IGNORED

Rubber grip replacement

joeb

Howdy all.

Apologies if this thread is redundant, but I couldn't locate the info in other threads.

03r1150rt. Heated grips.

My hand grips are deteriorating faster than I am. Local dealer says BMW only sells the grips as part of the whole heated grip replacement package. It has been suggested that I might try using two right side grips from the unheated bars . These may slide over the heating elements using hairspray as a lubricant. Does anyone know if the rt hand grips will be the proper size ? If not, is there a better source for grips ? Thanks much.

My grips were probably okay, but I slipped some "Grip Puppies" over mine. Gives a litle more cushion and looks nicer than the faded BMW ones.

My grips were probably okay, but I slipped some "Grip Puppies" over mine. Gives a litle more cushion and looks nicer than the faded BMW ones.

:thumbsup:

Howdy all.

Apologies if this thread is redundant, but I couldn't locate the info in other threads.

03r1150rt. Heated grips.

My hand grips are deteriorating faster than I am. Local dealer says BMW only sells the grips as part of the whole heated grip replacement package. It has been suggested that I might try using two right side grips from the unheated bars . These may slide over the heating elements using hairspray as a lubricant. Does anyone know if the rt hand grips will be the proper size ? If not, is there a better source for grips ? Thanks much.

Afternoon joeb

Yes, a LOT of BMW 1100/1150 riders have replaced just the rubber. To do that you need to use a very sharp x-acto knife or razor blade & cut the old grips off as you gently peal them back.

You need to be very/very careful to not cut too deep or you will ruin the heated grip wires under the rubber.

Once the old grips are pealed back & slit (it helps to leave the bike in the sun for while before removing the old grip rubbers) then you need to repair any damage to the grip heater elements.

Then you can install two R/H side new rubbers using grip glue or hair spray.

Shiny Side Up

Joeb,

Just replaced mine about 2 years ago.

I used my pocket knife, but did not cut down into the rubber. I peeled back the edge at the bar ends and put the blade facing up. Just worked it slow - piece of cake!!

I've wrapped the grips of my last three bikes (not the RT yet)with bicycle grip foam. Comes in long rolls. Cut the end on a bias to get an angle started, then wrap it snugly and secure it with rubber bands cut from a bicycle inner tube. Feels great on the hands. Of course, I never turn on the grip heaters and I use very thin roper gloves.

Edited by SoCalBmr

Thanks all. That is the info I needed. Taking off the grips should be no problem as they are almost falling off. Two rt hand grips it is then. Considered using the foam grips over the rubber but don't want to get too much insulation between the heating elements and my glove. Once again , thanks.

Hey joeb,

Before you try to install the new grips, give them a good squirt of the wifes hairspray.

They'll slide right on easy peasy with no bunching. But you have to work fast. the spray dries very quick

Indy

• 1 year later...

Revisiting an old topic... The F800 forum doesn't seem to have as many DIYers as BMWSportTouring, so I'm asking here. On an F-bike (maybe newer R-bikes, I don't know) the entire grip assembly appears to be a bolt-on affair. I don't like the profile or hardness of the stock grips, and I'm thinking of replacing with something softer. Does the same procedure (carefully slice, then peel old grip without cutting completely through) apply for an F-bike?

B0009113.png

Revisiting an old topic... The F800 forum doesn't seem to have as many DIYers as BMWSportTouring, so I'm asking here. On an F-bike (maybe newer R-bikes, I don't know) the entire grip assembly appears to be a bolt-on affair. I don't like the profile or hardness of the stock grips, and I'm thinking of replacing with something softer. Does the same procedure (carefully slice, then peel old grip without cutting completely through) apply for an F-bike?

Afternoon Selden

If you don't like the stock grip you might first try either a full Grip-Puppy or a partial Grip-Puppy. You can cut a stock Grip-Puppy in half or even use a quarter then install with the tapered end towards mid grip (I do the 1/4 grip-puppy on some of my bikes that I don't like the stock grips &, for me, it really improves the hand fit & comfort.

