IGNORED

UnRally XVI 2017 - GPS Route Files

TyTass

Since we are getting so close to people's launch dates, it seems time to post the routes. For descriptions of the SportTouring routes, refer to the UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads and Routes thread. (NOTE: the DualSport routes are not described in any thread and are not yet available.)

The routes are available in both .GDB and .GPX formats. Each of those files have been zipped to speed up download and ensure file integrity.

Click on the appropriate link(s) below to download the file(s) you want (you should only need either GPX OR GDB, not both).

UN XVI 2017 - ST Day Rides:

UN 2017 - ST Day Rides (GDB)

UN 2017 - ST Day Rides (GPX)

UN XVI 2017 - ST Short Loops:

UN 2017 - ST Short Loops (GDB)

UN 2017 - ST Short Loops (GPX)

UN XVI 2017 - DS Routes: (Added 06/06/2017)

UN 2017 - Dual Sport (GDB)

UN 2017 - Dual Sport (GPX)

Added 06/06/2017: NOTE: These routes are for street-oriented GPSs (like Zumos, etc.). For those of you with off-road capable GPS devices, a small amount of obvious editing will be required to bridge gaps between some route segments. A short overview/explanation about these off-road routes will follow.

A post will follow clarifying some myths about importing routes from others and a short procedure to ensure imported routes perform as intended by the route originator.

Edited by TyTass

Why Check the Import of Routes Originated By Others?

To ensure you end up following a route as intended by the originator, there is a relatively easy procedure (refined by Kinsley) that should be performed when importing routes. This procedure helps you identify and correct any deviations that arise before you load the routes into your device.

However, before posting that, I want to debunk a few persistent myths that cause many to presume there is no need to check the effect of recalculation of these routes for their devices and settings.

- Myth #1: A GPS is a GPS. They all do the same thing and interpret routes from other people the same way.

- Truth #1: GPS's do not all operate the same way. Every GPS device interprets routes according to their hardware, firmware, operating systems, and maps sets. So, differences won't just be between brands, but also between different model series, and potentially between different firmware versions of the same models as well. Having different maps is also a point of potential deviation.

- Myth #2: If I have the same model as the route originator, with the same firmware version, AND the same maps, any route imported will be as intended.

- Truth #2: Even if a person has the same device and maps as the route originator, their preferences may likely be different, and result in a difference between their routes.

(NOTE: While one can debate endlessly which preference setting yield the best results, we have found that due to the large number of alternate and parallel back roads and even driveways that show up on the various Map Sets of the Southern Appalachians, Fastest Time rule set (as opposed to Shortest Distance) results in the fewest departures from the intended roads with the fewest shaping points.)

- Myth #3: A route originator can create a route so robust with shaping points that it can't be reinterpreted incorrectly regardless of the previous discussion.

- Truth #3: While a route originator can indeed reduce the likelihood for unintended differences, the route itself cannot account for all possibilities. In fact, depending on how robust the originator makes the route, it can exceed the ability of some devices to even import all the points as intended.

All this to say the devices we use are not of the same accuracy and performance characteristics as the GPS systems used by aircraft, ships, etc. so, don't expect that kind of predictability. We operate in a far less than perfect world than they do.

We have done our utmost to provide routes that will import and recalculate with the minimum number of corrections. Now on to the procedure ...

Procedure for Finding & Correcting Deviations in Routes From Others

This is the procedure Kinsley developed be ensure routes originated by others run in your device as intended by the originator.

Perform the following steps:

- Open the GDB or GPX file in your editing software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option). (I recommend doing this one route at a time so as to avoid confusion.)

- Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

- Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same. (If so, you're finished.)

- If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route(s) onto your GPS.

I've been studying the routes in the prior thread. THANK YOU for taking the time to research, plan and publish these for the rest of us.

Looking forward to some of the DS routes. With my hack, I should be able to do at least some of them.

Having this event as a goal has helped my mental attitude in ways you can not imagine.

Bud,

You're welcome ... but I must confess this UN has had the very same effect for me but for different reasons.

I'm finalizing the DS routes with Bill (roadscholar), who assures me these routes will be big bike friendly. I've only ridden a 100 or so miles off-road in the area.

