IGNORED

HES Wiring

Roger C

As a preventative measure, I removed the HES plate and wiring from my '96 R1100RT last week and last USPS update, it was en route from DFW to GSAddict in Canada for rewiring. As I suspected, at 53K miles, I might have a problem later on. The wiring had cracks in them near the connector. I did not bother with sheath removal. I had it off the cycle and was ready to get it replaced. Once the reconditioned HES is installed, I feel my cycle can go another 53K. The question is "who will be the rider then?" I'm not prone to riding a lot of miles but that could change.

Me three. GSAddict does EXCELLENT work. And quickly.

And while I had the tupperware off, cleaned the TB's (inside they were black and nasty with caked-on crankcase oil vapor from the breather tube), re-routed and extended the breather tube from the air box to outside, plugged the air box hole, upgraded the left side cam chain tensioner, changed the plugs, set the valves. Plus a few other odds and ends.

A friend of mine who also rides a R1100RT tells me once I get the HES rewired, I might need to look at replacing the cam chain tensioner, then ride, ride, ride.

I get nervous reading about HES. Should I consider a HES rebuild on my '98 1100 RT with 15,000 miles on it? I am planning a long trip in the fall and don't want any unplanned surprises.

I get nervous reading about HES. Should I consider a HES rebuild on my '98 1100 RT with 15,000 miles on it? I am planning a long trip in the fall and don't want any unplanned surprises.

Yes.

I want to make sure I understand. Am I to understand that my 2004 R1150RT with 40K miles which appears to have the "new style wiring with soft loose jacket" as Ikraus shows in the picture is not prone to failure of the wire insulation? I currently have the HES exposed on my bike and the wiring appears to be in good shape. As a preventative measure I was thinking about sending it away for restoration but now question if that is really necessary.

Ben There,

Your choice: side of the road or in your garage.

It ain't IF, but when & where you want to do it. With only 15K on your bike it might be OK for a day, or a week, or a year. Slide your tank back to uncover the connector, unclip the connector and flex those little wires there. If the insulation all flakes off, you'll know for sure. They say it's actually worse inside the sheath closer to the engine (it's hotter there). Slice it open and have a look-see.

Mine: jBi4z6se6QlRyIeoOWs9fymjv0LrZQBRwPNRXgHYFrRLQ6Z6G2ydTqL3s_stM95eru3-0DOmPr_DOBbknCEv9VYa8rXEv6WAzFGio93xeqfcSEfgDmHYyn3lK-IYrWjCLdtCzLUYA6-td46IE8p2uYToWlj2MWEdmQ-oFLEfjFtZLvmSHXY8aNdeirgIigVnWy11Co6DfmDQAUjaDnOW2og88XbUwumU5EngXbIEiO99_vkCWt1lanz-jjpFtNZZYZB2lYsmEq-ya78oTkgFc38dEsg7QxP_Ptryu0UIlXG25QfdfJlMtPLOywcaSH50tcXZIsMT1iZhFkYQulfVWOjSN5gWGMVJiy1h5P2EjaZovnMjltsneACWUKSgj8KxoZqmNL-bB2X_bvAkHDBK73XSEe49O6UwzLoRnXMPaMjlmQl1QQhZA-xDV2-Bavnz9qurEDNVTtRRYSzygjo6oEO9tiidtqnL-YwsEwLThEXap0J17_Lo9Q44u0BF3qF6ux-MIxU2eLPRyS7dYq4NEhjpktAOFXHQODQGNh67xNnV24MUSGg4ErytQUyD-skgd1w_g9_mIKjGQgBjyAGRaX4r155B-I6hFlU28Th-dQz3M9V2zyQlSJ_HziAwIDeXX1Vsqjh3drCp_gLAGmjQ0axY5uXfVyH8kPQBSuT4pw=w337-h598-no?.jpg

GSAddict rewired HES: GSAddict rewired HES

More pics: HES pics

Gentlemen, thanks for all you information/advice. I've only owned my 1100 RT for two years (and put 11,000 miles on it) so I am just learning all of it idiocracies and how to correct them. This forum has been a great aid in advice and information and I thank you.

ncstatecamp

just for another person throwing in some details. Just finished rewiring it my self for my 96 R1100RSL 45k on the clock. The inside middle looked fine but the picture above at the connector could've been taken from my bike. Bike also had that shiny wire from left of above picture.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=986964#Post986964

heres my link asking a bunch of questions and what I ordered and such for future generations.

Send your HES to GSAddict, let him re-wire yours for way less money, and quick. He just did mine. He uses the correct wire and a new RS137 connector. Excellent workmanship. I'd say he gets plenty of practice.

