IGNORED

I got my bike vinyl wrapped

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I was somewhat bored with the dull grey color of my 2012 RT. I contemplated paint, but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the dollars to change the color. And I wasn't sure whether a painted bike would be worth less if I ever decide to sell it? And what if I got bored with the new color down the road? So I looked into vinyl wrapping.

Most of you probably know of wrapping by what you see on commercial trucks, but there is a pretty big industry of vehicle wrapping out there. It's a big thing now for cars, even exotic cars. Probably not so much yet for bikes. It turns out that bikes are a lot more difficult to wrap, mailnly because of all of the shapes and compound curves involved. And this is what my installer found out on my bike. His first.

I had used my installer several times for clear bra installations on my cars and trucks. He's meticulous, and everything he has ever done for me has been perfect. So I called him to ask for a reference on who to use for vinyl wraps, not knowing that he was going to tell me that while he didn't advertise wrapping, he had done quite a few cars. He asked me to send him a few pictures of my bike. We conversed a few times after that, and he told me that he wanted to wrap my bike, and quoted me $850, materials and labor. (This was a price that in the end he would regret) He told me what product he liked to use, which was Avery Dennison SW900 wrap, and told me to pick a color. Not knowing that there were 100 colors, in various finishes, I drove myself nuts trying to choose. In the end I chose a Matte Apple Green, and carbon fiber black for some of the flat black trim areas, including the dash, mirror surrounds, etc. A color which, in the end, I'm very happy with. I also wanted to pick a color that hasn't been on a BMW motorcycle in a while. It might not be your cup of tea, but I like it.

My installer had my bike for two weeks, basically because I wasn't in any hurry, and he wanted to have enough time to figure out the curves. Etc. He could also use my bike as fill in, for when he had time between his clear bra jobs. In the end I'm happy with the results. and the wrap is totally removable if I get bored with it. It protects the original paint. And areas can be redone if there is damage to a section. I guess it could be considered an expensive farkle. Although not as expensive as Clearwater Lights! :grin:

Here are a few images of the finished product.

IMG_2015-XL.jpg

IMG_2011-XL.jpg

IMG_2013-XL.jpg

IMG_2012-XL.jpg

IMG_2014-XL.jpg

IMG_2016-XL.jpg

IMG_2017-XL.jpg

IMG_2019-X2.jpg

Doug

Edited by dbaliko

I've known about auto wraps for some time now and hadn't considered it for the bike. This I'm going to have to look into. Nice job bike looks good!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Are they going to put it on the ice at the start of hockey season? Took a moment, but I'm starting to like it.

areyouolsen

First time I've seen a bike wrapped, as well. Seriously want to straight copy yours as I dumped mine at 15 mph when an oncoming passing car decided that getting past that truck was more important than my welfare. Scratched up the saddlebag and front fairing, and your matte green is outstanding!!

Has anyone plastidipped their bike? I want that green in a major way.

Doug_Baliko
First time I've seen a bike wrapped, as well. Seriously want to straight copy yours as I dumped mine at 15 mph when an oncoming passing car decided that getting past that truck was more important than my welfare. Scratched up the saddlebag and front fairing, and your matte green is outstanding!!

Has anyone plastidipped their bike? I want that green in a major way.

Heavy scratches, damage, etc, will show through the vinyl wrap. So you will have to do some filler and sanding to make the areas smooth. But it won't have to be professionally painted as prep. And the installer will make a big difference in the outcome of your wrap job. If you want to see some crappy jobs, just Google bad vinyl wrap jobs.

I have no experience with using plastidip as a paint, so I can't help you there.

Doug

Looks like you even had the BMW logo's modified? No longer traditional blue and white, but now black and green. Different, but its growing on me. Curious how this was accomplished. Looks very OEM like quality. Nice job and good choice of colors. Something different and unique at the same time.

Doug_Baliko
Looks like you even had the BMW logo's modified? No longer traditional blue and white, but now black and green. Different, but its growing on me. Curious how this was accomplished. Looks very OEM like quality. Nice job and good choice of colors. Something different and unique at the same time.

I found a carbon fiber look overlay that comes in a wide variety of color combinations. Basically decals that cover the colored portions of the Roundel. Again, totally reversible.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/292922653/all-carbon-overlay-decal-sticker-for-bmw?ref=market

Doug

tommy carcetti

Nice job and if experience allows your installer to make a profit at under $1k, it's a value as compared to painting or the difference between precut clear film and the custom look you've achieved.

I have a little experience with using Duplicolor spray on film.

Had an extra set of bags for our RT which had some road rash. I filled sanded, primed and was planning on having them painted.

Decided to try spray on film.

Did a test spray on first bag and had some sputtering at the end which I didn't like.

Waited a day and peeled it off. Comes off clean. Did a wipe with paint prep cleaner and was ready to respray.

Pretty happy with the end results.

Took one can per bag.

And so far the finish has held up well to boot scuffs and washing the bugs off.

I really like the way it looks, and I bet the price was a fraction of a new paint job. I'm curious about any special "care and feeding" instructions? It looks like it is either a satin or matte finish - will standard wash chemicals be acceptable?

Again, looks great. Congratulations.

BTW, Dough, that finish is pretty soft, and it occurred to me that you will have to be careful of rubbing issues to the side of the tank, when you ride!

Doug_Baliko

Thanks. You can wash it. And there is a matte finish spray on wrap treatment that I bought as well. I treated the bike over the weekend and it seems to enhance the sheen.

Doug

Doug_Baliko
BTW, Dough, that finish is pretty soft, and it occurred to me that you will have to be careful of rubbing issues to the side of the tank, when you ride!

I just bought a pre-cut matte finish clear bra kit for the bike that I plan on installing on the areas that might get some wear. Specifically the side cases, the side panels and the areas prone to rock hits from the road. It should protect the vinyl wrap, and it's a matte finish, so the look should remain the same. This all works on cars so I don't see why it won't on a bike. But it's all an experiment.

Doug

well if you have been to any UnRally, or START event then you have seen the work of Joel Gross. He is the owner of Sticky Business, which does wrapping of all vehicles. In fact around 12 years ago we took my Son's Ducati 996 to Joel for a small wrap. I thought my seasoned Marine son was going to throw up when Joel's technician got out the blow torch to finish the wrap. Ryan actually had to walk outside. One of the funniest moments of my life. If you want to know anything about wrapping talk to Joel he has been doing this for 35 years and has done it all. If you are at an UnRally or Start etc. and Joel is there check out his bike, I believe his bags are wrapped.

Am glad you picked the green to go with. Looks great, not

many green bikes around and it reminds me of the good old

Zundapp motorcycles that some where green.

Your bike sure looks outstanding, should have no problems finding it at a rally.

I would like to know more about the carbon fiber lookalike

vinyl that you have the mirrors and some more smaller components wrapped in.

Did you do the job yourself with those, and where did you get the vinyl from?

Doug_Baliko

Thank you! I didn't do any of the wrapping myself. The black carbon fiber areas were done by the same installer. It's also an Avery Dennison SW900 Vinyl.

Doug