The hold up is that these routes aren't tremendously GPS friendly for most devices. So, I'm trying to make routes as GPS-friendly as possible.

Having this event as a goal has helped my mental attitude in ways you can not imagine.

Amen Brother, Amen.

I'd like four hours of my life back. Fired up the Garmin 660, Basecamp, and Garmin Express. Express quickly says there is a new map to be had, so I downloaded it to the 660. Something called "Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap, NR". That's gotta be a problem because that name is hideous.

Someone stole the Cherohala Skyway. Look what happens when I recalculate Dragon The Line (and the others). It sends me to BFE instead of turning on to one of God's sweetest roads. The shaping points are there but the road is gone. At max detail settings it does not show at full zoom.

I am clearly doing something wrong.

Opine.

i-jfhHHWN-L.png

Was there a map update? If there was, you should have downloaded City Navigator 2018.2

Thanks - you're on the right track. I closed out Basecamp and reopened it. That revealed a pathway to CNNA on my SD drive, so I was then able to switch the map.

I believe problem solved.

Edited by Jake

Off-road Dual Sport Routes Information:

Having only ridden about 80-100 fabulous miles off-road in the area, I asked Kenny Haynes for a bit of help/contribution of big bike-friendly, off-road riding. He of course said I should go to roadscholar (Bill F), which I did. Bill has a wealth of information about off-road riding in the area, and knows the roads in the area like the back of his hand. However, he is not a GPS master and apparently I know very little about creating routes for off-road (as I have a Zumo which is street-oriented and only load the standard street maps).

So, after what I'm sure was several painful conversations for Bill about why I couldn't make routes match his tracks, it occurred to me I'm not the only person with a street-dependent GPS set-up. So, I created routes for off-road luddites like me. For you off-road device pros, it's easy enough for you to edit what I've provided into complete routes.

What's wrong with these routes, you ask? There are a couple places where the Garmin maps do not know that roads are actually connected. Off-road devices with appropriate maps can simply be set up to follow any track ... regardless of the street maps. Street-map dependent devices cannot (see discussion here if you want to understand why).

Suffice it to say, a couple of the routes have gaps in them on the street maps. Some of us have run into this issue even on paved roads. The way to handle that with street-oriented devices is to break the route into segments that are before and after the gaps. So, that's what I've done here. I created sequential route segments so a person with a street-oriented device could run the intended route. When a route ends at gap in the street map set, the rider can simply continues on the same road until their gps map set shows a road again. Then the can start the next route segment. Keep in mind when you are in the gap for the street maps, your gps routing will not work properly. FYI I have included some waypoints for quick navigation.

A post summarizing the routes will follow ...

Edited by TyTass

Off-road Dual Sport Routes Overview:

Within the GDB/GPX files, there are 3 off-road or Dual Sport routes that have been broken into segments. They are as follows:

Dual Sport Route #1:

UN_2017 - DS1_Leg_1 (132) Gravahala > Joe Brown > Tusquitee

UN_2017 - DS1_Leg_2 (54) Tuni > Tantham

This route, provided by roadscholar, totals to 186 miles; though there is one short gap near where Tusquitee and Tuni Gap roads meet. The route is approximately 50/50 on/off road. According to Bill, the off-road portions are big-bike friendly (I've only ridden a few off-road segments of this route). However, if you are an off-road novice like me, please go with someone more experienced. Also, I've read Tantham Gap can get dicey. However, whether unsure of that road or just tired, the Tantham portion of the route can easily be bypassed by taking US-19/129 up to Topton, where a left turn on US-129 will take you thru Robbinsville where you can join the route back to FVR.

The recommended lunch stop is in Murphy NC, but there are a number of other restaurants in town an along 19/129. There's plenty of gas there as well.

Dual Sport Route #2:

UN_2017 - DS2_Leg_1 (100) Stairs > Tellico > Conley's Crk

UN_2017 - DS2_Leg_2 (2.2) Jenkins Crk > UpperRiv

UN_2017 - DS2_Leg_3 (2.6) Upper Riv > Heintooga Ridge

UN_2017 - DS2_Leg_4 (79.9) Balsam Mtn > Big Cove > 19

This route, also provided by roadscholar, totals to 184.7 miles; though there are three gaps in this route, but all in the same region. This route is approximately 60/40 on/off road. According to Bill, the off-road portions are big-bike friendly. I've ridden much more of the off-road portions of this route ... I absolutely love Conley's Creek/Leatherman Gap! I haven't ever ridden Winding Stairs but I've read good things about it. As always, if you are an off-road novice like me, go with someone more experienced.

