IGNORED

Brake Failure Light

gmarktbone

Greetings-here goes.

I have an 02 1150RT with 67K miles. It is blue. When I got on the bike this afternoon, the "brake failure" light started blinking fast (4 or more times per second), then it started blinking in an alternating pattern with the "achtung!" light at approximately 1 time per second. The brake fluid was changed about 1000 miles ago at the 66K svc. I tried turning the bike off and restarting it twice. I even tried getting off the bike for 5-10 minutes and restarting. It is still persisting. The battery is about 3.5 years old. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Greetings-here goes.

I have an 02 1150RT with 67K miles. It is blue. When I got on the bike this afternoon, the "brake failure" light started blinking fast (4 or more times per second), then it started blinking in an alternating pattern with the "achtung!" light at approximately 1 time per second. The brake fluid was changed about 1000 miles ago at the 66K svc. I tried turning the bike off and restarting it twice. I even tried getting off the bike for 5-10 minutes and restarting. It is still persisting. The battery is about 3.5 years old. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Afternoon Mark

That sort of points to one of the ABS controller (under fuel tank) reservoirs being low on fluid.

At least a good place to start looking.

General warning light & ABS warning light flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in integral ABS (under gas tank) too low___ Or a low-voltage condition.

Thanks DR. Is this something where I can just add more Dot4 at the handlebar?

Morning gmarktbone

NO, if the problem is a low controller reservoir then those are under the fuel tank (tank must be removed to access).

If you (or someone) does find a low reservoir then the reason WHY it is low should also be determined. (might be a leak somewhere).

Morning gmarktbone

NO, if the problem is a low controller reservoir then those are under the fuel tank (tank must be removed to access).

If you (or someone) does find a low reservoir then the reason WHY it is low should also be determined. (might be a leak somewhere).

If the brake pads are worn down, wouldn't that result in a low fluid level at the ABS reservoir?

Edit: Rereading the original post and the question about the handlebar reservoir makes me question if the brake fluid change was done correctly. Did gmark... change fluid from the master cylinder to the ABS and then separately change the wheel circuit from the ABS to the caliper?

Edited by Michaelr11

Morning gmarktbone

If the brake pads are worn down, wouldn't that result in a low fluid level at the ABS reservoir?

Edit: Rereading the original post and the question about the handlebar reservoir makes me question if the brake fluid change was done correctly. Did gmark... change fluid from the master cylinder to the ABS and then separately change the wheel circuit from the ABS to the caliper?

Afternoon Michaelr11

No, brake pad wear will result in a lower fluid level in the ABS controller reservoirs but shouldn't lower it enough to put the warning lights on if the pads were properly shimmed & the reservoirs properly re-filled at the brake service 1k ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Brake fluid was changed by a trusted mechanic that does the brake fluid change procedure recommended by BMW. I would like to learn this so I can save some bread for the next service in 10k miles, though. It is at the shop, and according to them, they think I have a brake line with a leak somewhere between the ABS module and the wheel circuits. That would explain why the master cylinder at the handlebar is ok and the ABS unit is not. Maybe. More to come. Now to figure out the oil leak on my KLR....

• 6 months later...
OldBMWMaster

Mark.

Give me a call. I want to buy your PIAA lights and cannot get a message through to you..910-262-2843