IGNORED

Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Long Distance Riding?

RT5HTP

One of the reasons I went with the RT was wind protection. Except for a few minor things(compared to my prior ride), I love the bike. The Tinnitus(due to noise exposure) is pretty new to me(3/6/17) and I want to continue with annual long distance rides(3500-4000 miles). Have any of you Tinnitus sufferers out there continued long distance riding after being diagnosed with hearing loss/Tinnitus? Has your hearing/Tinnitus worsened as a result? My trips are done in a relatively short amount of time(a little over a week), due to work, family, etc. Since my hearing loss, I always protect my ears when cutting the grass, snow blowing, using a drill, etc. I currently wear ear plugs(always) when riding, wear a Schuberth C3 Pro, have a great aftermarket windshield(s), putting on Aeroflow wind deflectors and plan to keep my speed down- to the greatest possible extent( high MPH = high dB). I have seen ENT(twice) and Audiology(twice) and have been told I should be fine, but I want to hear from people who actually ride and have this direct experience. Thank you!

Earplugs.

:thumbsup:

Windscreen that is effective.

Possible addition of something like Laminar Lip if needed.

And then, years ago, some members posted about how gear can affect "noise".

Sometimes things like collars, flaps, shoulder piece placement, etc can produce air movement that attenuated "sound/noise" that

isn't what we generally think about wrt to hearing on the bike.

Then the whole issue of "clean air" and buffeted air.

That depends on your height/build and the screen set up.

I've never had a windscreen that "worked" as is.

Taller than design parameters.

But, a short Z Tech, well that was clean air and enjoyable.

Lacked in weather protection obviously.

So if you have the problem diagnosed, you can ride, just find the right ear plug for your needs, they vary quite a bit.

Set the screen/gear for best usage, have fun.

Best wishes.

I have been dealing with tinnitus for 30+ years. Your best protection is a set of earplugs. As Tallman stated you can try different windshields and helmets and gear but earplugs are cheap, easy and if used correctly they work.

Got tinnitus pretty bad. Buy the quietest helmet you can afford and use either ear plugs or, if you need to hear your GPS or music, good earbuds. I find listening to music covers up the ringing pretty well and the use of earbuds means that the volume does not need to be very loud. I switched from modular to full face helmets to reduce noise and rarely ride with the top vents open as they produce a lot of wind noise. Sucks to be us, but it beats dealing with cancer (which I also survived) or some other terrible affliction! i.e. the glass is half filled.

Edited by AZgman

I've had it for years. I have custom earplugs that I got at a motorcycle show. One thing I notice is the ringing is louder with the earplugs in, but I assume the lack of noise, wind, road, whatever, is protecting what hearing I have left. If I think I'm going to be on slow roads I'll leave them out, and listen to music. Otherwise I leave them in. I use them 80% of the time. I also notice that putting the helmet face shield down cuts the noise, especially if I have left them out, and it gets loud out there.

I have had the issue for many years, but perhaps not as bad as yours. Comes from decades of being out on very noisy factory floor and not wearing hearing protections!

Everything that you are doing is spot on! I do exactly the same things while riding. The only difference is that I wear a Shoei Neotec helmet instead of your Schuberth, but both helmets are very quiet.

I've spent most of my life in noisy environments, starting out as a teenager with a mowing job. I've been known to put the earplugs in, in the morning, ride to work, and forget I have them in until lunchtime. I always have earplugs in my pockets. Keeping them handy is the key to using them when needed. Sometimes I'll put the earplugs in, and then put earmuffs on, over the top of them.

I've always wanted some of those custom earplugs. I haven't looked that closely at them, but I get the impression you get better noise reduction. My ear canals are fairly large, and I can hear okay with plugs in, whereas my wife complains that earplugs hurt her ears after a while, but then she can't hear a damn thing with them in.

I've also been known to try cramming 2 plugs in each ear, and stuff socks up around my neck inside my helmet on really long trips because I've reached my limit on the noise. (I have to say that 2 plugs didn't help much. A well placed sock, however, was fairly effective)

Edited by elkroeger

I appreciate the input and got a couple of new ideas, now my main quesions:

"Have any of you Tinnitus sufferers out there continued long distance riding after being diagnosed with hearing loss/Tinnitus? Has your hearing/Tinnitus worsened as a result"?

Yes. I cover about 16,000 miles per year. And I always wear earplugs.

And I have tinnitus pretty bad.

I have found that the foam plugs really irritate my ears on long trips. And I have tried every known brand of foam plug. I wear custom plugs I bought through my audiologist, and replace them when the wind noise reappears (after many years of use).

