IGNORED

Does 2018 1200RT look funny?

Pointwithinacircle

Pointwithinacircle

To be honest, I was waiting for a red 1200RT wet-head. Apparently in 2018 it will be available in red, but is it funny looking? The photos I have seen look odd somehow. Has anyone seen this cycle in person? Is the fairing a different shape? The only photos I have seen show the top of the fairing in black, which may be throwing off my perception. I just think it looks like an adventure bike instead of a touring bike. Did they intend to do this? Maybe it's me, but none of the photos I have seen have convinced me the 2018 looks good.

To me the white one is visually more pleasing with the upper fairing also white. It also does without the gray accent pieces on the fairing and bag sides that kind of clutter the red one.

normal_36.jpg

To be honest, I was waiting for a red 1200RT wet-head. Apparently in 2018 it will be available in red, but is it funny looking? The photos I have seen look odd somehow. Has anyone seen this cycle in person? Is the fairing a different shape?

All the pictures I've seen of the red RT include the shorter "sport" windshield. I'm not sure the color is available with a standard shield. You might experiment with the BMW "build my bike" site. Or ask a dealer.

To me the white one is visually more pleasing with the upper fairing also white. It also does without the gray accent pieces on the fairing and bag sides that kind of clutter the red one.

normal_36.jpg

It is surprisingly attractive for white.

normal_36.jpg

That screams police motors if you ask me. :eek:

MB>

normal_36.jpg

I agree about the upper fairing portion and the graphics. Those 2 styling items are what turned me off on the San Marino Blue when I bought my 2016. I like the white and also the bronze (if buying a 2017)

To be honest, I was waiting for a red 1200RT wet-head. Apparently in 2018 it will be available in red, but is it funny looking? The photos I have seen look odd somehow. Has anyone seen this cycle in person? Is the fairing a different shape? The only photos I have seen show the top of the fairing in black, which may be throwing off my perception. I just think it looks like an adventure bike instead of a touring bike. Did they intend to do this? Maybe it's me, but none of the photos I have seen have convinced me the 2018 looks good.

If I remember correctly a few years ago they (BMW) had the same paint scheme ( blue color ? ) I didn't like it then and I don't like it on the 18RT either, I think it just looks dumb ( my opinion ) and wouldn't buy it the way it's painted . Everything is the same as the 14RT body wise it just doesn't look the same.

normal_36.jpg

That screams police motors if you ask me. :eek:

MB>

And the downside is?? :grin:

Well, it looks to be a CHP bike, though I don't think they're riding them.

Moreover, when riding such a look alike, drivers on freeways around here will automatically drop their speed appreciably in front of you. Sometime it's drastic. :eek:

I like it even though I wasn't a fan of the blue. Makes the front look less bulky. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think just you. I say order it and stop worrying about it. If it ends up bugging you, paint it. In the scope how much these bike sales for it is really a drop in the bucket.

Surprised by the new RT look. So much so, I went into the garage to study the lines on my 2016 RS. Looks to be thee has been some cross breeding at the factory as some of the fairing lines look very similar........

I don't think that they've changed the shape, only the paint scheme. I personally prefer a more cohesive paint scheme. The carbon and white models seem more appealing to me.

Morning Pointwithinacircle

Not just the 2018 but all the 1200RT's look funny as there is no continuity in the body panel lines (looks like they went through the scrap pile & kept bolting on odds & ends until they had everything covered)-- No flow to the body lines/

Some color combination's look worse & some look better depending on how the colors & decal cuts hide the mismatched body lines.

Wow, what a question. Looks, appeal and desirability are sooo subjective unique to the viewer. As an example, i think i'm quite handsome, and desirable. My wife and friends dont use the same adjectives. They substitute hopelessly and delusional. Go figure. With that being said, yes, it is funny looking

I saw for the first time the Mars red 18RT at my dealer yesterday and have to say I really like the color, the pictures in the magazines don't do it justice. However I still don't like the paint scheme but my dealer says the upper part of the faring that is black can be painted red to match the rest of the bike like my 14RT.

Do you mean funny-hilarious

or

funny-strange

or

funny-dangerous?

the photo shows the new black-finish engine ...

This sounds like a Joe Pesci line in a movie... :rofl:

MB>

• 1 month later...
Lone_RT_rider

normal_36.jpg

We've been trying to get a picture of Bernie atop his gorgeous new while RT, but nobody can seem to get close enough!

:bike::jaw:

normal_36.jpg

We've been trying to get a picture of Bernie atop his gorgeous new while RT, but nobody can seem to get close enough!

Lol, very funny, Shawn. The first 500 miles have been a eye opener. Much better handling in the curves/sweepers, but after all this Florida. The bike feels more planted then the 2007.

