BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#989161 - 06/11/17 06:44 PM Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider?  
atldinan3 Offline
Just Joined
atldinan3  Offline
Just Joined

So Iím getting back into riding after taking several years off. Based on my life circumstances, my riding will be along the ďSunday driverĒ style - i.e. An occasional jaunt around town, for only a few miles. I wonít be able to ride with any regularity, however, I like the idea of being able to sometimes enjoy a short ride.

Initially, I was planning to purchase a late-model K75 w/ ABS. That was the last bike I had (sold about 5 yrs ago), and it fit me very well - low, lightweight(ish), maneuverable(ish), very reliable, and even though it is 20+yrs old, it had innovative tech for its time. I particularly liked the fact that it has ABS. And they are very LOW MAINT. The bricks seem to go forever. And at a great price point these days.

Along the lines of innovative tech, however, my attention has been drawn to newer Beemers. Iím considering spending a bit more and going the new bike route, specifically for the advances in tech. Most specifically, for the ASC. So Iím currently negotiating on a 2016 F800R.

Here is the concern: When I was talking to the folks at the dealership, they indicated that modern Beemers can be finicky if they arenít ridden enough. I think someone said ďBMW wants owners to put at least 100 miles per week on the bike.Ē Thats a problem, and it will likely never happen. I live in a small town, and my office is only 5 miles away from my house, so I sometimes donít put 100 miles per week on my cage. In fact, I only log about 12k yearly on my primary driver. Again, my intent for having a bike is to take an occasional zip around town for an errand, or an infrequent loop through the country backroads on a nice Sunday afternoon.

Realistically, I will put maybe 100 miles per month on the bike in nice weather. In the wintertime, I doubt Iíll log 100 miles in an entire quarter. The bike will spend most of its life sitting safely in the garage. I kept my 1994 K75 on a trickle charger, cranked it regularly, and once a month or so in the winter rode it up and down the cul-de-sac. Never had a problem. Iím becoming concerned, however, that this is a sub-optimal environment for a new Beemer.

The nice folks at the dealership somewhat dismissed the concern, stating ďOh donít worry, once you have a bike again then youíll probably ride it a lot more than you think!Ē Incorrect. Its not realistic (or appropriate) to ask someone to change their lifestyle to meet the needs of the bike. Rather, I need to pick the right bike that meets the needs of my lifestyle.

So my question is: Is mine an appropriate application for a new Beemer? A new bike with the latest tech sounds like a good idea from a safety perspective. However, it makes less sense if it results in a decrease in reliability. Especially considering the fact that the closest dealer is almost 50 miles away, so purchasing a bike that will require regular tweaks at the dealer will quickly become very cumbersome.

Thoughts?

#989162 - 06/11/17 07:34 PM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: atldinan3]  
041100S Offline
041100S  Offline

NW Arkansas
I would suggest looking into a new SV650 Suzuki. Less cost, just as reliable, great fun, simple to maintain or maybe even a larger scooter, or smaller displacement bike like a 300, Yamaha and Kawasaki or a 500 twin Honda. Good Luck with you choice.

#989164 - 06/11/17 07:42 PM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: 041100S]  
Marty Hill Offline
The Energiser Bunny
Marty Hill  Offline
The Energiser Bunny

Atlanta, Ga.
The "folks" at your dealership are a bunch of morons. A great deal of BMW's are ridden for high miles, others a few miles now and then. Buy what you want and stay away from that bunch of fools.

Marty
49 states/32 countries/3 continents

700GS/white...old age moto

WWMHD...ride till you can't

Semper Paratus
#989166 - 06/11/17 08:06 PM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: atldinan3]  
Twinsig Offline
Twinsig  Offline

Middle Alabama
I'm with 041100s, you can probably buy 2 SVs, or 1 SV and a KLR.
A In fact, KLR might just do the trick!
Shop around, sit on a bunch of bikes, it's a large purchase, study. Good luck.

