IGNORED

How over-full is it?

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

It appears that my "just-serviced" '15 RTW had too much oil put in it by the dealer. Hot or cold, if it's on the center stand, the sight glass is all oil. Cold, on the side stand, the oil is at the bottom of the embossed circle in the glass.

I'm wondering whether I ought to do an oil change to ensure I've got the right level. I could, I suppose, just try draining a bit out, but getting the plug back in while the bike is draining could be very messy. Thoughts?

Dave_in_TX

I think you,obsessing about it too much. The oil capacity is four liters, however, that will result in the sight glass showing all oil. Since the oil is at the bottom of the circle when on the center stand, I doubt it is overfilled enough to be concerned with.

Tactical 1

There was an interesting article in the 2015 winter edition of BMW Motorcycle Magazine - "Losing Horsepower? Water-Boxer oil level test." Synopsis was that having the oil level at about the halfway mark in the sight glass made shifting and finding neutral easier and also improved horsepower compared to a bike that had slightly over-filled the oil.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...Article-on-overfilling-oil-on-WC-models/page2

Posted by another inmate on Adv Rider and may be of some help.

Edited by Tactical 1

The capacity for the RT is 4 quarts the dealer may have put in 4 liters instead of 4 quarts, the BMW oil comes in a 1 liter container. Had the same problem with my 14RT when I picked it up from the dealer. When I change my own oil I use 4 quarts and it fills up to the top of the center ring in the sight glass which is max.

There was an interesting article in the 2015 winter edition of BMW Motorcycle Magazine - "Losing Horsepower? Water-Boxer oil level test." Synopsis was that having the oil level at about the halfway mark in the sight glass made shifting and finding neutral easier and also improved horsepower compared to a bike that had slightly over-filled the oil.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...Article-on-overfilling-oil-on-WC-models/page2

I couldn't agree more with his observation.

Edited by reg26

Bill this has happened to me also. It's not that messy to drain some out. Put an oil pan underneath while on center stand, loosen bolt and you can easily control how much comes out. Do less than you think and check repeat , check till at desired level.

Bill_Walker

Posted by another inmate on Adv Rider and may be of some help.

It could be a temporary thing, but I'm getting a 404 error (file not found) on that link.

Bill_Walker
The capacity for the RT is 4 quarts the dealer may have put in 4 liters instead of 4 quarts, the BMW oil comes in a 1 liter container. Had the same problem with my 14RT when I picked it up from the dealer. When I change my own oil I use 4 quarts and it fills up to the top of the center ring in the sight glass which is max.

My Rider's Manual, on page 166, says the engine oil capacity is "max 1.1 gal (max 4 l), with filter replacement". But it could be the filter takes up less than they thought.

Bill_Walker

Yeah, I think I'll try draining a bit out. Maybe do it cold, since it's not to be a full change.

3.8 quarts puts you center of the red ring in the sight glass. That is the level I have used and my bike shifts nice. It is what I was told to use from a BMW mechanic and I trust him.

The engine oil, capacity Is "approx. 4 l", as shown on p159 of the Rider's Manual for my Canadian specification 2014 R1200RT.

I am not sure where your 4 quarts info comes from.

Here is exact language from Manual...not quarts

Engine oil

Engine oil, capacity Approx. 1.1 gal (Approx. 4 l), with filter replacement Viscosity class Product recommended by BMW Motorrad: Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2 Engine oil, quantity for topping up max 1 quarts (max 0.95 l), difference between MIN and MAX

On my previous RT I used a turkey baster with a thin hose attached and sucked enough out. Not sure about the size of the new RT opening.

Bill's initial statement doesn't make sense. "Hot or cold, if it's on the center stand, the sight glass is all oil. Cold, on the side stand, the oil is at the bottom of the embossed circle in the glass. Should be the other way around. My .02.

greiffster
Bill's initial statement doesn't make sense. "Hot or cold, if it's on the center stand, the sight glass is all oil. Cold, on the side stand, the oil is at the bottom of the embossed circle in the glass. Should be the other way around. My .02.

I think the wetheads all have the oil sight glass on the right side.

Bill_Walker
On my previous RT I used a turkey baster with a thin hose attached and sucked enough out. Not sure about the size of the new RT opening.

What opening did you suck it out of? With the filler opening into the top of the cylinder head, I don't see how you'd reach the oil pan from there.

Bill_Walker

Yes. On the wethead, both the sight glass and the fill plug on are on the right side of the engine.

John in VA

Correct.

Bill_Walker

And today I just drained a little bit out, took it for a ride, and then added a very small amount back to get it right to the middle of the sight glass when warm, as per the manual. And I only got a couple of drops on the garage floor!

Bill, you went to way too much trouble. You should remember that being on this board for many many years that a lot of folks claim that if you just ride the bike some, the oil level will mysteriously lower itself. :rofl: Pretty bike. :thumbsup:

Bill_Walker
Bill, you went to way too much trouble. You should remember that being on this board for many many years that a lot of folks claim that if you just ride the bike some, the oil level will mysteriously lower itself. :rofl: Pretty bike. :thumbsup:

I have long been indoctrinated into the Great Mystical Truths of the Oilhead, but being a mere Neophyte of the Wethead order, I thought it best to follow the scripture bestowed upon us by Our Manufacturer (blessed and cursed be its name), despite its reputation for overzealotry.

This happened to me as well, first change by the dealer was up to the top of the sight glass--which is to be viewed 5 minutes after shutting down a fully warmed engine with the bike on the CS. What I did was suck some out of the fill port using a clean clear hardish large diameter plastic straw attached to a syringe and it worked well to pull out oil without the need to unscrew the drain plug--just have to be mindful to make sure the tube used is stiff enough so it doesn't catch on anything and get stuck or shear off God forbid! FWIW I've got 23K miles OTC now on my '16 RTW and my last change I put a little too much oil so that it is up to the top of the sight glass--I notice no difference in shafting or getting neutral.

Edited by NoelCP