IGNORED

Protective film for side cases?

Oldironken

I thought i saw a thread a while back that someone here on the forum was selling a clear protective film for the Wet Head side cases. I have searched and search without any luck.

Does such a thing exist?

Tankslapper.biz

http://thetankslapper.biz/r1200rt-4-piece-side-case-protection-kit/

I have the Scotchguard gloss on mine. I have a full kit professionally installed on my bike. The wife's RT I installed just the bag protection you mentioned. Had to use the alcohol/water/soap method to install it.

It's not a real simple job. Takes a lot of patience. Put the lower one on first, then the top. But I had to start, align, re-peal and water a lot to get it to line up. Top one was easier to put on since it doesn't have the curves.

EffBee said he was thinking about it (last year ?) - I've queried him a couple of times but not received any response.

That's odd. He was installing kits at the Un in red lodge last year. I'll see if I can dig up the info.

edit to add:

Fernando's product is (was to be?) called ScuffBlocker -

Here's his post thread about it:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=979149&page=1

the website is still not up though, so who knows...

Edited by szurszewski
That's odd. He was installing kits at the Un in red lodge last year. I'll see if I can dig up the info.

edit to add:

Fernando's product is (was to be?) called ScuffBlocker -

Here's his post thread about it:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=979149&page=1

the website is still not up though, so who knows...

I think he's still working out the logistics of getting everything up for mass consumption. He installed a set on my FJR a few months ago and explained some of the behind the scenes stuff he's setting up to simplify things for the end user installation. I'm happy with mine. Can't hurt to PM him and see where he's at with it. Edited by BrianT

I tried fitting some protective tape a few months ago after a respray and failed miserably! The curves beat me and I ended up throwing it away in frustration.... it is trickier than you would think but maybe bespoke pre-cut panels would be easier!

I tried fitting some protective tape a few months ago after a respray and failed miserably! The curves beat me and I ended up throwing it away in frustration.... it is trickier than you would think but maybe bespoke pre-cut panels would be easier!

At one point a large portion of the "behind the scenes" stuff mentioned by BrianT was a set of videos to help us DIY people do a good job. That combined with the proper material and tools should be a big help. A PM to FB might get you a good result.

I too have been defeated by compound curves when trying to apply vinyl film!

Edited by szurszewski

I just had my 2013 side cases covered with 3M film.

Local guy was able to cover top and front of painted

lid with one piece. I will see how this holds up. I also had him install Fernanado's reflector kit at the same time. $100.00 which was much better than the $300 quote from another place. It pays to shop around.

I used the tankslapper kit for my saddle bags, tank, front fender, headlight and front cowling.

Takes patience to do this project correctly. But it can be done.

once on you can hardly tell it is there.

I have the Tankslapper kit - the whole deluxe thing. I had a pro do the install - best money I ever spent. I imagine untold hours of frustration trying to do it myself, and when the pro was done, it was absolutely invisible.

-MKL

I talked to a buddy in Minneapolis today who is buying a new Mercedes and said he would not own a car without the 3M Clear Bra. Just not sure how to find a local installer for Tankslapper?

Ask your local dealer. It's a fairly common option and they subcontract it to someone, unless they have a pro on staff already (unlikely.) Go where they tell you. If that fails, call car window tint shops in the area - they usually offer that service.

-MKL