IGNORED

Airlines and Motorcycle Gear Bags

Anyone have experience flying airlines and gear bags that may be slightly oversized? Leaving for Europe for some riding Thursday and was packing my gear bag over the weekend when a zipper gave out. Found one through Amazon Prime and had it Monday and things were great, as it was larger than the one I had previously, so things fit even better. However, upon review of weight limits with the airline (Delta) I found out there is also a size limitation. Length x width x height = 62 inches. Mine is 67 inches.

Looking online for another bag I find almost all motorcycle gear bags are at least 65 inches, or they are smaller by quite a bit and won’t fit all the gear the both of us need to take. There are fees attached to oversize bags, and on an international flight it’s $300, YIKES! So, my luck I’ll get the one ticket agent that won’t bend on the rules (happened one other time with a bag that was like 3 pounds over that cost me $100) and I’ll get smacked with the fee.

So, anyone have any experience? Airlines usually lenient on size, just more worried about weight?

Thanks

Edited by Inlaw1

Note: Took out some funny (non-ascii) apostrophes to fix missing post. Too bad it's too late to help. :( Thanks to mnTwin for editing software, Notepad++ (see "Text Disappearing" in Discussion Board Support).

Anyone have experience flying airlines and gear bags that may be slightly oversized? Leaving for Europe for some riding Thursday and was packing my gear bag over the weekend when a zipper gave out. Found one through Amazon Prime and had it Monday and things were great, as it was larger than the one I had previously, so things fit even better. However, upon review of weight limits with the airline (Delta) I found out there is also a size limitation. Length x width x height = 62 inches. Mine is 67 inches.

Looking online for another bag I find almost all motorcycle gear bags are at least 65 inches, or they are smaller by quite a bit and won't fit all the gear the both of us need to take. There are fees attached to oversize bags, and on an international flight it's $300, YIKES! So, my luck I'll get the one ticket agent that won't bend on the rules (happened one other time with a bag that was like 3 pounds over that cost me $100) and I'll get smacked with the fee.

So, anyone have any experience? Airlines usually lenient on size, just more worried about weight?

Thanks

Edited by TheOtherLee

Get two smaller gear bags,rather than trying to slip by with one oversize bag.

In my experience,they are not very lenient and readily willing to tack on extra fees at any opportunity!

JR356