IGNORED

Final Drive Question

Hank R1200RT

Hank R1200RT

Please excuse the basic nature[1] of this question. I am getting ready to try the final drive fluid change myself. The Youtube videos I have viewed are only for hexheads, not camheads. Is is necessary to remove the rear wheel on camheads to add the new fluid?

It looks like the water cooled engines have both a fill plug and a drain plug, if I am looking at it correctly. So I was hoping...

[1] "basic nature" sounds so much better than "dumb".

The '13 Camheads have both a drain and a fill plug. I tried with the wheel on, doesn't work as the spoke is in the way when taking out the plug and filling with fluid.

Go to a beauty supply store; they have plastic bottles with angled spouts calibrated in ml.

Bill

Hank R1200RT

Thank you for the response, Highway 41. Good idea about the beauty supply store. Can you actually see the fill plug through the spokes and ABS unit? I have not gotten down there to look, still at the Youtube research level...

Yes you can. The fill plug is on the right lower side of the hub as your looking from the muffler side. Takes a 6mm hex key. ABS unit is on the top of the hub held by a screw.

There's a crush washer in the fill hole, but no crush washer for the drain plug. May want to pick one up. Fluid is real thick, give it time to drain, weep, and drip. And it fluid really stinks!

Do not use a 6mm hex wrench on the final drive fill plug. The fill plug is a Torx T40 size. A hex will fit but will catch the ends of the flats and it will eventually strip past it and then you might end up with a project removing the plug. I too thought it was a 6mm. BMW uses Torx hardware not hex as OEM. So far I found no hex hardware on my 2012.

Should you need a replacement fill plug the P/N is 07119904550.

The crush gasket P/N is 07119963132.

The drain plug uses a o-ring for sealing.

The torque values are the same for both plugs.

20nm. I doubt you'll get a torque wrench on the fill plug. Just tighten it up snug minus gorilla strength and that should be good.

Hank R1200RT

Regarding hex vs. Torx - several bolts on the underside of the engine case are hex (Allen) - engine oil drain plug is 8mm. But majority are Torx as you say.

It's a torx. I ordered a replacement since I was chewing up the original one with my 6mm hex wrench. I made that same mistake. Fortunately I was able to realize it and replaced it before I really screwed it up.

It's a torx. I ordered a replacement since I was chewing up the original one with my 6mm hex wrench. I made that same mistake. Fortunately I was able to realize it and replaced it before I really screwed it up.

Good. I guess they finally got it right for the 2013. My K bike definitely calls for a 6mm Hex on the fill side - (07119904550 SCREW PLUG - M12X1,5-ZNNIV)