IGNORED

Advice on Riding Suits

RT5HTP

With age, I am becoming more safety conscious. In the past, jeans, leather, half-helmet were my gear and yes I did feel vulnerable. I now wear a Schuberth C3 Pro and really love it. Now for my next step- I have been considering the purchase of a riding suit(leaning more towards a 2-piece) for some time now. Is there any suit that fares well in all seasons? I have looked into Aerostich, but man, theres something about shelling out all that money for something sight-unseen. I guess most good/reputable suits will run some money and I will pay, as long as it fits, is comfortable and does what it's supposed to do. Waterproof would be nice, but from what I've read, most are not? Forgot to mention, I did buy a Firstgear Expedition 1-piece suit a couple of years back prior to a cross country ride. I ended up not bringing it, because my trip was in the summer and I couldn't imagine wearing it the entire ride. Very heavy, cumbersome and not portable. If I had brought it, I would have needed a trailor to hold the suit while not wearing it! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

realshelby

One piece vs two piece, well each has advantages. One piece is very convenient to put on and take off like for commuter use. Two piece allows you to take the jacket off to walk into a store or restaurant and look a bit more normal. Most jackets are vented pretty well, so you can switch between pants that are vented or not depending on needs. Cannot do that with the one piece and they tend to be hot to wear because of that in warmer temps. I don't believe there is a 4 season suit of any kind. Aerostich works well, consider buying a used one. They sell for $5-600 commonly on ebay and forum classifieds. Good place to start. Olympia makes some good quality gear that is very affordable. I ride in MotoPort gear, but it isn't cheap or easy to find used. I also have Aerostich, and Olympia. If I were to buy something to start out with again, it would be a good brand mesh jacket and mesh pants. Use the liners for colder weather and rain. This is as close as you can get to 4 season wear.

Doug_Baliko

I have had very good luck with Klim gear. Expensive, yes, but built well, totally waterproof (really), and depending on the style get you choose, can be ridden in all four seasons.

Check out their full line at revzilla.com. They have videos describing every item, which is very helpful. They have free shipping, and they will let you return for any reason at a reduced ups rate, including size, and send you a new size.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko
.....Olympia makes some good quality gear that is very affordable.

-----If I were to buy something to start out with again, it would be a good brand mesh jacket and mesh pants. Use the liners for colder weather and rain. This is as close as you can get to 4 season wear.

I bought a 2 piece Olympia suit in 2003 and have used it for over 100,000 miles of riding. It has both jacket an pant liners. The suit along with an electric Gerbing jacket and gloves I purchased about the same time has allowed me to be comfortable from 30 - 90 degree days. :thumbsup:

I carry REI rain pants and a Mammaut rain jacket I bought at REI in my tank bag - very happy with these items as well.

Edited by Endobobdds

If interested in an Aerostitch, you can be patient and one will land on www.shopgoodwill.com,.....that's how I got mine for under $300.

Well I see you are in Mass and I am in Texas...so our weather is quite different so what works for me might freeze you to death in the winter.

I wear BMW mesh jacket and pants. Others like Olympia, First Gear, and several others will do the same. When it rains, I put in the water proof liners.

In our version of winter here, I put the same liners in when it dips below 55 degrees. When it dips below 45, I put on my Gerbings heated jacket liner under by mesh jacket and I'm pretty good down into the mid 20's. Below that I have heavier gear.

So I ride pretty much year round with my mesh gear supplemented by the liners it came with.

It's really summer here now with temps of mid 90's with 90% humidity...I'm pretty much done riding until it cools down; but when I do ride from mid 90+ to 105 ish...I wear the same mesh with a water cool vest underneath.

I much prefer 2 piece versus 1 as Terry pointed out it is easy to remove 1 thing versus the whole thing.

Jeff in VA

After going rough a lot of gear, I ended up with two Aerostich suits - a one-piece roadcrafter and a two-piece Darien. Both are waterproof, fit great, and offer great protection. Aerostich does pop-up events several times a year, so they may come to your location. I found they were very helpful on sizing on the phone. If you buy one of their suits and don’t like it, they will give you a refund.

I bought a two piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter in 2000 and it has served me well. Their step in and out zipper system makes getting in and out easy. I added the bib/suspenders zip on accessory so I can wear the pants with my leather in the coldest weather and a BMW summer weight mesh when too warm for the Aerostitch jacket. I was lucky enough to be able to have them measure me up and the suit is really comfy. At the time I was concerned about the cost, but remembering what road rash felt like, features and product quality sold me and it wears as well today as it did when new. Every snap zipper and Velcro tab is as good as new.