The recommended lunch stop is on US-19 near Cherokee. Bill highly recommends Granny's Kitchen. Some folks with smaller tanks may want to gas up there. After lunch comes the portion of the route with the gaps. After turning off US-19 onto Jenkins Creek, your continue on that gravel road for aa few miles before the street maps show the road ending. Continue on. When the street maps show you back on the road, start the 2dn leg. During this segment you'll turn right on Upper River Rd. Again when the street maps show the road ends continue on until shown back on the road again, where you start the 3rd leg. Same thing is true for the final gap, just prior to the BRP and you'll parallel the BRP for short bit. When you arrive at Heintooga Ridge, you'll start the 4th leg. You'll wind up in Cherokee eventually where there are some places worthy of a visit. From there back to FVR its all major arteries since Parsons Branch on the other side of the GSMNP is closed.

Dual Sport Route #3:

UN_2017 - DS3_Leg_1 (91.4) - Santeetlah > N River > Turkey Crk > Citico

UN_2017 - DS3_Leg_2 (42.2) - Dragon > HellBender

I threw this one in based on a bit of off-road I've done, trying to provide a short option (133.6 miles), at approximately 70/30 on/off road. It starts off over some of the same roads as DS1 (Santeetlah, N River Rd) but then cuts back across the Cherohala to meet up with Citico Rd. Citico is generally well -raded gravel/dirt along a creek. More adventurous riders may want to add the Doublecamp Creek loop to the route (though I personally haven't ridden that road ... yet). NOTE: I've included a waypoint to assist in routing.

Lunch is out on US-411 in Vonore TN ... a nice lake side restaurant called Lakehouse Grill. From there it's a short dash back to FVR via the Dragon and HellBender 28 along the Tennessee River.

Edited by TyTass

Thank you Craig for the extra effort in creating all of these routes, especially the dual sport ones.

Great job! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the hard-work on the routes guys! MUCH appreciated...

I actually rode the Tatham Gap Rd (Part of the historic Trail of Tears) and the views up there were absolutely awesome! Well worth the ride, imho. The road wasn't dicey at all and actually quite good when I rode it back in April during an Ironhorse Lodge camping stay.

Not sure if most folks know about this website, but here's a map view of what I rode:

https://gravelmap.com/route/11974-tatham-gap-rd-to-long-creek#@35.321750599199596,-83.96686201171872,11,roadmap

Keith

Edited by cyclingkk
Thanks for all the hard-work on the routes guys! MUCH appreciated...

I actually rode the Tatham Gap Rd (Part of the historic Trail of Tears) and the views up there were absolutely awesome! Well worth the ride, imho. The road wasn't dicey at all and actually quite good when I rode it back in April during an Ironhorse Lodge camping stay.

Not sure if most folks know about this website, but here's a map view of what I rode:

https://gravelmap.com/route/11974-tatham-gap-rd-to-long-creek#@35.321750599199596,-83.96686201171872,11,roadmap

Keith

Yes, thanks, Keith. This is a pretty good resource. However, it, like most of the others is fairly incomplete. There are tons of dirt roads missing in that area and many of these are paved and have been paved for many years (e.g., River Rd, that goes btwn N River Rd and Bald River Falls has been paved for at least 8 years).

I have found several resources like this for researching off-road routes, but few actually give a description of the scenery, fewer yet describe how difficult any portion of the road is (and when there a description its relative to the skill of the writer which is ???), and almost none of them provide updates about closings (which occur often). For example, Parsons Branch Road, which is a popular one way gravel/dirt road from Cades Cove to Deals Gap is currently closed.

I've found you have to use several to piece together a very useful picture and status.

The routes look awesome, Craig.

+10. :thumbsup:

If Craig had a nickel for every hour he spent putting routes together for some of us... Well let's just say he'd have a big a$$ pile of nickels.

