IGNORED

RCU Shelf for R1200RTW

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Is anybody here using the RCU Designs Accessory Shelf for the R1200RTW? It looks like a perfect place to mount my V1, getting the display up near my line of sight, but it also looks like it could seriously mess with airflow in the cockpit. I'd be interested to hear of anybody's experience with it.

Hey Bill, I have one on my 2015 RT. I covered the top with Velcro and mount camera, spot, EZ pass on it. Very handy and I have not noticed any change in airflow. I really enjoy it.

Bill_Walker
Bill,

One just popped up in Classifieds.

I saw that. But I've already got a Techmount handlebar mount ordered (along with a bunch of other stuff I need for the project), and I want to see how I like that. I like the idea of being able to reach the button to silence alerts more easily, if having it there doesn't compromise visibility or anything else too much. Time will tell. If the one in classifieds hasn't sold by then, I'll grab it.

I've got one and it works well. There's an added benefit in the fact that it shades the GPS a bit.

Bill_Walker
I've got one and it works well. There's an added benefit in the fact that it shades the GPS a bit.

Thanks, Mike. That made me think of something. What does it do to access to the GPS release button? It looks like it goes over that area.

Thanks, Mike. That made me think of something. What does it do to access to the GPS release button? It looks like it goes over that area.

You have to reach around it, but it doesn't really impede access to the button.

I just finished fabricating a shelf for my RT. Probably similar in size to the RCU. Took a test ride last evening. Had an unexpected issue! It blocks the Sirius/xm signal when riding in some directions! Not completely, but it will go off for a bit and signal bars are low or gone. I am going to remove it and cut out a half moon shape over the sirius antenna to see if that fixes it. With windshield down I cannot put anything there anyway as there is little clearance. I wonder if anyone has noticed this with the other store bought shelfs?

Bill_Walker
I just finished fabricating a shelf for my RT. Probably similar in size to the RCU. Took a test ride last evening. Had an unexpected issue! It blocks the Sirius/xm signal when riding in some directions! Not completely, but it will go off for a bit and signal bars are low or gone. I am going to remove it and cut out a half moon shape over the sirius antenna to see if that fixes it. With windshield down I cannot put anything there anyway as there is little clearance. I wonder if anyone has noticed this with the other store bought shelfs?

This makes me wonder two things: does the RCU shelf do this, and more importantly for me, does it interfere with GPS reception?

This makes me wonder two things: does the RCU shelf do this, and more importantly for me, does it interfere with GPS reception?

I haven't noticed any issues with Sirius/XM or GPS reception.

Siruis/xm has a couple satellites. Our bikes are Siruis, so I guess only one satellite for them. GPS runs off multiple satellites. Didn't see any issue that was obvious with my gps, but I will pay attention to that.

Bill, the RCU shelf has never interfered with my GPS. I have however experienced some intermittent satellite radio interference. I have no idea if the RCU causes this. I will probably remove it and test it and let you know the outcome. I really like the shelf. I believe it is possible to move/relocate the antennae for the satellite radio if need be. But, need to find out if the shelf is causing the interference or not.

Bill, the RCU shelf has never interfered with my GPS. I have however experienced some intermittent satellite radio interference. I have no idea if the RCU causes this. I will probably remove it and test it and let you know the outcome. I really like the shelf. I believe it is possible to move/relocate the antennae for the satellite radio if need be. But, need to find out if the shelf is causing the interference or not.

I believe the satellite receiver is located away from the RCU shelve,lower on the nose of the bike. Intermittent reception can be cause by many factors one is a tree line street the water in leaves prevent a strong enough signal, tall buildings can block it too to name a couple.

Jay

The Sirius antenna is just behind the gps. Not sure if my shelf or the RCU actually covers part of it directly overhead, but depending on the angle to the satellite it would certainly effect the signal.

1cd21769-d9ba-47c6-adc5-ce68e7aad21c_zpswym4qcu0.jpg

This is the one I fabricated. I have not removed it to trim the backside yet, but will get to that right away. I want Sirius operating for my trip and when you get into the mountains in some areas the trees and hills block signal anyway. I don't want to add to that with the shelf!

DSC02085_zpstm2qgzuv.jpg

• 1 month later...
Dave Stephens

I have one and love it. Mounted my Adaptiv Technologies radar detector on it have no issues at all. The unit doesn't "hang" over the back edge of the shelf so I have an unfettered view of my Nav V GPS

Edited by davidtn