are priced right.

I think Aeroflow's latest screens have a pronounced flip at the top as well, but they are pricier.

As for the seat..didn't keep the bike long enough to have much opinion about it.

Good luck BB.

Edited by DMilan
Bill_Walker

Something nobody else has brought up: what about the R1200R? You lose the telelever front end, but you should get the quicker handling of a 17" front wheel with the greater, um, ventilation of a unfaired bike. And without the height of a GS. Bags and windshields are available. I gather there is a somewhat lower level of technology integration.

Has anybody here ridden one? I haven't. But it's on my list to check out if I ever get serious about getting a new bike, for many of the reasons brought up in this thread.

Put a Parabellum Scout fairing on it, choose from the multiple height screens, and enjoy.

Looks like an R 90/100 S cousin.

We set up maybe 5 like that when the R1200 came out.

Raves...

Bill_Walker

Spec-sheet drawbacks of the R1200R: a 4.7 gallon tank, instead of the RT's 6.6. BMW quotes the same "60 mpg at a constant 55 mph" mileage for both, but that would be for an R1200R without bags or windshield. Also, alternator output is down from 540 W to 508 W. Still seems pretty ample.

Bill,

Friend, customer, set up his R 1200 R w/the Scout.

2up, with camping gear.

Cross country trip.

Averaged mid 50's mpg.

Well over 200 mile range, and not conservative speeds.

Plenty of range, IMO.

Has anyone ever mounted a topcase in place of the pillion seat on an RT? I have that setup on my GS, really like the backrest it provides plus mass centralization....

Pricey option. I doubt there are any pillion plates designed for the RT but thought I'd ask.

I did take a test ride yesterday on a 2017 RT in the twisties north of Asheville. It was a good ride. I am kinda hooked. I would need a Cee Bailey shield, some Ilium Works bar risers, and *some* kind of crash bars. Any suggestions?

Side note--the 2017's transmission is redesigned and no longer clunky, and the GSAP is as smooth as a paddle shifter.

Pricey option. I doubt there are any pillion plates designed for the RT but thought I'd ask.

I did take a test ride yesterday on a 2017 RT in the twisties north of Asheville. It was a good ride. I am kinda hooked. I would need a Cee Bailey shield, some Ilium Works bar risers, and *some* kind of crash bars. Any suggestions?

Side note--the 2017's transmission is redesigned and no longer clunky, and the GSAP is as smooth as a paddle shifter.

I haven't ridden a 2017 RT yet, but I did test ride a 2017 GSA to see if there was an improvement.

I agree, the transmission was noticeably improved over my '14RT and '15GS.

I disliked the clunky nature of shifting those machines in the lower gears.

Was one of the more prominent niggles that I had with the bikes.

Edited by DMilan
Has anyone ever mounted a topcase in place of the pillion seat on an RT? I have that setup on my GS, really like the backrest it provides plus mass centralization....

You could mount BMW's Soft Bag 3 Small on top of the pillion seat, which should make a nice backrest.

41pfeAE%2B9-L.jpg

Or the Large:

$_58.JPG

You could mount BMW's Soft Bag 3 Small on top of the pillion seat, which should make a nice backrest.

41pfeAE%2B9-L.jpg

Or the Large:

$_58.JPG

Thanks and yeah, thats probably what I'll end up doing, with it resting against a hard topcase. I did that on my 07 RT and it worked, I'd just prefer to put the hard topcase in that spot. Dont think thats gonna work though. Might get a Givi Trekker case for the hardcase mount--bet it wouldn't look any wonkier than that huge 50+ litre monstrosity BMW sells for north of $1200.

Edited by bobbybob

41pfeAE%2B9-L.jpg

/$_58.JPG[/img]

I used the small soft bag on the passenger seat between me and the top box for a cross country run on a K1600. It was brilliant. I had a couple of other bags of similar size and the large BMW bag as well. What made the BMW brand the winner was not the matching brand but the semi rigid base, being waterproof, great mounting points to have on the passenger seat and enough but not too many pockets.

It gave me some support when needed but was not so intrusive that it was hard to mount the bike or push me too far forward. It done good for me.

I tried a BMW soft bag a few years ago, the small one pictured above.

It supplied storage... but really... it provided no support for my back.

Even on my 2010 GS, with the mounting plate in place of the pillion seat and a Variocase with pads, it provide no real back support for me as the rider.

Maybe with risers and a dedicated effort to sit back it might.

Now, if used as a backrest for the pillion, when mounted aft, as it normally is, I suppose it provides a useful passenger backrest.

Anyway, for me, I can't imagine a soft bag providing much support, unless it's stuffed to the brim, and even then.

I have a pretty bad back. Run over by a truck, literally, and dozens of complication from sports/accidens\ts.

That said, I can't imagine using backrests on a mc for the rider.

Pillion yes...

YMMV

I have a pretty bad back. Run over by a truck, literally, and dozens of complication from sports/accidens\ts.

That said, I can't imagine using backrests on a mc for the rider.

Pillion yes...

YMMV

Have you tried it?
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The RT wind & weather protection works too well for me living in the southeast and was a big factor in me switching to a GS. In tight, tight twisties like we have in the southern appalachian mountains, the GS maneuvers much quicker and easier.

Your experience regarding the GS maneuvering quicker and easier than the RT is the opposite of mine. I like my 2014 GS but it certainly takes more effort to get that tall 19 inch wheel turned than my RTs did. My RTs were 2007 and 2011 but I doubt that the LC RT handles worse than they did.