2004 K1200GT

#989171 - 06/11/17 09:48 PM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: Marty Hill]  
JohnH VA Offline
JohnH VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
Originally Posted By: Marty Hill
The "folks" at your dealership are a bunch of morons. A great deal of BMW's are ridden for high miles, others a few miles now and then. Buy what you want and stay away from that bunch of fools.

+1

Finicky?? Low miles shouldn't affect reliability on a BMW any more than on any other bike. Keep your battery on an Optimate charger and whenever you ride go far/long enough to get the bike up to operating temp and all will be fine. Buy what you want -- but maybe not from that dealer.

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#989183 - 06/12/17 12:20 AM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: atldinan3]  
BF204 Offline
Newer Member
BF204  Offline
Newer Member

Winnipeg, Canada
I"m somewhat (?) in a similar situation to you. I've been away from bikes for longer than you, but have thought about getting one (again) for the last couple of summers. This spring I bought a well-used 1999 R1100R. I also gave serious consideration to a '90's K75 (since they are the bike I always thought I wanted back when I was riding CB's). In the end, I came across this R, and thought why not see what these boxer's are all about..... I'm enjoying it a lot so far (although not able to put as many miles on it as I would like... maybe 1000 km so far (since May 1) , mostly around town jaunts, but a couple longer rides). For me the attraction is that I'd like to do some highway runs (e.g. Cottage trips on the weekends), and maybe do some tourning trips to see how I like it. The thought was, it's not big $$ hit, and I could see how much I use it and upgrade to newer (or RT style) in the next season or two if it's something I see myself fitting in more of.

If touring or longer trips are not on your agenda, then I agree, you could probably go for a smaller lighter weight machine.... I can't say I'd steer you away from new, it's your money... but if you know what you like in older bikes (e.g. K75?) then you'd avoid a pretty large hit in depreciation, and paying for a warranty when you're putting so few miles on. Sounds like you've done this before, so you know what it's like to have to keep the battery charged etc....

Anyway, good luck with the decisions!

Last edited by BF204; 06/12/17 12:21 AM.

Had Honda CB's "back in the day". Now like Gene Autry.... "back in the saddle again"
1999 R1100R
#989184 - 06/12/17 12:36 AM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: BF204]  
bmwsit Offline
bmwsit  Offline

Oregon
Buy what you want and like. Only issue with a very short commute could be the charging of the battery as the RPMs may not be up high enough long enough to replace the hit to the battery on start ups. Other than that, sounds like you know how to take care of a bike, get what tickles your fancy.

2005 K1200LT
1989 K100RS
1992 K75S
2013 Ural Patrol-Sold
2007 R1200GS-Sold
2004 R1150R-Sold

#989186 - 06/12/17 01:11 AM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: atldinan3]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
You seem adamant that you won't change your riding behvior.
OK.
You don't mention budget issues.
So, buy what you want, and ride it like you want to.
Personally I'd look for a [rewoned GS, maybe lowered (you mentioned "low" as a positive).
Maybe experiment with regular GS/low seat combo. Doesn't soound like you'll need an "all day" type of saddle.
Plenty of used GS bikes out there with ABS, and more modern than the K 75.
Nothing wrone with the brick, and you're familiar with it.
Buying new, a lot of money, and someone will get a heck of a deal if you're only going to put a couple thousand a year on it.
Best wishes.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#989189 - 06/12/17 02:38 AM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: Marty Hill]  
gordiet Offline
gordiet  Offline

Washington State and Arizona s...
Originally Posted By: Marty Hill

Now that makes me laugh but you right on the money. He needs to visit a new dealer.

#989192 - 06/12/17 03:01 AM Re: Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider? [Re: gordiet]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Most any bike will "work" for the riding you have in mind.

If I knew I'd only be riding for short trips I'd own a Zero with ABS. Good power, cheap to operate, belt drive, nearly zero maintenance. No tuneups, no oil changes. Unfortunately, their range is not enough for my frequent 200-400 mile day trips.

The salesperson you spoke with is an idiot.

Last edited by lkraus; 06/12/17 03:08 AM.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3