IGNORED

HiRez gear and riding 2 lane curvy, rural roads in Southern California?

1934RT

Hello all I hope this is the right section for these questions.

I bought my 2006 R1200RT in Thailand in 2007, there are a lot of BMW event and rides here but I haven't ridden much since having a child in 2011 but have started riding it a bit again since we moved to a rural area in Thailand, there is not much traffic but what little traffic there is has little regard for human life, mine, not theirs ha!! I will start a new project for work back in LA and really want to start riding and wanted to get input, where people ride and feel safe and also if a HiRez jacket and helmet really make much difference. I had a 2004 K1200GT, white/blue and was surprised how little if any road rage or ignorant people pulling in front of me thinking it was some kind of LEO vehicle. Anyway the 2017 RT comes in white and I was thinking it may add to that equation, I didn't want people thinking I was any form of CHP or whatever, but maybe it would somehow register and trigger them to actually pay attention if they see a white RT with the rider wearing a HiViz jacket and helmet! It seems like they have used the white/blue/HiRez in many places in the World for some reason, it looks kind of stupid but if it saves my hide or life I would rather ride and look that way than not ride at all. Thanks in advance for any useful input on your experiences.

Also, today I started looking at Jackets and Helmets and have found some good HiRez gear but also some orange or red gear that may be also as effective and not look I am a School crosswalk guard. I have been looking at the 2017 R1200RT in white so any gear would blend good and also I was thinking of adding some vinyl graphics or red or blue stripes on sections of the body to make the bike more visible without looking like the Polizei

And lastly, any riders in Southern California have any input or experience reducing any higher risk riding situation or places? (Mulholland Dr. on the weekends, or two lane, curvy Mountain roads) I used to live in Northern California and ride every Tuesday on CA Hwy 50, 49, 88, 4, 108, 120 etc and it was great, I really never had to worry about too much crazy, unexpected stuff, cars cutting into my lane in blind corners, hay bales in the road etc. Again, just looking for input and experience to be able to live and ride another day!!

Anyway, some gear I have found, the red and orange seem like they would be effective. Thanks in advance for any input or experiences.

http://static.chaparral-racing.com/productimages/1300/225-1651-5702.jpg

http://static.chaparral-racing.com/productimages/1300/225-1460-1502.jpg

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/2014-Nolan-N44-Helmet-Fluorescent-Orange-MCSS.jpg

Hi Viz yellow jacket and white helmet is a good combo. White helmet always stands out. You can always wear a high biz ventalated construction vest over your motorcycle jacket for much less $. I'm a big fan of buying good quality high viz gear.

Best wishes!

Thanks, how did you get those to show up like that in the post? I guess I need to read the instructions better, I thought that is what I did! But actually when I scrolled down the orange really caught my eye and both jackets and helmet stand out, bright orange is just not a common color so maybe it's a good combo and a perfect Halloween costume.

I know it's all about safety but when I was back in California, it seemed like I saw a ton of riders on new and old Goldwing's with a white helmet, tan hunting gloves, crosswalk guard looking HiRez vest, jeans and big, clunky white sneakers, that's the look I am trying to avoid, gotta look cool for the ladies haha!!

I bought a First Gear Dayglo jacket, and went on a trip with friends. One of the guys bought one later saying how well he could see me, either in his mirrors, or in front. On another trip I was at a rest stop on Hwy 5, and an older guy came up and told me that something happened (couldn't understand exactly) with a motorcycle, and if the motorcyclist didn't have the Dayglo on he would have never seen him. I'm sold on mine.

szurszewski

Thanks, how did you get those to show up like that in the post? I guess I need to read the instructions better, I thought that is what I did! But actually when I scrolled down the orange really caught my eye and both jackets and helmet stand out, bright orange is just not a common color so maybe it's a good combo and a perfect Halloween costume.

You're welcome! For this forum software to know you're trying to show it, you have to use a bit of html tagging; specifically you need to wrap the url for the image in url.jpg goes in here

You can either add the tag yourself or click the button on top of the compose window that looks like a postage stamp/missing image icon and then paste the url into the pop up. The text looks like this, but only without the ~~~ I added before and after the url (if I didn't, it would show up as a picture):

225-1651-5702.jpg~~~

You're welcome! For this forum software to know you're trying to show it, you have to use a bit of html tagging; specifically you need to wrap the url for the image in url.jpg goes in here

You can either add the tag yourself or click the button on top of the compose window that looks like a postage stamp/missing image icon and then paste the url into the pop up. The text looks like this, but only without the ~~~ I added before and after the url (if I didn't, it would show up as a picture):

225-1651-5702.jpg~~~

Ah thanks I forgot Forums 101, it's been awhile, I get around anything Motorcycle related, new gear, gadgets, bikes I lose all common sense. I know, read the instructions ha! Safety is primary but I have to ride in style!

I haven't quite gotten the color scheme for the new RT in white, but have had this idea for awhile and some good deals out there on new 2016 R's. I learned to ride on a 70's Bonneville in High School and now even Triumph has ABS, traction control, cruise control, heated grips etc so good for a second bike, I am just not sure where it would be safe to ride it. I found a lot of good ride maps for SoCal, I guess I need to stick to my proven plan of riding on a Tuesday and just ride at a sane speed. But in the reality the safest place for the Triumph is probably in my office on a stand.