Don't test ride one unless you are willing to buy it, because it will give you a headache or “wallet-ache”. :rofl:

I am still not sure if it is motorcycle with a radio or a hybird radio with a gasoline powered generator on wheels. :S

There sure is a lot electrical stuff going on here.

PM: Bill Wood (Highway41) recorded some video the other day of some White-HiViz streak riding away from him. I have not seen the results yet.

Just ordered a Blue Planet R1200RT, not that is the color to have, blue!!

Got a picture anywhere? The BMW web site only shows red, white and black as color choices. But yeah, blue is the color to have! I'm on my second blue RT.

I was more fond of the previous models with more rounded lines as to me the 2014+ RTs looks like they took styling cues from the Star Wars X-Wing fighter. For 2018 the red it looks like all body panels are the same as previous wet heads, but I like the red on black color scheme including the dark wheels. I saw a red '18 last week at the dealer last week and liked even more in person. To me the red on black color scheme seems to soften the choppiness of the new body style.

If the red was a choice in 2015 I would have taken it over the San Marino Blue. The graphics on the red RT, while still a bit much for my preference are better than the graphics on San Marino Blue, which for me is over the top. That said, I was just so over the ad nauseam variants of grey RTs over the last few years that the SM Blue was the only choice for me at the time. Now the Blue Planet is really, really, nice and I wish my San Marino Blue had the same simple pin stripe graphics as IMHO is a very classy look.

normal_36.jpg

Lol, very funny, Shawn. The first 500 miles have been a eye opener. Much better handling in the curves/sweepers, but after all this Florida. The bike feels more planted then the 2007.

Don't test ride one unless you are willing to buy it, because it will give you a headache or “wallet-ache”. :rofl:

I am still not sure if it is motorcycle with a radio or a hybird radio with a gasoline powered generator on wheels. :S

There sure is a lot electrical stuff going on here.

PM: Bill Wood (Highway41) recorded some video the other day of some White-HiViz streak riding away from him. I have not seen the results yet.

Shawn, the view from chasing is much the same as with Double Silver, just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Can't really tell the color from behind, mostly black/dark. Is weird to see the muffler on the wrong side.

Of the 2018s, I like Blue Planet best but think it would look great without the pinstripes, which IMO don't work well on the busy RT body. Or maybe with a pinstripe color more subtle than white, like a silvery gray-blue. My 2c. Platinum Bronze is still best. :)

VERY nice! I wonder why it's not shown on the Motorrad site?

It's about ten grand more than I paid last May 31 for my 2015 San Marino Blue RT with 8015 miles on it, though. Depreciation is steep on these! Awesome bikes despite that.

It's hard to tell but it appears that the tank cowling that includes the radiator air scoops is also painted blue instead of standard black or gray as on all other RTWs.

5a0567d02e14f628e15a16f4.jpg

I assume it's not on their website because it's not a standard colour. I think it's part of their "Spezial" customization program, that they introduced in the summer. See here: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0272406EN/bmw-motorrad-presents-bmw-motorrad-spezial-the-bmw-motorrad-individualisation-drive?language=en

I assume it's not on their website because it's not a standard colour. I think it's part of their "Spezial" customization program, that they introduced in the summer. See here: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0272406EN/bmw-motorrad-presents-bmw-motorrad-spezial-the-bmw-motorrad-individualisation-drive?language=en

From the above link: "Highest-grade materials, genuine surfaces, skilled craftsmanship and the love of detail are what define BMW Motorrad Spezial as well as the harmonious integration of all parts into the overall design of the motorcycle."

I love me some genuine surfaces! :)

I looked at the new red one in person. Not sure about that red & personally I didn't care for the graphite dark gray trim pieces with it. Bike had kind of a dull, monochrome presence. No visual pop, which I like. In fairness, didn't see it in the sun light, which may bring it to life.

BMW really needs to up its game for the RT colors schemes. Boring IMHO....

..... Did they intend to do this? Maybe it's me, but none of the photos I have seen have convinced me the 2018 looks good.

Perhaps we'll be graced with some photos of The Bernie from the lunch gathering today. . . . if they can pause him long to enough to snap a picture.

2018 RT in hiding at it's home away from home, Starbucks.

0khSBIv.jpg

And here is a 2018 RT out in the wild.

luQUl0S.jpg

By the way, while you are riding it, you can't see all the pretty or ugly features.

Just saying.

Looks great Bernie!! Uhh . . . is that your cpap machine tube?!? :rofl:

Ok, Okay. I said out loud - 'Oh that's his hydrate tube' and the ever quick witted Mrs WTA said " I thought it was his CPAP machine breathing tube! :

And NO! I don't have a CPAP. . . . . as of this writing.