IGNORED

Techron question

joeb

I know much has been said about injectors , o2 sensors in other links, so i will limit my question to fuel additives only.

Does running a lot of injector cleaner affect the octane of fuel ? Will an engine be more prone to ping untill the additive is finally replaced with the proper fuel ? Thanks.

I know much has been said about injectors , o2 sensors in other links, so i will limit my question to fuel additives only.

Does running a lot of injector cleaner affect the octane of fuel ? Will an engine be more prone to ping untill the additive is finally replaced with the proper fuel ? Thanks.

Morning joeb

You need to define A LOT?

Normal amounts of Techron (per label directions) shouldn't effect the fuel octane rating enough to be detectable.

Adding A LOT of anything could have some effect on the fuels anti-knock ability.

Should have seen that question coming. I probably have twice the recommended amount. Im running the fuel down now so i should have my own question answered shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

In my last tank of fuel before winter storage I've run up to twice the recommended amount of Techron through a full tank to clean up things. No effect on octane or anti knocking.

Once that tank was run through I then changed oil and filter.

I then filled with non ethanol and 'Stabil ' fuel conditioner for the winter layup.

This has worked for me over the last 20 some years.

Just curious, why do people often change the oil and filter after they run techron through the system?

Since products like Techron are designed to remove deposits, then those deposits should end up suspended in the oil and collected by the filter. So timing a treatment just before a scheduled oil & filter change is a good practice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of the byproducts of combustion get discharged through the exhaust, not into the oil?

Just curious, why do people often change the oil and filter after they run techron through the system?

Morning McDuugle

They probably do it because at one time they used a product that required the oil change (like Yamaha top end cleaner).

A heavy duty top end cleaner will leave a heavy oil like product on the piston top, cylinder head, & cylinder walls as well as release (soft) carbon deposits from the ring area. A lot of that heavy duty top end cleaner doesn't burn & go out with the exhaust.

The top end product as well as some of the carbon then works it's way past the piston rings then into the crankcase so the product directions usually strongly advise to change the oil & filter (if the engine has one).

Techron is more of a fuel system & injector cleaner so it goes in metered with the fuel & burns fairly completely in the combustion process. (some everyday pump gasoline contains Techron & people don't do an oil change after very fill up.

When in doubt just read the directions the container.