The Aerostitch gear breathes more than you might think and has some nice vent features, but is too hot in mid summer and I swap the Aerostitch for the BMW mesh jacket. That said in 17 years a lot more quality choices are out there and I would shop around if I were in the market, but would likely end up with the Aerostitch again.

When I stopped at their place in Deluth to get measured up they had a rack of suits that were sent in for repairs after a crash. Not all were fixable and some were from high speed get offs. What struck me was none had been scuffed though to the rider as they are well armored with extra heavy layers right where you'd be sliding on the road.

moshe_levy

I have Motoport's Kevlar jacket and pants, and I love them. Aerostich is good too. Worth every cent.

-MKL

I'm surprised no one mentioned Vanson. Expensive, and customer service can be spotty, but you can't beat good leather for protection. Light colors and perforated leather can be very cool and comfortable in warmer weather. And the solid leather makes a great wind-break, top layer over heated gear in the winter.

If you're really considering a 'stich, but are nervous about a few sticky points, such as price, I would suggest fear not. It really is a go anywhere, do anything suit. As for the cost, I hear lot of people say (myself included) that they got a lot of years and miles out of them, and they're probably cheaper in the long run. As for fit - do what I did: Order a suit, in random colors. Whatever they have on the shelf. Try it on, order different size, see what it takes. I tried on two, 2-piece suits at home, and ended up getting custom pants and an absolutely glorious fit. I spent $30 or so on shipping to try stuff on, but it was well worth it in my opinion. And be frank with them about your intentions. They will happily oblige.

Don't forget they have stellar suit repair skills (shoot, they should, they made the thing!). In the event of a crash or a bum zipper, they'll put it back together 100%. It's a point that's easily overlooked in this age of disposable stuff.

I would say that if you ride mostly in high heat, you might be better off with a mesh suit and a dedicated rain layer. I lived in Seattle for years, and used the stich virtually all the time. Then I moved to Hawaii for a couple years, and it barely came out of the closet. just too dang hot and humid there.

Incidentally, I also have a perforated Vanson jacket (which, again, incitentally, I got at Goodwill). It worked well on the island. I bought a set of Frog toggs to go with it. I think I used the toggs once. Mostly when it rained there in Kona, I was so grateful to be wet for a bit, I just went with it.

Edited by elkroeger

Don't forget they have stellar suit repair skills (shoot, they should, they made the thing!). In the event of a crash or a bum zipper, they'll put it back together 100%. It's a point that's easily overlooked in this age of disposable stuff.

Whats their turnaround time for repairs?

Pretty quick,but would depend on extent/complexity of repairs.

Probably best to call and discuss with them.

Also with prime riding season here,they may be a bit backed up.

JR356

I've been very pleased with my BMW Comfort suit and it is truly a 4 season outfit. It is completely breathable and waterproof, so no need for the jump on one leg dance in the rain while you try to get into a rain suit. I pair it with an electric liner when the temps drop below 50 degrees. It is ridiculously expensive, but mine has held up well for about 10 years of use now.

Some great advice here. I do believe I'll end up with a 2-piece Aerostich or Klim suit at some point. Klim does have some fairly local distributors in this area(I believe), so maybe I'll try some on for size. I think I'll get a mesh jacket/pants for the warmer months

Lucky Dave
I'm surprised no one mentioned Vanson. Expensive, and customer service can be spotty, but you can't beat good leather for protection. Light colors and perforated leather can be very cool and comfortable in warmer weather. And the solid leather makes a great wind-break, top layer over heated gear in the winter.

They don't advertise them, but Vanson makes bib style leathers.

They are race weight leather and race quality construction with all the armor, but with touring savvy features like big pockets, vents, heated jacket cord pass thru, etc.

The great thing about them is that they go with any leather jacket you have, (such as a sport jacket, mesh jacket, or Harley jacket) providing race track quality protection without having to be zipped to the jacket, and with long distance street comfort.

These are of course custom made to fit you in any color you desire for no extra charge, like all Vanson gear.

Call Vanson and ask for Kim, she and her husband are the owners.

Edited by Lucky Dave
markgoodrich

Lots of good comments here, but from a quick scan, I didn't see any "I crashed in my MotoStichFirstRocket" comments.