After all of his efforts and hard work, let's double his pay!! :wave::clap::grin:

Oooh! I like the sound of THAT! When does that go into effect? This paycheck or the next?

After all of his efforts and hard work, let's double his pay!! :wave::clap::grin:

Oooh! I like the sound of THAT! When does that go into effect? This paycheck or the next?

Retroactive to the beginning of the quarter! :grin:

Maybe we'll even let you use the BMWST jet for the weekend. Where did I put that picture....

Maybe we'll even let you use the BMWST jet for the weekend. Where did I put that picture....

Here it is... Gassed up and ready to go for you, Craig.

HEtRHYQaOc1KBE-DRfdi12We_P4AGDQxIaF2tHPf1sYF3CBgTZJ-bMgDeGCGtyjfZR7UA55mHfXHRA=w600?.jpg

As promised a long way back, the Route Information Booklet has been posted (see link below). This booklet is in PDF format and covers much of what has been posted in this thread for the Sport Touring & Day Ride Routes and other information as well. For example, the written route direction (as copied from BaseCamp) is available for those who don't use a GPS.

UnRally XVI Route Information Booklet CLICK HERE

We are not printing copies for everyone. If you want a hard copy, you must print it yourself. And if you do, it is best to print it duplex (2 sided). Not only will that reduce the size of it to 23 sheets of paper, but that will format it such that each route will have it's 2 pages of information printed on the front and back of the same sheet of paper. That will be important if you wish to put a route in your tank bag map case.

Cheers! Looking forward to seeing you very soon!

Wow, Craig. I can't believe the effort you guys have gone to. This booklet will be very useful.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Wow, Craig. I can't believe the effort you guys have gone to. This booklet will be very useful.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

As I posted in the Roads & Routes thread ... It was a labor of love, I assure you. Matt and I authored and I produced this booklet specifically for folks of BMWST, for this UnRally. However, please feel free to keep and use for future reference. I only ask that you do not share it with anyone outside of our group.

This link to this booklet as well as the routes will be invalid when the event is over.

Agent_Orange

Can't get into any of the DS rides. :mad:

Yes, my challenges are many and brain cells are few.

I will follow those that have the foo. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna go with the KLR due to the issues of health related shit.

The RS is in fine form, but due to what has happened lately, I am best sticking with a mellower ride.

Read: not hooning.

SUCKS!

As promised a long way back, the Route Information Booklet has been posted (see link below). This booklet is in PDF format and covers much of what has been posted in this thread for the Sport Touring & Day Ride Routes and other information as well. For example, the written route direction (as copied from BaseCamp) is available for those who don't use a GPS.

UnRally XVI Route Information Booklet CLICK HERE

We are not printing copies for everyone. If you want a hard copy, you must print it yourself. And if you do, it is best to print it duplex (2 sided). Not only will that reduce the size of it to 23 sheets of paper, but that will format it such that each route will have it's 2 pages of information printed on the front and back of the same sheet of paper. That will be important if you wish to put a route in your tank bag map case.

Cheers! Looking forward to seeing you very soon!

Great job on this Booklet Craig.

I have downloaded the file and taken a brief look at it and I have a question (favour) to ask of you. Are you interested in printing off and selling 1 of these booklets for any of us who are already on the road and don't have access to a printer? We are in North Platte, NE tonight and making our way slowly towards Fontana Dam. I brought my laptop but the printer was a little too cumbersome to pack on the bike. I'd like to have a printed copy at the UN to discuss possible rides with people who know the roads and can make recommendations.

As mentioned, I'm willing to pay and your could tell people you're a successful, published author. If it is too big a hassle, don't worry about it.

steve.foote

Al, I've got you covered. I'll bring an extra copy just for you. I'll be in Fontana on Monday.

Al, I've got you covered. I'll bring an extra copy just for you. I'll be in Fontana on Monday.

Thanks, Steve.

As I said ... we're going to have a few copies printed, but not many. I'm also going to look into what printing capacity they have at the resort.

Damn, Craig, you have really outdone yourself! If everyone buys you the drink they owe you for this, you won't be able to ride at all next week! :beer::beer:

Thank you!