His email is arbcon@sunshinecoast.ca

QX89Khmi_qQ0wTqenLe7560x9Zr2CaJjXTv_kX938LyxU4kBlURssa5pDbnqA5p3hsLOdgvjoIGcWWdzHjVINtPDOEioSutWo_qV77Q3t3HQewaSlJzD7738yKkodoXuX3zqvpRZsUZqtkuMOT2l052P0SViLQWRHOWMrIbapulPbtvps95WGKiWZpXxC324VSUT0t1NzjhNH0qx4Ujy-5McndVvf_DSdaMw7DIghTh742ZDq54QAuqjl5agx40mCVqBXiyLnaKZ-o2arhIKs2hweiqx6gw3_q56iYjhoAL0XKagjxwHbmNTxUQ_M7OvHPtlwSQXXLrxguPW0A2cV1u7XjLI5RcSygtsIou0e6LDmG0cUGuBPCwMyHm59xWGyOKtcVPIH7xXBgV_VRB6cqhLxdh0hDwTkB2_qD2hJre7Dn-Jzw3QdyECqC6k3MwP86FokyAdXlMIjMjMPjnnKspu5EHAXmfv47_N1wmwdOT7mJW9jO1GrT4g99CjfT5yJdeqLWalQwQVJAZcBGCf4a_E3QZtQZ3ef8704D3Hux3FdJBfULRumHt-GC0V8PxUT0rhT2TklG8kK0FYMfBQgnIjya48KSmQLeNs1Cf_b1oHvixjNP1pO_Jui0W-JdqqCPllegsid0Jl8ixAI3G7Qn3bMWDNfwTzUnqo9YR5Ow=w337-h598-no?.jpg

wM7HYG0Jbff8gKG8QFeTyRi4qgpQGp2gCcwy3OArGfrq4O5XSBISs-alIBSCsdhsFNf5i4U5AZeNOEL_tCzDbeUyp6BbrReQTY6oXyviiYG2mxqRSpAg8VPYD0Pn3NvbHeCYmrRRfWqxcEm6Y6SG2JP_XwzQseIFayscVQr7qhn7qe9hWr_INLDgNKwAk_T-qtRJiN1fsWSg18WzlZsGzadnQimg9huobpXGY7nnJrMPi8mc7b84Qym9gaLWeYYvWhN4939JnLiGNpMOGYJD3VaEvrhnXvA4Vtik6QPU7zDK11eC2R1N2DczL874BWsxcg-LSs9RkvXB0mzBaXSw1aIL_3PgxZY-GLNBmedjLUUx-dKH2h6phXUEDFCi4teXvJ38Q2kA3NhIVwYDreFxnTd6MLNne-07kVzn7oEwPCMMD66gKNd0kJG-SAyBCA4V8ffNg6B2QDREuR90WhueyrWqo-uhgobO3mOBHg7-Un8aTDaUzbMHuhVHeSIJfweugHNcBH-OLWX8FqcAL3K-7KEj69W3VVJvAK1r5uS0_GcGZosLqo_3iKSpZgDI6BSZ3YxMYbWbyxvXH_OK4o6-dM8pEX07jZcuT2JLyjSfPCOpUS5-hzpaDIxRr2fy35e88OGtfraKKVgt3dk7cYIvk_270EFGZguQLq6so8aTLQ=w1060-h597-no?.jpg

Send your HES to GSAddict, let him re-wire yours for way less money, and quick. He just did mine. He uses the correct wire and a new RS137 connector. Excellent workmanship. I'd say he gets plenty of practice.

His email is arbcon@sunshinecoast.ca

Thanks. I will contact him and see if he has one, but I don't want to be down that long waiting for it to come back (bike is my only transportation right now). Hoping he has an extra and I can send my core back when I pull it.

Beemerboneyard lists new HES by Bosch for $239. GSAddict may have one less than that, but the transportation time from BC Canada will probably be longer.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/12112306137n.html

or, Enduralast from Amazon for $194

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DG1FNJC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3V99U0PKSCCVG

or, Authentic BMW for $349

Edited by Roger C
Eckhard Grohe

Searched on Amazon and got 20 pages of results. Not very useful. Anyone have an old one they could look at to see what the P/N is.

Contact poster GSAddict on this forum. He should have plenty of connectors since he rebuilds HES units daily. He lives in your country, as well.

Recently I replaced the throttle side handlebar switch block on my R1100S with one with a headlight on/off switch. Pretty much everywhere that harness was fixed with a cable tie, the outer sleeve was split open and the wires inside looked like those in the photos in this thread.

This problem is endemic everywhere in Oilhead wiring, as they are BMW's first bikes produced to new Euro regulations requiring wiring harnesses be biodegradable. It's NOT just an HES component problem. Mercedes and Volvo that I'm aware of have had similar problems.

Later BMW have CANBus ...

Recently I replaced the throttle side handlebar switch block on my R1100S with one with a headlight on/off switch. Pretty much everywhere that harness was fixed with a cable tie, the outer sleeve was split open and the wires inside looked like those in the photos in this thread.

This problem is endemic everywhere in Oilhead wiring, as they are BMW's first bikes produced to new Euro regulations requiring wiring harnesses be biodegradable. It's NOT just an HES component problem. Mercedes and Volvo that I'm aware of have had similar problems.

Mercedes did have this problem with some cars during the 90's, I've replaced one engine harness on a "C" class and have seen quite a few others replaced. They have since used different insulation to combat the heat generated within the engine compartment.

Eckhard Grohe

Sounds bad for the long term usability of these models if the main wiring harness' insulation turns to dust.

Edited by Eckhard Grohe
Sounds bad for the long term usability of these models if the main wiring harness' insulation turns to dust.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

I am not worrying too much. there are other bits that will revert back to nature long before the whole wiring loom.

A new BOSCH unit can be purchased from Beemberboneyard for $239. This is the same unit which goes into a BMW box and adds $100 to the cost. Or, you can send your unit to GSAddict in Canada for repair for $110 USD. (Expect to wait about a month for the turn around.)

And, while you have the fairings off for the HES R/R, it is a great time to replace the left side cam chain tensioner available from www.rubberchickenracing.com It is a PITA to replace, but hopefully well worth it.