Woohoo, I have conquered the forum pic attachment process!

61Nu4enpqBL._SL1000_.jpg

225-1460-1102.jpg

Thruxton-R-Diablo-Red-Front-Quarter.jpg

I wear a 14 year old, 175k+ Hi-Vis Areostitch one piece (yeah right.... it was hi-vis when new anyway) & a hi-VI's helmet.

My old 03RT is setup with Moto lights, highbeem flasher, HID lowbeem, amber HID fog lights & turnsignal running lights.

When I picked up a Zero DSR back in May I felt a bit venerable.

Installing a LED H4 lamp was easy enough but I've yet to acquire all the components I'll need to add additional lighting to it.

Initially I felt very venerable without all the lights of the RT but I've noticed that I seem to be noticed even without it.

So for me the hi-vis works.

I also weave/rock the bike side to side when I see a vehical that is a threat.

Any road in SoCal can be all yours if you ride it before or after the crowds do.

For the most part on week days the Santa Monica's are empty.

My commute to work is through &/or over the Santa Monica's, to PCH.

Lucky me.

The best money that I have spent, and I commute in SoCal and put 15k+ miles a year on my bike, is my Clearwater Krista LED driving lights with amber lenses. They are expensive, but a total game changer. You are impossible to ignore.

I wear a 14 year old, 175k+ Hi-Vis Areostitch one piece (yeah right.... it was hi-vis when new anyway) & a hi-VI's helmet.

My old 03RT is setup with Moto lights, highbeem flasher, HID lowbeem, amber HID fog lights & turnsignal running lights.

Installing a LED H4 lamp was easy enough but I've yet to acquire all the components I'll need to add additional lighting to it.

Initially I felt very venerable without all the lights of the RT but I've noticed that I seem to be noticed even without it.

Any road in SoCal can be all yours if you ride it before or after the crowds do.

Lucky me.

Thanks, I feel good going back to the Cali roads during the week, like I say, the only threat was a Sheriff or CHP nodding off on break on the side of the road and probably never even saw me, but many times going over some of the passes I would actually see no other cars for hours on a Tuesday vs the weekend, forget it, jam packed!

Actually I am leaning towards most of the bike HiViz, but I also like the Red, Orange and Kawasaki Green, sorry I grew up in the 70s and 80s and used to go to see the Kawasaki Green dirtikes and drool.

Also I am kind of thinking that in California, an all white RT with a HiViz jacket and helmet would trigger most peoples adrenaline or trigger that part of the brain says "Oh chit, cops, pay attention, get off the phone, stop texting" so maybe I can use that to my advantage.

And lastly, I am wondering why BMW would offer the RT in all white, I would think people may get harassed or pulled over often due to the CHP, Police etc thinking they are trying to impersonate an officer? Any thoughts or am I just paranoid of anything to do with black & whites? Actually I have met very friendly officers on duty that seem to like people riding an RT when they are on one, I am just not sure about the all white scheme.

20616841_10212723518875724_2283693955370920103_o.jpg?oh=392537e25df4745289ce805cdd9ed21a&oe=59FEEF49

20507064_10212723518995727_3086137091155640406_o.jpg?oh=6597ca612b7a09fa36c103987fd585af&oe=59EB856B

20616841_10212723518875724_2283693955370920103_o.jpg?oh=392537e25df4745289ce805cdd9ed21a&oe=59FEEF49

Edited by 1934RT

Darn, and I thought I had the pic attaching figured out, I will mess with it later, it looks like the address is the wrong format for an jpg image.

szurszewski
Darn, and I thought I had the pic attaching figured out, I will mess with it later, it looks like the address is the wrong format for an jpg image.

Yeah - this forum's software REALLY wants that URL to end in .jpg or it isn't happy.

Can't speak about SoCal, but here on the east coast, I would not ride without HiViz. I was one of the first if not the first in my area to sport the Olympia HiViz air jacket. I picked it because it was HiViz, more so than any other fabric jackets at that time. it is Yellow Green and really stands out. On numerous occasions, cars will start to pull out in front of me from an intersection and slam on their brakes so the nose will bob up and down. As I go past them they seem wide eyed like, "wow, where did you come from." One rider safety class I took (police taught) encourage all riders to wear or use HiViz. They did say that studies (which like statistics can be skewed) point to HiViz gloves as being the best. When you approach an area that others need to see you, just wave your hand and that catches the eye much more quickly. Frankly, I am not taking my hands off of the bars in an intersection or round about.

One last point worth mentioning, for some reason people see the RT and me with HiViz and instantly think I'm a cop. It is really funny on the High Way.

Edited by Sonor

Yeah - this forum's software REALLY wants that URL to end in .jpg or it isn't happy.

I just figured that out this week, all this modern etiquette ha!!

