IGNORED

Sena pair to Autocom

DaveCinNO

As one of the few Autocom users still standing I'm starting to feel left out of some conversations on the road so I'm finally looking into Sena. Actually it was kinda entertaining sitting on the sidelines watching all the pairing threads, and it kept me in the autocom fold all this time.

So, I have an Autocom SP-A and a the BTM-02A bluetooth module which pairs the SP-A with my phone. My question is, why couldn't I add a Sena and pair it with my BTM module. So Autocom would still connect to my bike radio, iPod, V1, GPS and FRs radio, and the Sena would pair with my BTM module and my phone. With a PTT switch for the Autocom and one for the Sena I'd just have to decide which one to push when I talk.

What's wrong with that picture?? Actually sent Autocom an email to see what they say but suspect it will be..."give it a try, we don't support Sena". I sure hate to buy one just to find out it won't work.

Tks,

Let me start by saying I don't have any experience with the autocom. I think that setup could work but it might not be easy. If I understand your intention, you would keep the autocom in your helment and connect the sena the same you would a phone? So in theory it would work this way:

The sena would connect to other sena users on your ride.

You would then, in turn, use the universal intercom feature on the sena to connect to the autocom.

The issue I see with all of this is ease-of-use. You would have to listen to the sena to make sure the connections are made because the audio-prompts wouldn't transmit to the autocom. Once you have verified everything is connected you should be good to go. The only real issue is if for some reason the sena disconnects due to distance or a curve it sometimes won't reconnect.

My problem, even borrowing one is I've never touched one so there's a bit of a learning curve. Might try to find someone with a spare/old one that I can tinker with to first learn on and then test. I was hoping someone had this idea before.

I switched from AutoCom to Sena, before the UnRally.

Mainly because I couldn't get the intercom to function between the rider and passenger without a bunch of static.

To use the the Sena headset (20S Evo or 10S) with your V1 and wired bike radio, you would also need the SM-10 unit.

Your phone would make a direct connection with your Sena head set.

If your have a newer version of a Garmin GPS, it can either be hardwired into the SM-10 or if you are using the Sena 20S headset, you can connect by bluetooth directly to the Sena 20S.

If you need FRS radio or CB, you would have to connect that to a Sena SR-10 unit, which has it's own push-to-talk button. You can also connect your V-1 to the SR-10 unit.

Sena, unfortunately does not let you switch or program priorities. They are setup to have pone connections over ride everything else. So if you get a phone call, you loose the V-1 or your music.

Or if you have your GPS connected as the second phone, it's directions will override anything coming from the V-1.

I have wired my GPS Zumo 590 and my V-1 into a SM-10 and it is connected by bluetooth to the Sena 20S. While my phone is directly connected to the Sena 20S.

This allows me to play music form the Zumo, listen to instructions from the GPS and hear my V-1, even while having a group intercom connection.

It's not perfect, but it is nice not to have any static. :wave:

PS: Forgot to mention, you can connect your earplug speakers direct to the Sena, which really helps with the sound quality and volume.

Edited by Bernie
Lone_RT_rider
My problem, even borrowing one is I've never touched one so there's a bit of a learning curve.

That's the biggest understatement I've seen in a while. Every time I use the thing I have to re-learn commands. Uhg.... it really makes me miss my autocomm.

One of the reasons I bought the stupid thing was the supposed ability for multiple bikes to be able to connect to each other. So I get to START in 2016 and Chris K tells me they have never been able to make that work with more than 2 riders!!! WTH?

I repeat.... it makes me miss my autocomm.

Shawn

FWIW... I had Autocomm on my '05. It worked fine. actually liked it a lot.

Got the '14 - Went to the Sena/Nav 5/Music in the glove box flash-driveset-up. Love it much more.

The pairing dance seemed hard at first then I broke the code. It works every time if I follow the start-up sequence. Bike-Switch On, Sena-Power On, iPhone On-Pair Phone to Nav 5. Easy-Peasy.

Music plays, phone works inbound/outbound, Nav prompts are loud and clear, Intercomm worked when my spouse rides which is not often.

