IGNORED

Question on Carribean vacation packages

Twinsig

Anyone have recommendations for all inclusive Tropic vacation for two?

Planning a trip for me & GF, probably April-May-June time frame.

And as usual, budget minded here, can't handle those $1k/night packages...wow.

Lone_RT_rider

We spent a week in Punta Cana Dominica Republic in May. Well worth the money, though a bit crowded.

We stayed here.

Shawn

Edited by Lone_RT_rider

Twinsig, have you ever considered a motorcycle tour vacation. We did two of these in the Dominican Republic. These were all inclusive, except liquor and souvenirs. Check out MotoCaribe.com. Great roads, good food, interesting sites.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Spent Christmas '07 with extended family at Moon Palace in Cancun. Had a good time; included some snorkeling, and a field trip to Chichen Itza. Rented a jet-ski, and also had a wild powerboat outing. Not sure of the cost, as my parents footed the bill - but they're budget conscious, so the prices may have been reasonable. Check 'em out.

Lone_RT_rider
Spent Christmas '07 with extended family at Moon Palace in Cancun. Had a good time; included some snorkeling, and a field trip to Chichen Itza. Rented a jet-ski, and also had a wild powerboat outing. Not sure of the cost, as my parents footed the bill - but they're budget conscious, so the prices may have been reasonable. Check 'em out.

Didn't you specifically get certified so you could do some diving on that trip? Or was that another trip? And if so, where did you go. We have a week long diving trip on our short list of "where to vacation next".

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
Didn't you specifically get certified so you could do some diving on that trip? Or was that another trip? And if so, where did you go. We have a week long diving trip on our short list of "where to vacation next".

Scooby dive training/certification was way back in '01 at Key Largo, followed soon after by a week-long dive trip in the Caymans. Didn't do any scooby diving in Cancun in '07, just a little snorkeling (no training/cert required).

Plenty of good diving, resorts, and dive shops in Cayman. If you go, make sure a dive at Stingray City is on your to-do-list:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=4323&filename=ray1.jpg

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=4324&filename=ray2.jpg

Prob stay around the resort, snorkeling would be on the list.

I don't know about any resorts, because we always do cruises. But here's what I can tell you about the western Caribbean:

In general, no resort is going to have decent snorkeling at the resort beach. There are exceptions. If a resort doesn't have good snorkeling at their beach, they'll offer excursions to somewhere close that does.

The biggie: safety. The US state department has basically declared all of Mexico unsafe. Take that for what it is worth - Cozumel, Cancun, and Cabo San Lucas are all still popular vacation spots.

If that doesn't scare you away, I love Cozumel. I've done snorkeling, snooba, and scuba there, and it was very good. I've never felt unsafe (but I tend to mind my surroundings when out and about). I personally would not hesitate to spend a week there at a resort. They drive on the right side of the road. Makes renting mopeds and cruising around easy. Private beach spots range from family friendly to frat parties complete with topless women. Chankanaab park and Punta Sur park are beautiful.

If safety is a concern, have a look at Grand Cayman or Punta Cana.

I've been to Grand Cayman several times, and I always hit cemetery beach. Absolutely beautiful stretch of beach, and the best snorkeling I've ever done. There's another spot right in the middle of town where the cruise boats disembark that is supposed to be awesome snorkeling as well. Being a former British colony, they drive on the left, which makes renting mopeds and cruising, um, interesting.

I've not cared much for Jamaica, but I haven't seen much of it. On the other hand, I did go to Sunset Resort for a day, and their beach was one of the best touristy beaches I've ever hit, and the snorkeling right off the beach was pretty good as well. The resort itself looked a bit iffy - I'm not sure I'd want to spend a week there. Food looked ho hum, and the drinks were pretty shabby.

You might want to consider a cruise. We've done several in the western Caribbean, and we've loved them all. If you can live with a small amount of alcohol and pop while on the boat, cruises are relatively cheap.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

You also may want to have a look at a web site called "cruise critic". There is a very active forum there, and there are threads on all of the popular spots in the Caribbean.