IGNORED

Recall 17V481000 -- Rear Reflectors On a Variety of 2013-2017 Models

marcopolo

I see that the U.S., like Canada earlier, has now issued a formal recall on the issue of rear reflectors. Details below:

"Reflex Reflector Visibility Blocked/FMVSS 108

If the rear reflex reflectors are obscured from view, it can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V481000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 29,281

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2013-2017 R1200GS, F800R and F800GT motorcycles, 2014-2017 R1200GS Adventure motorcycles, 2016-2017 S1000XR motorcycles and 2015-2017 R1200R and R1200RS motorcycles. When equipped with the optional aluminum luggage cases, the rear reflex reflectors may be partially blocked. The aluminum case mounts for the R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure may also partially block the reflectors. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will install reflectors on the cases or for the case mounts, an additional bracket with rear reflex reflectors, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 21, 2017. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

27 Affected Products

5 Associated Documents"

Edited by marcopolo
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up, Mark. I was planning to mount dual horns and this could affect the mounting location I had planned. Guess I'll hold off until I see the details on my RS.

My 2004 RT had reflectors mounted on the panniers from the factory for this very reason. How did BMW forget this lesson?

Clearly someone was asleep at the switch. You'll notice, though, that it really only affects those models where side cases don't come as standard equipment. That's why you don't see bikes like the RT on the list of affected models. When I bought the aluminum BMW bags for my GSA in late 2015 (as "accessories"), there were no red reflectors on them.

My 02R1150RT had side cases as standard equipment (sure I know we all know this :) ), it didn't have reflective side markers on the cases. The bike was equip with reflective side markers but the cases covered them up. I purchased at my expense reflective side marker to replace the OEM. Why wasn't that a recall?

Jay

John Bentall

I am struggling with "If the rear reflex reflectors are obscured from view, it can increase the risk of a crash." If the vehicle is in motion, there should be an illuminated rear bulb to denote its position.

I am trying to imagine the circumstances in which obscured reflectors could increase the probability of a crash. Was there a case where the insurance failed to pay out because of obscured reflectors?

I am struggling with "If the rear reflex reflectors are obscured from view, it can increase the risk of a crash." If the vehicle is in motion, there should be an illuminated rear bulb to denote its position.

I am trying to imagine the circumstances in which obscured reflectors could increase the probability of a crash. Was there a case where the insurance failed to pay out because of obscured reflectors?

A car is stopped at a T-junction, and a bike travels from left, to right, in front of the car. Now whether we agree or not doesn't matter. Regulations covering reflectors exist in both Canada, and the U.S., and both countries have recalls on this.

Edited by marcopolo