IGNORED

Congrats to me & greetings.

Bimmer-Biker

Bimmer-Biker

Just bought my 1st BMW motorcycle a 2004 R1150RT. I have been an avid BMW car enthusiast/owner for years, as well motorcycle rider on rice burners. After years of casting longing looks at the bimmers on the road, I finally found the deal and bike that got me to open my wallet and also sell my Honda.

Took me a couple of days get used to the feel of the sideways motor, but I absolutely love the feel and overall ride of the bike. Couple of quirks, I am pretty tall [6'2] and I feel a bit scrunched up. Tried raising the seat but that felt like it changed the enter of gravity quite a bit and made the bike feel top heavy. So I dropped it back down. Stock windshield is a couple of inches low for me even extended. I have had Cee Bailey windshields before and unfortunately it looks like they are no in the bike business. So fielding recommendations for another brand appropriate for tall riders.

Glad to join you folks.

*Rubber side down*

Welcome.

Bimmer-car

beemer-motorcycle

Windshield are like saddles, lots of opinions, but there are some tried and true solutions.

Just bought my 1st BMW motorcycle a 2004 R1150RT...

Excellent choice.

...So fielding recommendations for another brand appropriate for tall riders.

I am also tall: 6'5". And I find that my 2004 R1150RT fits me better than any of my previous motos. Here are the mods that I made for better ergonomics. First, I bought a new seat. I love Russell seats, but was too impatient to wait for one. So, I bought a Sargent seat and have been very pleased with it. I also shimmed the front seat mounting brackets up about 3/16" which has the effect of making you feel less like you are sliding forward into the gas tank. Then, I lowered the footpegs using an adapter from Suburban Machinery that moves the mounting point about an inch down and forward. When you do that, you should also adjust the footbrake and shift levers -- there is sufficient adjustment available if you are handy with tools. I also installed "bar-backs" for the handlebars, which do not require any changes to the control lines and cables. With respect to windscreen, I chose a tall model by Aeroflow. Finally, although this isn't strictly for tall people, I added a sheepskin buttpad from Alaska Leather that raises me up just a tad more.

Beyond that, if you are a big person like me, and travel with full cases, then the bike will be carrying some extra weight. I opted to replace the OEM springs and shocks with units from Ohlins having "heavy duty" springs. The swap to Ohlins made a huge difference in ride quality and the feeling of being planted in the twisties.

This is what it looks like: A completely normal R1150RT

motoboysmall.jpg

Cap

Bimmer-Biker

Thanks for the reply. Not quite that handy with tools around bikes, but I have been told that I should learn unless I want to put my local BMW mechanic's kid through college. I have ordered the Windshield and will put the seat in my rainy day budget list.

Unfortunately bike only came with the rear case, and holy s-t side cases are $450 on eBay. Another save for a rainy day.

............ I have had Cee Bailey windshields before and unfortunately it looks like they are no in the bike business. So fielding recommendations for another brand appropriate for tall riders.

Glad to join you folks.

*Rubber side down*

First, congrats on getting the RT. I love mine and have ridden it all over the country (well, mostly) and I continue to marvel at what a mile eater it is. On a different note, I have three Cee Bailey windshields and was shocked to read that they've dropped their MC product line. I'll have to treat what I have like gold, I guess. By the way, the RT's a fairly easy bike to work on and there are a handful of very knowledgeable and friendly folks on this forum who can assist with your tech questions.

If you're looking for a REALLY tall windscreen, take a look at the SecDem / Bullster website. They're a small firm located just by Charles de Gaulle airport near Paris and the one I fitted to my brill Honda NC750S with the auto or manual tranny solved all my problems with noise and buffeting at supra-legal speeds. At city speeds you don't even need ear-plugs.

see foto :-

https://s26.postimg.org/p0uqsd5qh/Secdem_with_lamps_2017.jpg

AL in s.e. Spain

"

Unfortunately bike only came with the rear case"

Did they give you a legit reason for this?

Very rare for an RT to not sell with bags.

Any damage on the edges?

Like people are saying, these bikes can be worked on at home.

Best wishes.

Unfortunately bike only came with the rear case, and holy s-t side cases are $450 on eBay. Another save for a rainy day.

I only found out about my original ST panniers when the seller asked to "borrow" a spare key to "change some locks". Lol, I bit the bullet & negotiated a price.

Maybe that's how some end up on eBay?

I was almost at the point of having some old Honda Silverwing panniers custom fitted...

Keep well & enjoy your new German BFF