IGNORED

Clutch Adjustment?

speedybee

I have an 04 RT with about 60,000 miles. Over the past couple months of riding it seems like the clutch is not releasing completely or as much as it used to. Does that make any sense? Is my clutch wearing out or is there some adjustment that could correct this?

I have an 04 RT with about 60,000 miles. Over the past couple months of riding it seems like the clutch is not releasing completely or as much as it used to. Does that make any sense? Is my clutch wearing out or is there some adjustment that could correct this?

Evening speedybee

Your 2004 bike has a hydraulic clutch so it is self adjusting (no manual adjustment)

If it isn't fully releasing then it might have a low fluid level or air in the hydraulics (both signify a basic problem)

Start by checking the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir, if it is low then suspect a leak at the slave cylinder (this can quickly ruin your clutch).

If it has air in the hydraulics again probably a failing slave cylinder.

You need to check the clutch system (or have it checked) as you need to catch a clutch problem early as it can ruin your EXPENSIVE clutch.

That sounds like great advice Doctor D.R. I will get the system checked! In the meantime, is there a simple way for me to check for air in the hydraulics? Thank you.

That sounds like great advice Doctor D.R. I will get the system checked! In the meantime, is there a simple way for me to check for air in the hydraulics? Thank you.

Evening speedybee

Sort of, you can do it by clutch lever feel but that requires that you know what an aerated system feels like.

You might look at the fluid in the clutch master cylinder & if it is black or has crud in it then you probably have clutch hydraulic issues (usually the slave cylinder).

Just be VERY CAEREFUL in working with the clutch fluid & reservoir as ANY fluid spilled or splashed on the paint or dash can quickly ruin them (cover everything with plastic garbage bags before working on the clutch fluid areas)