If your 800 doesn't have heated grips then you should be able to get the stock grips off without cutting. You should be able to work a long small diameter screwdriver between the grip rubber & inner plastic sleeve then work it around to break the glue free (might also need to use a little WD-40). I usually use compressed air to blow the grip glue interface free once I get a spot opened up using a screwdriver.

At least try removing the stock grips without cutting as the stock rubbers are not available from BMW (at least they weren't anyhow) without buying the entire inner tube with outer rubber already on it (expensive).

You can remove the entire throttle twist grip tube with little effort then you can work on it on the bench (or soak in hot water).

The clutch side tube is also removable but you first need to unplug then remove the entire switch assembly from the bar then once the tube/switch is removed unclip the outer tube from the switch assembly.

Grip puppies will the best $10 you will spend on the RT. Even if you replace the grips...get some. They are great for reducing vibration and making the grip big enough. Those skinny arse grips on the bikes drive me crazy. Like playing tennis with a stock grip. The heater works through them just fine. In my opinion it works better as it seems to hold the heat longer.

Howdy all.

If not, is there a better source for grips ? Thanks much.

I replaced mine with these because I liked the original stock: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ariete-ringed-replacement-grips-w-open-grip-end-for-bmw-motorcycle-models-w-original-heated-grips-26mm-inner-diameter . (this retail says no longer available but you might find them elsewhere)

A careful cut/peel surgery is used to get the old ones off. I then use hairspray as a lube / light tack to put the new ones on.

Howdy all.

If not, is there a better source for grips ? Thanks much.

I replaced mine with these because I liked the original stock: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ariete-ringed-replacement-grips-w-open-grip-end-for-bmw-motorcycle-models-w-original-heated-grips-26mm-inner-diameter . (this retail says no longer available but you might find them elsewhere)

A careful cut/peel surgery is used to get the old ones off. I then use hairspray as a lube / light tack to put the new ones on.

Morning Claudio

You are responding to a post that is almost a year & a half old on an 1150RT. (this is why I don't like hijacked threads)-- The grips that you linked to are for the 1100/1150 boxer bikes.

From Selden's hijack post down (about 4 days old) we are responding on a BMW F800 bike (parallel twin engine chain drive bike) different animal with most not having heated grips.

From Selden's hijack post down (about 4 days old) we are responding on a BMW F800 bike (parallel twin engine chain drive bike) different animal with most not having heated grips.

I definitely missed that detail but luckily I've done the same on our 800's.

The same brand (Ariete) makes a replacement grip for the F800 with or without heated grips. I've done the same procedure with these : https://advdepot.com/products/ariete-replacement-hand-grips-for-bmw-heated-grip-handles-2

I've used "Grab On" grip covers (model MC402) on both my RT and R1100S. They fit over the existing heated grips. They are made out of EPDM foam. I really like them.

Keith

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2018 at 5:01 PM, Selden said:

Following SoCalbmr's suggestion, my first attempt is to wrap the grips with some self-fusing silicone rubber tape that was left over from re-wrapping the wiring harness several years ago. Too soon to tell. Plan B is some grip covers, probably these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJAH5M/

Old thread, I know, but I found it because I'm looking for a solution for deteriorating grips on my '03 R1150RT. How did the silicone repair tape work out?

I have Grip Puppies installed at the moment and find they make the grips too large for comfort (short fingers).

13 hours ago, RogerC60 said:

Old thread, I know, but I found it because I'm looking for a solution for deteriorating grips on my '03 R1150RT. How did the silicone repair tape work out?

I have Grip Puppies installed at the moment and find they make the grips too large for comfort (short fingers).

Hi RogerC60. Why are you looking at bodging it with tape when you can just replace the complete grip?

5 hours ago, AndyS said:

Hi RogerC60. Why are you looking at bodging it with tape when you can just replace the complete grip?

Just looking for something quick and easy and with little risk of damaging the heater wires. I've seen the replacement grips on eBay and read instructions for replacing the old grips. I'm sure I can do it but just looking for options.