IGNORED

Who offers extended motorcycle warranties for bmw?

paRTy

Checked through search function - no info I could find.

Can anyone suggest a dealer or 3rd party who offers extended coverage insurance for our bikes? R1200RTW to be exact.

Thanks.

Beware that these are NOT extended warranties, but service plans. They won't cover nearly what the BMW basic warranty would cover for instance.

You do not have to buy through your dealer or finance institution.

Pinnacle

Southeast Financial

Wholesale Warranties

National Repairs

You can contact your BMW dealer, who would love to sell you an extended service plan as well. These are typically a third party provider.

Thanks Realshelby.

When I first bought my 14RTW, I was offered an extended plan from dealer (3rd party) that I believe was 7 years, starting at time of bike purchase. Was too much money considering the new bike also. Now with the 3 years coming to a close in September, Im looking for that kind of extension.

I thought it covered everything BMW did, but can't recall honestly.

Will check out your suggestions.

thx

Thanks Realshelby.

When I first bought my 14RTW, I was offered an extended plan from dealer (3rd party) that I believe was 7 years, starting at time of bike purchase. Was too much money considering the new bike also. Now with the 3 years coming to a close in September, Im looking for that kind of extension.

I thought it covered everything BMW did, but can't recall honestly.

7 years, 3 of which are already covered by BMW, will only give you some extra miles should you go over the 36,000 miles the BMW warranty gives. So normally the only advantage would be if they offer towing or bike replacement rental, etc.

There is no extended service contract I am aware of that is as comprehensive in coverage as an OEM basic warranty. They will cover most parts that fail, but would not cover a seam on a seat coming apart. Stuff like that. May or may not cover a latch on a pannier for instance. You MUST read the fine print. The amount they pay may no satisfy some dealers charges, but that is not usually the case with the better companies. They can be even worse about aftermarket add-ons than the factory.

I purchased my extended warranty through Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton, Pa. where I purchased my 14RT . Warranty is for 84 months with unlimited miles for around $1,150.00 . I had a front universal joint fail on the drive shaft ( at 73,879 miles )the total bill was $1,344.35 of which I paid $124.68 ( deductible and state sales tax on the part ) ,so to me it was definitely worth the money. My warranty is with Service Guard Systems , Inc. XtremeGard service contract , might want to check it out.

I have always purchased an extended warranty he on my BMWs. For me it's comfort and the ability to sleep at night knowing if any of the major components fail I'm covered. And for me the cost Is pretty reasonable. On my current 2016 RT I was able to add five years to the manufactures three years for a total of eight years at a cost of less than $1000. Not sure how you slice it but worst case it comes out to $200 a year for the added years assuming I don't exceed the 36,000 miles in three years offered by BMW. This is a zero deductible plan and it has in the past helped me sell my motorcycles. However if I opt to not transferred to the new owner there is a balance rebated back for the unused portion.

And I totally understand these extended warranty/service plans are much like insurance if you don't use them you lose it. I've only ever had to use one once on my 2006 RT.

Also I have always used the underwriter or company that my dealer is suggesting since they're the ones that have to deal with any claims and if they tell me the company is easy to deal with that gives me confidence .

Edited by RTinNC

Thanks for the advice guys, I will check out all that were mentioned and make the best decision.

Appreciate the info and help.

I'm not sure. On my '99 the ABS sensor on the front wheel went out while under OEM warranty after that nothing until a brake line went leaky at the tender age of 16 years old. So, I skipped it on the '15 RT...but this tenchno-wonder has so many more systems to go wrong VS the '99 that I wonder if it was a wise choice.

I will investigate the list above as well. I have always created a rainy day bike fund throwing a few bucks into here or there along the way for the unexpected. Given how reliable the '99 was I rolled $1100 into the '15 fund, but may need to up the input rate to match how pricey things have gotten.

My life long friend says HD stands for hundred dollars as nothing for his Hawg is less than that. My counter is that BMW stands for big money wad as that is what you need on hand at the Beemer shop

When I think about extended warranties/service agreements, I ask myself one question. Is anything that can go wrong with the object going to seriously impact my financial status?

If the answer is yes, for example a fire that burns down my house, then I purchase the insurance/warranty.

If the answer is no, then it is simply a question of the odds. Which is likely to be cheaper, paying for what ever goes wrong, or buying the coverage. Since the companies that sell extended warranties are not losing money, it is clear that the odds are that it will be cheaper to go without the coverage.

For some, the peace of mind that comes with an extended service agreement might be worth the money they lose over the long term with it. For me, I don't stay awake worrying about the short term expense of what might go wrong with one bike. I know that over the long term I am spending less.

Forgot to mention on my current '16 RT I used RPM One. They are one of the few who will add 5 years. Oh and understand the price is totally negotiable just like the price if the bike. I am very lucky to have a great dealer who gave me a good price on both the bike and extended warranty.