IGNORED

handle bar play

jeff852

I hope somebody can help. I have excessive up and down play in the handlebars of my 06 1200RT. It's not the steering stem bearing, it's something else. Help!

I hope somebody can help. I have excessive up and down play in the handlebars of my 06 1200RT. It's not the steering stem bearing, it's something else. Help!

Afternoon jeff852

This is tough one to help with without a LOT more information from you.

If the steering stem bearings are tight then everything above that is firmly fastened together so either something has come loose (like a handlebar attaching bolt) or ????? is loose.

What part of the handlebar is moving? How far is it moving? Does it move the same in every direction? What location on the bar does it seem to be moving or pivoting at?

The inner fork tubes are moving up and down about 1/4". Don't know if that's the proper word for them as it doesn't have a conventional front end, but that's what they look like.

The inner fork tubes are moving up and down about 1/4". Don't know if that's the proper word for them as it doesn't have a conventional front end, but that's what they look like.

Afternoon jeff852

We still need a LOT more information on what is happening. You first say handlebars now you are talking fork tubes.

The only way we have of knowing what is actually happening is what you post here as we can't see or feel what is happening over the internet.

How are you moving the fork tubes (or whatever is moving)?????????????

You say it is moving 1/4"?-- Moving 1/4" in relation to what???????

If it is the fork tubes moving can you see the fork tube upper end hex moving in relation to the triple tree?

The fork tubes are moving vertically with the top triple clamp when I move the bars up and down. Seems quite sloppy.

Afternoon jeff852

The bars shouldn't move up & down. Where (at what point of attachment) are they moving?????

They are solidly attached to the triple clamp..The tubes move with the clamp and bars. There might be some play between inner and outer tubes but its hard to tell without an assistant. The fork seals are original and have never leaked.

Evening jeff852

They are solidly attached to the triple clamp--So where are the bars moving?

The tubes move with the clamp and bars. --The inner fork tubes are supposed to move with the bars (not sure what clamp you are talking about)

There might be some play between inner and outer tubes but its hard to tell without an assistant.--There shouldn't be much play between the inner & outer tubes but they do need enough clearance to slide freely.

The fork seals are original and have never leaked.--That is good news.

You still haven't told us EXACTLY what is moving in relation to what. Or put another way-- WHAT is moving in relation to what is not moving?

I can guess at it but without you telling us EXACTLY what is moving in relation to what isn't moving, and telling us how you are moving it, then we can't give you an informed answer.

• 1 month later...