IGNORED

Fall Torrey 2017

Bill_Walker

I know FB has a "Spring and Fall" thread going, but I think perhaps Fall Torrey merits its own thread. Is anybody going? It's looking like I'll be able to go this year, for the first time in a while, but the guy I talked to at the Chuckwagon says they're booked up, they're not keeping a waiting list, and based on who's booked, he doesn't expect any cancellations. In fact, rooms are scarce all over town. I found a couple of places with rooms for Friday night, but not Thursday or Saturday. The one exception is the Capitol Reef Resort, way the hell out of town toward the park and $239/night. So, maybe I'm not going to Torrey!

At the time that I called a while ago I was told that I was first on the waiting list. But so far no call with an opening. I guess that this won't be the year that I go to my first Torrey.

Doug

I'm IN for fall Torrey.

I've never heard of a guy answering the phones or taking reservations there. I'd try calling back and asking for Michelle. She pretty much runs the show when it comes to the reservations there and the one who usually has the waiting list going for us. There's usually some kind of last minute cancellation by someone so it can't hurt to call and ask her to be added to her list if she still keeps one.

Bill

There will be cancellations. So don't give up yet.

It may be that who you talked to didn't know about the waiting list.

Sometimes when there is a cancellation, they don't get a chance to call anyone, as someone else takes the room. So you can't really just wait for a call.

I was over there yesterday and the weather was great, as it probably will be next month.

And Doug, if you haven't been over there, you need to go. It was looking more scenic and beautiful than ever yesterday.

dc

Yeah, I was surprised not to get Michelle. I don't recall what the guy said his name was, but it wasn't anybody I recognized. I'll try again tomorrow. But all the places I've made back-up reservations in years past are full, too, and that doesn't bode well.

Just called. Got the machine again. I don't know what times they're actually in the office, but it's not any of the times I've called.

Bill

That guy identified his name as Bill.

Michelle is still working there. She was there a couple hours ago.

You just need to call at the right moment when she is at the desk and answering.

dc

So, with a little help from a phone call by someone who shall remain anonymous but whose initials are FB, I'm #5 on the waiting list. But they don't think it's all that likely I'll get a room. I'm going to call some other places in town and see if they're willing to take a waiting list.

I've been in contact with Michelle at the Chuckwagon. She says they're booked up and, while there's a waiting list, she says the people who are already registered are mostly regular Torrey/BMWST event visitors and probably not very likely to cancel. She's checked around a little and yes, most everything else is also booked. However, in the town of Lyman, just 10 miles away on the same Hwy 24 that runs through Torrey, are the Mill Cabins. Here's the email she sent me regarding this:

Good morning,

I have made quite a few calls and it doesn't look like there are very

many options in Torrey for rooms.

I did however, check with The Mill Cabins in Lyman and they have a few

cabins at $65.00 plus tax, 1-lodge room at $70.00 plus tax for the

nights of 09/21-23rd (3 N's), departing on 09/24th.

Their website is themillcabins.com or the phone number for Bruce is

(435) 491-0426.

I will keep looking and let you know if something comes up.

Have a great day,

Michelle

Austins Chuckwagon Motel

If anyone is interested, give The Mill Cabins a call. They're going fast.

We have been IN for a year. Michelle last fall warned that Torrey is becoming very popular and reservations a year out are almost too late. This goes for both fall and spring Torrey.

If it hasn't already happened by now, I guess that nothing will be opening up. I guess that I'm going back to my alternate plan of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. The Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Highway are nice consolation prizes. I'll make reservations early for next years fall Torrey.

Doug

Michelle just called. She had a few cancellations. I took a room arriving Wednesday departing Saturday. I'm glad that I'll finally get to meet some members and put faces with names.

Doug

Supposedly the weather gurus are calling for the first good rain/snow event up here in Big Sky Country toward the end of this week...

Weather has been quite miserable with all the fires and smoke this summer....I guess it wouldn't be too much to ask for it to stay the course for another couple of weeks???

:java::java::dontknow:

I got a call from Michelle, and I've now got a cabin for Friday and Saturday. The second bedroom is available if somebody wants it. PM me. I'm in France right now and not getting on the board much.

Out. :(

The good news is that someone on the waiting list now has a room at the Chuckwagon if they want it.... Y'all be safe and have a good time.

Hope to see you at the UN.....

I've now got a room for Thursday, but got moved out of the cabin to a double queen room for Friday and Saturday. Looks like I have a roomie.

I've now got a room for Thursday, but got moved out of the cabin to a double queen room for Friday and Saturday. Looks like I have a roomie.

Yer Welcome......

Fall Torrey for me turned very iffy this evening. I had reservations at the Chuckwagon for Spring Torrey this year and canceled when my wife's total knee replacement and recovery was scheduled on top of Torrey. So, I got a FallTorrey reservation. Tonight coming home from a trip with some of her art museum friends my wife fell in the airport on the operative knee. Really skinned up and bruised, not to mention painful. Have to get her to the surgeon's office for a better look in the morning. I have some health issues too that are popping up. CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia ) for which I was treated 3-1/2 years ago seems to be on the rebound and will need treatment of some sort, maybe soon. Maybe I'll see tomorrow.

Leaving in a bit, will see you all mid-day Thursday.

Hey Ron,

I'll be a few hours after you arrive but at this point don't know what I'll be riding but I WILL be there! Looking forward to seeing you and all the other perps in a few days!!

By the way, this will be the first vacation I've had all year.....

We had been planning to squeeze in somehow, but due to the Chetco Bar Fire, which came within a few miles of us and caused considerable disruption, we've decided to stay put.

We definitely need a Co Plateau fix soon.