IGNORED

R1200RT-LC vs R1200GS-LC

bobbybob

The 19" wheel does take more effort to turn than a 17" wheel but then the GS has a wider handlebar than the RT so that compensates for it. The 19" wheel also provides more stability at speed. Coming from both an RT (2007) and a Triumph Trophy (2014), I can tell you that my 2017 GS is easier to ride in the twisties than either of those.

The 19" wheel does take more effort to turn than a 17" wheel but then the GS has a wider handlebar than the RT so that compensates for it. The 19" wheel also provides more stability at speed. Coming from both an RT (2007) and a Triumph Trophy (2014), I can tell you that my 2017 GS is easier to ride in the twisties than either of those.

Then it must be a difference in riding technique because my GS definitely takes more effort to get the front wheel turned even with the wider bars. I can get the GS to run through the curves almost as well as I could my RTs but the extra effort is noticeable.

Coming from both an RT (2007) and a Triumph Trophy (2014), I can tell you that my 2017 GS is easier to ride in the twisties than either of those.

Coming from an '07 RT, yes you would say that and so would I. But the new LC RTs are an entirely different animal than the hexheads and camheads. They share the same frame as the LC-GS's and the steering geometry is also quite similar, so the LC-RT's feel very light and flickable compared to the earlier years.

Edit: I had always heard that a 17" front tire was much more stable at speed than a 19 or 21 inch....

Edited by bobbybob
  • 7 months later...

It looks like I'm 8 months late to this tread, but this is a topic that I have been thinking a lot about lately. I have a rt lc and it a so good its ridiculous. I bought the bike for my wife as 2up ride. Now its the only bike I want to ride even 1up. Whats got me thinking about a gs is, I've spent 18 days over the last two summers in norther cal with this bike. We absolutely love all the b mountain roads there. Some of them are very rough, bumpy, potholes, sections of gravel, and extremely dirty! I have been very impressed how the rt can not only run this roads but do it at pace (all but the roughest of them). On top of that I can get that big girl flying though the air on a roller coaster of a goat path and never touch down a hard part or bottom the suspension and thats a loaded bike with a 210 pound rider. I've ridden a few adv bike before that couldn't do what the rt is doing. It really makes me scratch my head. The front end of the bike is sweet! Very little dive, sticks and when it breaks is none issue (although it does tend to be hard on front tires). Both the front and rear are predictable when they get loose. No tail siding out, no front wanting to tuck and fall from under you. You put it on smooth clean asphalt and it will run with anything one the street. It is without a question the most complete bike I have ever had.

That said when it gets really nasty it a bit like riding a bull and I worry those mag rims are going to leave me stranded in nowhere land. It's far from idea on gravel, but I aways have street rubber on it and I'm not a experienced dirt guy to begin with so I take it easy. Seeing I own a rt and won't get rid of it until the wife says she likes something else better I really really don't what a gs, but in the back of my head I keep thinking about this points:

- spoke rims that are much more durable

- 2.5+ inches more suspension travel and if it anything like the rt, very little penalty in fork dive and squat on exit that any adv bike (even though my sample size is smallish) as not been able to over come.

- little more upright and hands a little higher for even better feel on the front in dirt and when it gets loose

At the end of the day these nasty roads I refer to the gs would still be a compromise. I think a 500 class bike would be idea there, but that is far from a well rounded ride. Can anyone compare the rt lc to the gs lc when the going gets rough one asphalt? I don't think there is much question it is better on the dirt. I also would think I'm given up a little when the pace gets hot on smooth sweepers, but that would be acceptable to me.

edit: it would also help with my biggest complaint of the rt, It is a bit hot back there when temps start rising. I had to ditch the stock shield because at 6'3" it didn't really work at any position at any speed over 45. I have a standard werks that I cut to be a little skinnier than the stock and its livable but still my comfort zone is about 5+ degrees lower than I am accustom to (uncut it was a least 10 degrees).

Edited by rodantking

After 9700 miles on the GS I do not miss the 15 RT at all.

Do not get me wrong I loved my RT dearly, I just love the GS more.

It is a wonderful bike for me and I got it in the lowered flavor. It has made me fall in love with motorcycling again at 62. I run it with a tail bag and no side cases most to the time and it is a dream in the twisties.

47 mpg and I hammer it all the time. I took it to the BMW national this year about 1200 miles each way. We did 750 miles the first day and rode the rest into the National the next day. It is comfortable to ride over distance.

Waiting on my RDL seat and it will be the best bike I ever owned.

Answer this honestly: w/o considering off-road riding whatsoever, if you've owned or ridden both GSW and RTW which bike would you choose if it could only be one bike, AND, they both weighed the same.

Anyone here spent time riding both bikes, maybe even owning both? I left RT's when I sold my hexhead RT for a 2015 GS-LC. I did test ride an LC-RT just before buying the GS so I am aware of the significant improvements in handling made with the LC-RT's. I keep wondering if the RT is maybe even as flickable as the GS, and thinking about having one in the stable along with the GS. Anybody done both? TIA. :wave:

Have a RT-LC. Had my friend's GSA-LC for some time while he was away. Rider position is more like sitting on a chair on a GS whereas on an RT your knees are more bent. Honestly, if you are not taking it off road, in my opinion RT would be better. Better weather protection. I know many are not fans but I love my music on an RT. It is just more fun all around for me.