IGNORED

Af-xied COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS

joeb

First a few comments on yesterdays af-xied install on my 03 1150rt.

Easy install.

Now that i have a few miles on it, WOW, what a difference on engine smoothness and especially throttle response. Most noticable while blipping throttle during downshifts. No more slow response.

Don't notice any appreciable surging either.

Using setting 7.

Questuions.....

Saw on other links that one should run a few tanks of gas to let system stabilize. Is this so ? How fast does a settimg change effect the fuel delivery ? For example.. If i can't get premium fuel, will changing the settimg from lets say 7 to 9 immediately increase mixture ?

Also, noticed my idle rpm increased 400 rpm. Normal idle is usually around 1100. Is this a normal side effect or did i displace a throttle cable slightly while putting tank back in place ? As alwsys thanks for your input.

Joeb,

I noticed an immediate improvement, also, on both my oilheads. It may take a few tanks thru it to get the last little bit of performance, that's what roger04 rt said and he would know.

I did not notice any RPM increase. Best check the cables.

When I finally got my bike running right, I didn't have an increase in RPM. Like Lowndes says, check that you haven't dislodged the throttle cable on one of the throttle bodies, the metal end likes to sometimes catch on the bracket where they seat.

Hi Joe,

Idle sometimes increases 75-100 rpm due to the richer mixture. More than that, as others have said, may be due to pressure on your throttle cable.

As I mentioned in your other thread part of the improvement occurs quickly (the short term trims in mid throttle and below area) and part takes longer (half throttle and above) due to the time it takes for the long term trims to develop.

I wouldn't suggest richening the mixture to cover lower octane fuel. It may not work at all and it takes a while for long term trims to be developed for the wider throttle angles where knock is a problem.

Just installed af-xied on 1150rt. Setting 7. Seems more responsive , however outside air temps are much cooler then before install so not sure how much of the improvement is attributable to the af-xied. I did notice that under load and full throttle i still got some ping. Didnt expect that, especially with cooler temps. Will try a few tanks of fuel then change settings if no improvement.

It will take several tanks of fuel before the long term fuel trims have been fully populated for the high load portion of the fuel map. That said you should already notice improvements to steady throttle and roll-on acceleration.

I also just installed the af xied. ! It was my birthday present from my wife. Just back from a test ride, and what an improvement. R1150rt, could never get it to idle except at 1500-1600 rpm. Any lower and it would stumble and cough and sometimes just die. I have installed new throttle bodies, new injectors, done numerous throttle synchronization, tps adjustment, idle adjustments, all to no avail. After installing the afxied the bike started right up and within a couple minutes was idling comfortably at 1000rpm. After a quick 80mph run for 20 miles on the freeway and a spirited ride back on some twisters I am very impressed with the improved throttle response and smooth running. I can't wait to see how it's doing after a couple tanks of gas run through.

Shane,

Glad that you saw a real improvement with the AFXIED. Have you evaluated your stick coils? They could be at the root of your poor idling.

"Dope slap"

I thought I had. But I just tested again by pulling the connections one at a time. Wouldn't you know it, the right side makes no difference if it is connected or not. So, do I really have to replace them in pairs?

You don't have to buy two (Beemerboneyard) but I'd recommend you do since it's hard to tell the condition of the other coil. Others may disagree and you won't be wrong to buy just one.