IGNORED

Fish wire for wiring lights?

Knobby10

On my '16 RT can I run a fish wire from front auxiliary lights to the power source under the seat or do I have to take all the tupperware off? If I have to take the panels off which side is preferable?

Thanks for any experience/advice.

Lynn

Bill_Walker

You at least need to take the right side Tupperware off. The battery terminals are accessible on the right side. The wiring harness also runs along the right side, and it's good to run your wiring alongside it as much as possible.

On my '16 RT can I run a fish wire from front auxiliary lights to the power source under the seat or do I have to take all the tupperware off? If I have to take the panels off which side is preferable?

Lynn

Sorry I don't understand your terminaology.

What is this 'fish wire' you talk of?

I know what a 'fish tape' is, for pulling extra wires thru conduits and the like. Is this what you mean? If so, you will have no idea or where the new wire you want to install is laid. Pulling the tupperware and tank is the way to install any new cabling to ensure the routing is perfect. Otherwise you may well end up with a fire!

There is a factory auxiliary wiring harness for lights already on the bike. I think the pigtail is under the left panel that covers the tank ( body color with BMW emblem). You can buy the factory control pack for the handlebars and plug that in so it looks/works like factory. I think you have to have the computer hooked up to recognize it by a BMW dealer. Just a thought, might be a way to consider.

LittleBriar
You at least need to take the right side Tupperware off. The battery terminals are accessible on the right side. The wiring harness also runs along the right side, and it's good to run your wiring alongside it as much as possible.

As Bill suggested, you have to take the right side off to connect to battery. It's quite easy to remove the Tupperware. Do it once, and no problems after. Watch out for the weak tabs. There's plenty of YouTube videos available for step by step. Once removed, you can wire tie the wires to other harnesses or frame for a neat and secure routing.

Lynn

Morning Lynn

Yes, sort of anyhow.

As long as you are going under the seat & not to the battery.

I'm not sure about using a fish wire but you can sneak a stiff piece of mechanics wire down the R/H side (or at least I did on my friends 2016RT,

I used a stiff piece of mechanics wire with one end bent back on itself (about 1/2" bent back) then a single layer of electrical tape on the rounded end),

It took a few tried but I got it through with a little work.

I will caution you to make sure that whatever wire harness that you pull though with your fishing wire has a GOOD PROTECTIVE covering on it (personally I like to use small diameter convoluted wire harness covering).

What I did for my friend was temporary until the next time he removes the Tupperware, at that time he will zip tie the added wire harness to the main harness.

Thanks guys, I've had the tupperware off several times so it's no big deal. I was just trying to find short cut---which usually ends up taking me more time than doing it the right way the first time...I never seem to learn....sigh!!

Bill_Walker

Re fishing wires, Clearwater sent me a great solution along with my Darlas: a heavy-duty cable tie with the fastener end cut off. I'm talking one that's about 1/4" wide and a foot to 18" long. It makes a great fish tape, much safer for other wiring than using a metal one.

Agree on the right side because of the harness. That is the side that I run the wires for my Clearwater lights. Don't need a fish "wire" (proper terminology is as Andy had pointed out as fish-tape).

I am fairly sure though that the battery connections are made on the LEFT side of the bike, where you have access to the negative terminal of the battery, and the positive is accessed via a tap connection beside the battery, or is my memory faulty again?? :)

Bill_Walker
I am fairly sure though that the battery connections are made on the LEFT side of the bike, where you have access to the negative terminal of the battery, and the positive is accessed via a tap connection beside the battery, or is my memory faulty again?? :)

You've got it exactly backwards, at least on my '15. The battery is accessible on the right, and the negative terminal is right there. There's an auxiliary positive terminal mounted slightly forward of the battery on the right side. You can't even see the battery from the left side of the bike.

Here's a shot of the battery (with the rubber hold-down strap and foam wrapper) and auxiliary post (with red wires connected):

35535521010_ba479603d5_z.jpg

The split loom at the top of the photo is carrying my accessory wiring.

Edited by Bill_Walker