Unfortunately, many people (like me) "get religion" only when it's too late. Decades of model airplane engines, lawnmowers, power tools, guns, explosives, rock concerts, and riding motorcycles have taken their toll.

I have been wearing earplugs for about 15 years to prevent things from getting any worse, but I have tinnitus 24x7. Fortunately, it's not so bad that I can't tune it out (unless reminded of it by something, such as reading this topic).

I have never owned a loud motorcycle, so I suspect that the #1 culprit is wind noise. I remember riding from Monterey to Los Angeles to visit my wife ~40 years ago, and thinking how quiet everything was when I got off the bike. If only I had known then what I know now....

Yes. I cover about 16,000 miles per year. And I always wear earplugs.

And I have tinnitus pretty bad.

I have found that the foam plugs really irritate my ears on long trips. And I have tried every known brand of foam plug. I wear custom plugs I bought through my audiologist, and replace them when the wind noise reappears (after many years of use).

After your diagnosis, did your Tinnitus worsen due to your riding? I've been wearing plugs (always) since diagnosed with hearing loss. The longest, continuous amount of time I've had plugs in is about 6 hours(mild irritation/not bad). It will be interesting to see how the soft plugs will fare for all day/multiple days during a trip. I am picking up my custom ear molds this Friday and I'll see how they are. Thanks.

I don't have hearing issues so not directly answering your question, but one thing that I notice makes a huge difference in noise is having the chin guard in the helmet...the little piece that attaches to the bottom and extends about 3 inchers toward your chin. I only put mine in in the winter to cut down on cold air but it also lowers the wind noise pretty substantially.

Had it for years, always wear foam ear plugs and it has NOT worsened. Relax, we aren't going to get out of this alive. Enjoy your life as you chose.

As a drummer, I have tinnitus. Years of playing kind of produced it. Years ago I took to wearing ear plugs while playing and riding - the "T" has not worsened.

I just read on http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm about the 3M ear plugs being the best they have found. I ordered a box on line and will be checking them out this weekend. I received them, just have not had a chance to wear them yet. I did notice they are much more malleable than regular throw away plugs so the fit will be better.

As a drummer, I have tinnitus. Years of playing kind of produced it. Years ago I took to wearing ear plugs while playing and riding - the "T" has not worsened.

I just read on http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm about the 3M ear plugs being the best they have found. I ordered a box on line and will be checking them out this weekend. I received them, just have not had a chance to wear them yet. I did notice they are much more malleable than regular throw away plugs so the fit will be better.

I have been using them for a few years now, and they are good with reasonable comfort level after a long ride, along with the excellent noise reduction.

Edited by PadG

I spent most of my career in the infantry. Every year/other year I'd go for a hearing test and get asked about the ringing in my ears. I'd answer no because it's always been there so it's always tuned out and I didn't think my ears were ringing. As soon as i'd go in the booth, blam, the ringing would be extremely loud.....duh, it's just one of those things that get's coped with.

I now wear hearing aids from lotsa bang bangs and boom booms. On the bike, I wear ear plugs. My hearing loss and tinnitius isn't going to prevent me from enjoying life. If it get's worse, I'll turn the TV louder and my wife will have to say things for the fifth or sixth time until I get it. She does the drive through ordering (sounds charlie brown to me) and most of the interpreting from the "low talkers" of the world.

I've got muffs and plugs strategically located near every power tool and yard equipment. Generally, nothing gets turned on without dampening the sound. May be a bit too late, but it's a bit more peace of mind.

...Decades of model airplane engines, lawnmowers, power tools, guns, explosives, rock concerts, and riding motorcycles....

Jeez, I'm coming over to your place this weekend. I've been missing out!

Francois_Dumas
I appreciate the input and got a couple of new ideas, now my main quesions:

"Have any of you Tinnitus sufferers out there continued long distance riding after being diagnosed with hearing loss/Tinnitus? Has your hearing/Tinnitus worsened as a result"?

Yes and not that I know of..... My wife thinks I am deliberately not hearing (her) and that it is getting worse..... :grin:

But with good protection (as stated above by many) I don't think it has become worse by riding..... when on local roads and speeds like 40mph max, I don't even bothered with the earplugs.

I'm partial to the 3M and Hearos. They work great for me. But, I need tweezers to remove them! I tried Pura-Fit plugs, which are longer amd work well, but found them a little too long(painful).