I, on the other hand, in the interest of real world testing, crashed the heck out of my suit, and me inside it, at the end of April. The entire right side of my body was smashed into a vertical embankment (road cut). My suit got very dirty, and has two small "pulls" on two of the second-layer elbow and shoulder Cordura seams. The armor protected: shin, knee, hip, forearm, elbow, and shoulder. Not a bruise, not a scratch, no rash. My ribs were unprotected by armor, and five fractured, as in broke into two pieces, and my right lung was punctured. In other words, I was barely injured. So the hospital stay was only about $75,000 before the insurance company's discount. The suit, by the way, is a dozen or more years old, and like others have mentioned, has been ridden in more than 150,000 miles. It is apparent to me that had I not been well-armored, I might have woken up dead in the hospital, with bones sticking out through the skin.

So my vote is for Rukka. After I get over the post-traumatic stress.

I had a roommate in the hospital who'd been in a wreck last December. He'd spent several MONTHS there, and may never walk right again. Mind, he was riding a Guzzi, so there's that. And he was in jeans.

Whatever you do, don't get on a VFR, no matter what you're wearing, those things are unrideable. I proved it. In front of almost all the attendees at the stupid NMS In The Middle gathering. Not only unrideable, but just a tiny tipover totaled the whole thing. Jeez....

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Motoport. Haven't crashed it, but I've got a lot of miles in the jacket and pants in 6 years. Still going strong with no inkling of needing something new.

I did a 35-40mph laydown as a result of an ice patch and slide in my Aerostich in January 16. Suit's fine, bike's still showing small scars.

I use a Rev'it Sand 3 two piece suit. It is technically a 3 season suit but, with a heated vest I could see it being a 4 season suit. It has a separate thermal and rain liner. The negative is that it is not Goretex. Still for sub $800 it us a great suit.

Edited by Richmon
Antimatter

I had a old one-piece Roadcrafter which was quite hot, and a pain to deal with if I had to stop for stuff when commuting. I do miss the ease of getting in and out of the thing, but it was far offset by the heat. I think the original design was great for riding a naked BMW airhead, but on a faired bike, in the summer and in traffic, you're going to be putting your cloths in the laundry when you get home. I haven't tried the new light version, or a Darien so I don't know if they've solved the heat issue.

If I had my druthers, I'd go for a Motoport mesh suit and expect to use my heated liner underneath it in cold weather, as well as carrying a rain suit. I don't ride in the rain, so being waterproof isn't an issue for me. And I'd gladly trade it for some venting in hot weather.

"don't ride in the rain"

:grin:

impossible around here.

:wave:

Like many, I have multiple kits to match different seasons

because

there is not one set up that works year round, for me, in our environment.

Back in the day, I wore a 3/4 leather jacket designed for world touring, year round.

Then came mesh, and textiles.

I rode in single digit to triple digits.

Combos of mesh/liners/electric/with rain gear over that worked down to medium low temps

but

for really cold then textile w/electic and sometimes rain over that for wet stuff.

Really warm, mesh, sometimes evaporative cooling vest.

Gaiters.

Fleece for cold, Aerostitch wind/soak for hot.

Like gloves :dopeslap:

we carried 8-10 pair for changing conditions/backup as riding with wet/cold gloves sux.

Aerostitch Tripl Digit solved a lot of problems, Gerbings, Held, and modern watrproof/warm and good old leather.

So, look around.

Adapt for your riding environment.

If we left here in the summer to go to the mountains it might be 100+ here and 50's or lower in mountains.

Then there's rain.

We always carried rain gear. Helps with wind/chill/ wet/adds warmth retention.

Yes, stuff is "waterproof".

But in an all day or extended deluge rain event stuff gets wet.

And stays wet.

Hence the outer layer to change things back to your favor.

Balaclavas, yes.

BMW's old Windstopper version is top notch. Silk is good/excellent.

Silk glove liners extend range and help keep appendages warmer.

Etc Etc

Good luck.

The choices abound limited only by your wallet and imagination.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Good for you Tim.

It's clear it has taken a lot of thought over a lot of years to figure all this out. The quest for trying to trying to find the best answers to the many conditions we encounter can be never ending. It looks to me that you have done very well. :thumbsup:

All the best to you!

Dave

Missouri Bob

Allow me to cast another vote in favor of an Aerostich Roadcrafter. My one-piece is more than ten years old. I've had zippers replaced. The last repair took two months.

