IGNORED

96 r1100rsl trans change, 2 easy questions

ncstatecamp

ncstatecamp

Just finished changing the fluids out of my 96 r1100rsl, using mobil 1 75w-90 for both trans and final drive (such a pita its just over 1 bottle of volume!)

my 2 questions

1. Seems my trans drain bolt didn't come out a crush washer on it (no its not stuck to the face), searching around it seems like some oilheads didn't have crushwasher on the transmission drain bolts but did everywhere else. Does this apply here (I couldn't find a solid answer which bikes did which didnt year set wise)? My bolt has a bit of a tapered face and the one crush washer I had from the kit I bought from Beemerboneyard didnt sit flush like it did on every other bolt w/ a crush washer. Thoughts?

2. I have a copy of the BMW factory manual and in it says 800ml of fluid for the transmission, which should also equal to bottom of the threads. I put in 800ml using one of these . Should I top it off until bottom of the threads or leave it as is? I only ask b.c on the Final drive which says 230ml (also bottom of threads) it did come to the bottom of the threads.

Clive Liddell

Hi ncsc,

There was a change around that time (1996) and later bikes had no crush washer on the gearbox drain. At the time I had a late 1995 and later a 2000 and the '95 called for a crush washer.

I tried using a crush washer in the 2000 and it oozed oil some what so have never used one there since with no leaks!

I use one litre of 80W-90 oil and fill the final drive to the bottom of the threads and the rest in the gearbox.

Just finished changing the fluids out of my 96 r1100rsl, using mobil 1 75w-90 for both trans and final drive (such a pita its just over 1 bottle of volume!)

my 2 questions

1. Seems my trans drain bolt didn't come out a crush washer on it (no its not stuck to the face), searching around it seems like some oilheads didn't have crushwasher on the transmission drain bolts but did everywhere else. Does this apply here (I couldn't find a solid answer which bikes did which didnt year set wise)? My bolt has a bit of a tapered face and the one crush washer I had from the kit I bought from Beemerboneyard didnt sit flush like it did on every other bolt w/ a crush washer. Thoughts?

2. I have a copy of the BMW factory manual and in it says 800ml of fluid for the transmission, which should also equal to bottom of the threads. I put in 800ml using one of these . Should I top it off until bottom of the threads or leave it as is? I only ask b.c on the Final drive which says 230ml (also bottom of threads) it did come to the bottom of the threads.

Afternoon ncstatecamp

I have seen them with & without a crush washer. As a rule I install one if it is missing but if yours doesn't leak then leave it be as is.

On the trans fill capacity?-- My BMW book shows .8 liter for an oil change & 1.0 liter for the initial fill.

So how much goes back in REALLY depends on how long you drain it & how much comes out. Safe way is to just fill until it comes the bottom of fill plug thread WITH A LEVEL BIKE in all directions.

I don't like to level the bike or diddle around & try to fill to bottom of threads so I usually drain my HOT trans overnight then with bike on side stand just dump in 1 US quart. That might not be gnats-ass perfect but it has worked just fine for me for over 20 years now.