IGNORED

12k Service - r1200rtw - drain oil first, or after Valve Check??

paRTy

Getting ready to an oil change and valve check on a R1200RTW.

Do you drain the oil first, then do valve check? Or, do the valve check first, close everything up when done, then do oil change?

Does it matter either way? I know the engine needs to be cold for a valve check. Am I wrong to think valve check first, then oil change?

Appreciate the help.

Really don't think it matters other than valve check needs to be done cold and most prefer to do oil when it's warm so any particles are floating and get drained. So seems like easiest is valve check first cold the warm up for oil. But you could certainly do in reverse and just wait for engine to cool down.

Has never been an issue for me since I do all the fluids and have my dealer do the valve check and TB synch.

Really don't think it matters other than valve check needs to be done cold and most prefer to do oil when it's warm so any particles are floating and get drained. So seems like easiest is valve check first cold the warm up for oil. But you could certainly do in reverse and just wait for engine to cool down.

Has never been an issue for me since I do all the fluids and have my dealer do the valve check and TB synch.

+1

From a guy that did a stint working in a shop the only difference is time saved. Do all work that needs a cool motor first like a valve adjustment and any other work on or near any parts that would burn you with a warm motor. Next is all the warm motor stuff, carb/TB synch, compression tests etc. Last is the oil change as the motor & oil is already warm and you get a more complete drain with any crap suspended in the oil. Reverse that order and you have to add a cool down delay. No spinning wrenches = no cash!

If you are doing it, ride it, park it drain oil, overnight.

Will have complete oil drain and cold engine to proceed with other work.

As noted, it doesn't matter which one you do first. I tend to do the oil change first, with hot engine, and leave the oil to drain for the time that it takes for the engine to cool down, which can be very long time, but there will be very little old oil left inside! I also remove the valve covers while the oil is draining, and let the oil in there drain as well. You will be surprised as to how much oil is in there, and if I recalled correctly, more oil in the right side vs the left. Note that I am talking about my wethead.

Thanks all for the replies. Always appreciate the info given here.

I actually changed the air filter first (boy, who designed that procedure???), then checked valves while cold - all were in spec & and it was actually fun doing it and learning my way around). Next time will take 1/2 the time.

Then changed oil & filter.

Everything went well and it seems to be running like a top.

Thanks also to JVB for his DVD and clear explanations.

There's no rule that you have to do them all at once, either: you can space it out by grouping tasks by area of the bike, whether it should be hot and how messy you want to get. That way you don't have to set aside half a day at once, just a spare hour here and there. When I did my 30K I just did it an hour at a time over a period of a couple of weeks and still rode the bike in between.

So one day do the throttle body and air cleaner, since you're working on the same area of the bike and might have to pull off the same plastics for both; Another day oil, FD and spline lube etc., and another day service the valves and spark plugs.

Good point about valve covers during an oil change, I'll have to remember that. Also I'm pretty sure you want to do the valves before the TB sync rather than after.