I wear the suit year-round. If cold enough, I have a heated sweater. On the other extreme, I saw 110 F when riding in Northern Mexico a few years ago. Yes, I was hot, but the prospect of a Mexican ER made it tolerable.

Bob

Motoport. Hands down. Although I wouldn't kick a Roadcrafter out of bed, either.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

As you can see there are many good brands mentioned here.

Most importantly for you is to get a suit that fits YOU correctly. :thumbsup:

If you are an "off the rack fit" kind of guy great but if not a suit that offers custom fit options should be considered.

You really, really want the protection armor to be placed where it

is supposed to be in case of a get off. Knee pads should cover your knee

not your shin and so on.

Safe riding...

"don't ride in the rain"

:grin:

impossible around here.

:wave:

Yeah, the weather in the upper Midwest is a lot more 'monolithic' than down there. We generally don't get the rapid weather changes Florida or the mountain states get. It's either going to rain all day, or not.

The irony for me is that I live only two hours from Aerostich's headquarters in Duluth, so getting help with suit fitting is very easy for me. And I can hit the Dennis Kirk Scratch and Dent store on the way back, too. I think the 'stich works if you've got a low-temperature ectomorph body type. If you're a high-temp fire plug like myself, not so much. It's funny, but remembering the heat of the 'stich actually makes my stomach tighten. Conversely, I have fond memories of a 107 F ride I took in Arizona in a Motoport Canyon 2 jacket. There, I was comfy, tucked in behind a Hexhead fairing with a Camelbak, while watching huge dust devils spin up in the desert. Perception is reality, etc.

Motoport. Hands down. Although I wouldn't kick a Roadcrafter out of bed, either.

-MKL

My vote is for Motoport. It has rib armor. :)

Pricey, custom, more armor than most. Can be cumbersome, but seems to be the best protection.

I just received a Klim Apex Air mesh jacket in the mail today. Haven't taken a ride with it yet, but I am sure I'm going to love it. It fits great, seems to have good protection(for a mesh jacket) and looks like it has awesome venting. It obviously needs to be road tested before I can really praise about the jacket. Now, I am looking for some mesh pants. I have some reservations about the Klim Voyager Air pants due to multiple reviews conveying the knee pads sit too low and are not able to be adjusted to the proper place. I just got off the phone with Revzilla and the guy told me that people have sewn the pocket that holds the knee armor to keep the pad up a bit. I still may consider the Voyager Air, but looking for other other good recommendations for mesh pants? Also, I'm curious if people wear the mesh pants as overpants or if they are worn with just shorts or underwear underneath. Thank you again!

Pricey, custom, more armor than most. Can be cumbersome, but seems to be the best protection.

Anyone that wants the best protection in riding gear needs to look at MotoPort and make a decision if it is what they are looking for.

The coverage of the armor in the jacket puts EVERY other piece of gear I own in 3rd place, not even close enough to be called 2nd best. The pants are the same way. I have the kevlar mesh.

Not sure about cumbersome? I find it is lighter than the Aerostich gear, armor never rubs sore spots, Ease of movement as good as other gear even with added armor. Fit of where armor rides is perfect. Which you would expect with custom gear.

What is wrong with MotoPort gear? It costs a lot, especially if you get the custom ( absolutely ) waterproof liners. And it is probably the ugliest gear you can buy. It is hard to sew Kevlar and a perfectly tailored look it is not. But it sure is comfortable and I feel like this is the gear I want on when/if things go bad.

Mesh over bicycle shorts for me.

Usually.

Once in a while added either fleece warm up style athletic pants

when fairly cool, or, mesh athletic style when it was hot.

The fleece could change the comfort quite a bit in the mountains, for example.

The mesh, well, added a layer between skin and the riding overpants which helpd with vapor/sweat transfer.

YMMV.

Lone_RT_rider

-MKL

My Roadcrafter is on year 12 and other than replacing the velcro (helps water intrusion) it has been just perfect. I highly recommend taking the plunge if you spend any amount of time riding.

RCR%202012%20Shawn%20and%20Craig-XL.jpg

Thanks again for all replies guys. For now, I'm just going to go with mesh pants, then at some point, get a colder weather jacket and pants. I'm going to order the Klim Voyager Air pants. I took my first ride with the Klim Apex Air jacket earlier today and man, is it ever comfortable. It fits like a glove. I think it's going to do the trick for my upper half. I'll let you know how the Voyager Air pants fare.