I worked 35 years running heavy equipment. Which means I had earplugs in for 8-12 hours at a time. You find what works and what is not so good. Seems there hasn't been all that many changes in these over the years. I have a custom set of molded ear plugs that are simply outstanding. I have always thought the EAR brand of yellow foam ear plugs were the most comfortable and quietest of all. Sometimes I still use foam as it is easy to use and I just want a change from the molded plugs. My wife bought a set of Leight for Women in a fuschia or pink color. WOW! these are for smaller ear canals. Maybe I have them? These are outstanding. I think the shape has to do with a good fit, the end is flared. Which also makes them easy to remove. Try these if you are not satisfied with what you have. I think the make them in orange also, the manufacturer site shows them. I just don't know for sure they are the exact same?

Edited by realshelby

I'm a big fan of custom molded plugs. I've a pair for shooting that I made myself, and a pair for riding that I got at made at a rally, both work exceptionally well. I've also noticed that if I maintain my blood pressure well that my tinnitus will practically disappear. Good luck, experimentation is your friend, you will find the right combination.

Have any of you Tinnitus sufferers out there continued long distance riding after being diagnosed with hearing loss/Tinnitus? Has your hearing/Tinnitus worsened as a result?

Here's a good article about what's involved w/ motorcycles and hearing damage which is it appears mostly a function of unattenuated wind noise. From this article one would predict you will have worsening hearing damage over time provided you haven't adequately addressed exposure:

Motorcycle Hearing loss Facts

I have put on 48K miles now in the past 3y. The first 23K were on a bike w/ no wind protection whatsoever for wind noise, and use the foam plugs inserted in one of two ways, fully into the canal requiring blunt-tipped tweezers which I have on a magnet in the inside lid of my top case. I have a Shoei RF-1200 which is decent for noise, but clearly w/o plugs at high speeds on my F800GT w/o screen protection would easily hit the 100dB+ level were it not for plugs properly inserted. I started w/ Howard Leight MAX which were 33dB NRR but I found w/ their smooth exterior were prone to migration outwards when changing elevations while riding. The 3M 29dB plugs have some porosity so stay put better. I have also found I don't need to fully insert these into my tortuous canals for shorter rides--I can just role one end into a 3/16" cylinder and insert that end into the narrow part of the canals, and leave the mushroomed out end just barely seated and they likely don't get the full 29dB NRR but good enough now for around town or lower speed rides on my '16 RT w/ its stock screen.

I am tinnitus-free 99% of the time, but have experienced it a bit. I play music always while riding via SENA 10R and find sound quality thru earplugs is actually better than w/o, though the volume has to be well up, but again, that sound is going thru earplugs so amplitude is attenuated accordingly.

Edited by NoelCP
Have any of you Tinnitus sufferers out there continued long distance riding after being diagnosed with hearing loss/Tinnitus? Has your hearing/Tinnitus worsened as a result?

Here's a good article about what's involved w/ motorcycles and hearing damage which is it appears mostly a function of unattenuated wind noise. From this article one would predict you will have worsening hearing damage over time provided you haven't adequately addressed exposure:

Motorcycle Hearing loss Facts

I have put on 48K miles now in the past 3y. The first 23K were on a bike w/ no wind protection whatsoever for wind noise, and use the foam plugs inserted in one of two ways, fully into the canal requiring blunt-tipped tweezers which I have on a magnet in the inside lid of my top case. I have a Shoei RF-1200 which is decent for noise, but clearly w/o plugs at high speeds on my F800GT w/o screen protection would easily hit the 100dB+ level were it not for plugs properly inserted. I started w/ Howard Leight MAX which were 33dB NRR but I found w/ their smooth exterior were prone to migration outwards when changing elevations while riding. The 3M 29dB plugs have some porosity so stay put better. I have also found I don't need to fully insert these into my tortuous canals for shorter rides--I can just role one end into a 3/16" cylinder and insert that end into the narrow part of the canals, and leave the mushroomed out end just barely seated and they likely don't get the full 29dB NRR but good enough now for around town or lower speed rides on my '16 RT w/ its stock screen.

I am tinnitus-free 99% of the time, but have experienced it a bit. I play music always while riding via SENA 10R and find sound quality thru earplugs is actually better than w/o, though the volume has to be well up, but again, that sound is going thru earplugs so amplitude is attenuated accordingly.

I did come across this article in the past. Good info.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been dealing with tinnitus for 30+ years. Your best protection is a set of earplugs. As Tallman stated you can try different windshields and helmets and gear but earplugs are cheap, easy and if used correctly they work.

In my case, the damage is done. Playing in rock bands and shooting. Not a good thing.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Thank you realshelby for your input re: E-A-R plugs.

Are you suggesting using the E-A-R "yellow foam plugs" as opposed to their "quiet ear reusable musician and motorcycle ear plugs"?

Thank You

Dave