Once paired, it remains paired. All I need to do is use the sequence I mentioned above. Do not have to do the Pairing dance again if I just leave it alone and follow the sequence.

Refer to the "RKA" pairing video on youtube....

I did like Autocomm for the clarity and volume but hated the cable.

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, actually I was shown how to connect to multiple rides at the Un. We had 5 riders hooked up and it worked well.

Thank god... did you have to do a special dance? Pray to the gods? Push down this button, flash that thingy while pair this thing-a-ma-bob? Was there a tribal chant involved?

The buttons aren't labeled and you have to remember multiple combinations of commands to make the damned thing work. Right now I have barely got it to work with pairing my phone to be able to listen to music. And GOD FORBID you forget to charge the damned things.

Shawn

Thanks for the write up, Bernie and the pairing info, Hopz. That still seems like a bit to remember when you want to hop on and ride.

Hmmm, guess Shawn won't be doing any Sena commercials!

The cable doesn't bother me so the autocom probably isn't going away. One question, why would you pair the phone to the nav5 to get to the Sena?

Well, Shawn, during the Un, I was able to pair with 5 headsets and stay paired.

We did have a few times where one headset developed some sort of static type noise, once he rebooted, it paired up again and was clear.

As for the start up of my system, it is automatic. I turn on the SM-10 (plugged connection to the Zumo 590LM and the V-1), then I turn on the Sena 20S. That is it, no other stuff to do.

But remember, I am not pairing to a WetHead BMW. My bike is analog. LOL

The nice thing during the Un was that when my Grandson Tyler got tired of listening to my rubbish, he just disconnected the intercom and found himself some music to listen to. And during the group rides he was letting Bob and Keith know about upcoming road hazards and big trucks. It was a constant back and fort between him and the other two.

But traveling solo it is pretty easy to keep everything working together and in my case it is clearer then the AutoCom system.

FWIW Autocom responded that their BT module doesn't have enough logic to pair with a headset. Guess they consider headset pairing similar to Sena pairing. Strange that it pairs with an iPhone.

Shawn, actually I was shown how to connect to multiple rides at the Un. We had 5 riders hooked up and it worked well.

Thank god... did you have to do a special dance? Pray to the gods? Push down this button, flash that thingy while pair this thing-a-ma-bob? Was there a tribal chant involved?

The buttons aren't labeled and you have to remember multiple combinations of commands to make the damned thing work. Right now I have barely got it to work with pairing my phone to be able to listen to music. And GOD FORBID you forget to charge the damned things.

Shawn

Here's a tip, if you have a smartphone. I downloaded the PDF of the Sena manual and stored it in Dropbox. Using the Dropbox app on my phone, I can access it there, and I can also set it to be stored on the phone so I can access it without a network connection. I have a number of bike-related manuals stored this way.

Good tip, Bill. I have DB and the iphone ap so i'll do that.

For anyone interested, Autocom's two responses:

The BTM-02A does not have the programming necessary to connect to a Bluetooth headset system. Technically what you are looking to do, is possible, in a way. We did have a module called a ‘Wire3A’ which connected onto either the rider or passenger connection of a wired Autocom system, and then paired to a Bluetooth headset. Making this headset act as the headset for the Autocom system. However the overall quality of this setup did not meet the standards we want for customers. It also emplaced restrictions on the operations of the wired and Bluetooth system. Due these reasons and others we discontinued the Wire3A some time ago.

A common misconception that is all Bluetooth is the same and any Bluetooth device can connect to another. In reality it really comes down to the programming. An example of this would be Bluetooth headsets, most are programmed to only connect to the same brand. This is changing recently with some systems with a common protocol for pairing to different brands. Our BTM is designed for the purpose of allowing Sat-Nav’s and Phone to connect to our wired system, and is tailored to this purpose, as such it itself is acting as a headset in a way, but doesn’t need to pair to another headset for its purpose. As mentioned in my previous message, we did have a module, the ‘Wire3A’, for this purpose. But the end result was not satisfactory for continued use at this time.

GreatDaysAhead

Might try getting ahold of Adam at RocketMoto. He is a wizard on Autocom. He has helped me a lot, and I love my Autocom. 603-566-4922