Can't speak about SoCal, but here on the east coast, I would not ride without HiViz. I was one of the first if not the first in my area to sport the Olympia HiViz air jacket. I picked it because it was HiViz, more so than any other fabric jackets at that time. it is Yellow Green and really stands out. On numerous occasions, cars will start to pull out in front of me from an intersection and slam on their brakes so the nose will bob up and down. As I go past them they seem wide eyed like, "wow, where did you come from." One rider safety class I took (police taught) encourage all riders to wear or use HiViz. They did say that studies (which like statistics can be skewed) point to HiViz gloves as being the best. When you approach an area that others need to see you, just wave your hand and that catches the eye much more quickly. Frankly, I am not taking my hands off of the bars in an intersection or round about.

One last point worth mentioning, for some reason people see the RT and me with HiViz and instantly think I'm a cop. It is really funny on the High Way.

With you on that, I don't want to look like I am playing Police but I do want to use that against drivers, it seems like they are more concerned with the hassle of getting pulled over and cited than they are about taking a human life and messing up their social media agenda! I remember now hearing that a lot from guys I rode with when I had my blue/white 1200GT, they would have a heart attack 20 times a day every time they look in the rear view mirrors thinking the CHP was on them!! The downside that I remember was EVERYBODY slowed down and did the speed limit but it's better than getting wiped out by a cager!

The best money that I have spent, and I commute in SoCal and put 15k+ miles a year on my bike, is my Clearwater Krista LED driving lights with amber lenses. They are expensive, but a total game changer. You are impossible to ignore.

Thanks, I am checking those out, they are definitely bright which is what we need!

Following, not replying to.

Hi Viz is great.

Accessory lights are great.

Situational awareness is mandatory.

ATGATT

They pull out in front of school buses, fire trucks, ambulances,

and LEO vehicles.

Believing that there is a cure is misguided, IMO.

So, do your part, be conspicuous (in particular head, shoulders, back, gloves{yes, gloves, watch someone wearing a pair of Hi Viz sometime}, and running lights f/r with driving/fog lights.

But, ride like you're invisible.

Because to some, no matter what we do, we are.

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman

Lucky me.

Thanks for the input! I have been trying to understand what is legal and what exact lights to use in Cali. Is it just the high beam can oscillate and only during the day? And also can the tail light oscillate? I was thinking of also adding some extra stop and turn LED lights on the backs of the bags!

Also do you split lanes often? I am trying to learn the routes with car pool lanes, I found some City covers for the new RT's but it is still a bit big for splitting lanes.

2pcs-Auto-LED-lamp-general-double-color-font-b-auxiliary-b-font-font-b-light-b.jpg

Modulator, personal choice, some like, some, not so much, annoying, your choice.

Daytime only. :thumbsup:

Rear, my .02.

The flashing when stopping is great.

Calls attention to what you are doing, braking.

Flashing when riding down the road, not so much,

Again, IMO.

I find them contraindicated as it may call attention, yes, but doesn't necessarily call attention to when you are braking, and, in fact, I've talked to people who say it confused them and contributed to problems.

YMMV

Hank R1200RT

City lids are great for splitting. Night and day.

RT is not that bad for splitting - follow a motor cop and watch what they do. But there are places where splitting is very difficult due to lane widths when tradfic is very heavy - 101 northbound around Soto Street and the 10 West merge is my personal, uh, favorite.

Where are you riding/commuting?

RT is not that bad for splitting - follow a motor cop and watch what they do. But there are places where splitting is very difficult due to lane widths when tradfic is very heavy - 101 northbound around Soto Street and the 10 West merge is my personal, uh, favorite.

I would be going from Santa Monica to Downtown LA and then to OC once a week but mostly to get out of town to the mountain roads one day during the week on my day off.

I am also thinking about crash bars and need to see if I can squeeze through traffic, the ones on the RT-P stick out a bit and they get through so I think the new RT is narrower than I think.

I didn't put crash bars on my last RT and regretted it, once I hit black ice in a parking lot that just had new blacktop coating sealer stuff and the other time I was getting off and was on just a slight, but not noticeable incline and not paying enough attention when taking the bike off the stand and yakking away, the bike was there one second and gone the next, the assist lever just slipped right out of my gloves and I didn't get enough footing to stop the bike by just holding on to the handlebar, what an ordeal, I could never find anyone to match the red metallic! Lesson learned, crash bars are waaay cheaper than a side panel, head cover, exhaust and lid cover, ouch!! Also the rear crash bar is something to grab while putting the big on and off the center stand.

Yeah I know, the RT is going to look like a Land Rover emergency vehicle when I am done.

121697d1484678796-heed-crash-bars-my-2016rt-20170115_191823.jpg

I had a duh moment and finally looked at the specs, 2017 R1200RT Width (incl. mirrors) 38.7" (983 mm) / 38.8" (985 mm) incl. panniers, so 2mm wider with panniers, looks are deceiving.

Also I came across this video, this guy has to be insane driving like that in Bangkok, lights and sirens or not, Bangkok is by far the worst and most dangerous place on Earth that I have been to, just walking on the sidewalk is dangerous!

Anyway if he can slip through traffic like that I should be fine being rational and cautious when splitting lanes.

Edited by 1934RT