IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC

Indy Dave

I did something stupid. :dopeslap:

Riding down to Cedar Key with Chris K we were on a lot of roads they sanded and in some cases put gravel on the bridges because of the recent ice/snow. Once we got into southern Georgia the roads were straightening out and we were making good time. Most of the time I was in 5th or 6th gear.

So here is my stupid part. :P We came up to our next turn which came up a little quick. I guess I didn't down shift from 5th gear. I was leaned in the turn and I start to give it gas to straighten the bike up. The bike stalled and slip the rear end. I didn't realize the stall and thought I was sliding in sand. So I am off the seat trying to ride out the skid. The bike ran out of momentum and violently high sided pile driving me into the ground. All of this at 10-20mphs. Six days in the hospital. The hospital recognized there was something wrong with my shoulder they wanted me to get it evaluated when I got home. I have to see my Doc on Monday to get me into the Orthopods to evaluate how bad my shoulder is separated. I can tell them it's bad, I can't hold my arm up.

Chris K and Joel went the extra mile for me. Joel came down with his truck and picked up my bike, all my gear took it back to his shop. Chris came down to the Hospital in south Georgia took me to meet Deb north of Atlanta. She got me home. Craig called every night and talk for at least a half hour each time. That really helped me take my mind off my situation.

According to Chris my bike's only damage is a chunk taken out of the windshield.

Now here is my note to myself. Down shift before a turn. :dopeslap: Hahaha. At least I can laugh on paper! Hopefully I made sense here, pain drugs mess with my already bad writing.

Alan

So good news/bad news situation. The bad news is that I won't be making it to START. The good news is that I won Presidents Club at work which comes with a trip to Prague! So while y'all are scooting around the Smokies I'll be touring cathedrals or museums or something. But hopefully see some of you for lunch in a couple weeks. Cheers!

Lone_RT_rider
So good news/bad news situation. The bad news is that I won't be making it to START. The good news is that I won Presidents Club at work which comes with a trip to Prague! So while y'all are scooting around the Smokies I'll be touring cathedrals or museums or something. But hopefully see some of you for lunch in a couple weeks. Cheers!

They rent bikes in the Czech republic. Just saying.... :)

Not what I was expecting when pushing you for the details. So sorry to hear about your get off. Even at low speed, it probably happened way fast. Heal quickly. And I would not have expected anything less from your riding posse.

Sorry to hear about your get off Alan.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and maybe the shoulder isn't as bad as it sounds.

I am glad nothing else serious is wrong.

Congrats on the promotion, I hope you have a great trip.

We will miss you at START, but this means you will have to come to FART.

:wave:

Congrats! And here I was looking forward to getting that GS dirty on some adventurous back roads.

Keith

Congrats! And here I was looking forward to getting that GS dirty on some adventurous back roads.

Keith

+1. Good on you, Christopher. :thumbsup:

.... I have to see my Doc on Monday to get me into the Orthopods to evaluate how bad my shoulder is separated. I can tell them it's bad, I can't hold my arm up.

~~~healing vibes. Let us know what the Doc says.

I did something stupid. :dopeslap:

Riding down to Cedar Key with Chris K we were on a lot of roads they sanded and in some cases put gravel on the bridges because of the recent ice/snow. Once we got into southern Georgia the roads were straightening out and we were making good time. Most of the time I was in 5th or 6th gear.

So here is my stupid part. :P We came up to our next turn which came up a little quick. I guess I didn't down shift from 5th gear. I was leaned in the turn and I start to give it gas to straighten the bike up. The bike stalled and slip the rear end. I didn't realize the stall and thought I was sliding in sand. So I am off the seat trying to ride out the skid. The bike ran out of momentum and violently high sided pile driving me into the ground. All of this at 10-20mphs. Six days in the hospital. The hospital recognized there was something wrong with my shoulder they wanted me to get it evaluated when I got home. I have to see my Doc on Monday to get me into the Orthopods to evaluate how bad my shoulder is separated. I can tell them it's bad, I can't hold my arm up.

Chris K and Joel went the extra mile for me. Joel came down with his truck and picked up my bike, all my gear took it back to his shop. Chris came down to the Hospital in south Georgia took me to meet Deb north of Atlanta. She got me home. Craig called every night and talk for at least a half hour each time. That really helped me take my mind off my situation.

According to Chris my bike's only damage is a chunk taken out of the windshield.

Now here is my note to myself. Down shift before a turn. :dopeslap: Hahaha. At least I can laugh on paper! Hopefully I made sense here, pain drugs mess with my already bad writing.

Alan

I am sorry to hear about the accident. I am glad you were well taken care of. Hurry up and get better so that you can make it to South Dakota this summer!

Alan, so sorry to hear about the off... Listen to your docs and Deb.... ðŸ˜

Chris, congrats on the award!!! Great stuff!

Alan, so sorry to hear about the off... Listen to your docs and Deb.... ðŸ˜

Chris, congrats on the award!!! Great stuff!

+1, heal quickly Alan! :thumbsup: Wow a chipped windscreen is all, man those GSAs' are tough mudders! :revit:

Pat

Alan - Bummer, man! Get well soon and I hope to see you at FART. "at" being the operative word, here. :) I don't want to see it, nor hear it, and most certainly not smell it in the other context.

Christopher - Great news! Enjoy Prague, and while you're there, have a glass of Krusovice. It's really good beer. It's pronounced crew-so-VEE-chay with a slight roll on the "r." I'm sure you'll sound like a local when you order it! :rofl:

I'm not going to be making it to START this year. I'm slated to go to Finland, Germany, and Bulgaria for work sometime in April so they've requested I leave my schedule open. The *ART's are easily the most fun motorcycle events I've ever attended, but c'mon! A company-paid trip to Europe? What would you all do?

A company-paid trip to Europe? What would you all do?

Oh~ The HUMANITY!! Any job that requires travel by Air (vs 2 wheels) is not job worth having; and a job that sends you to strange lands with un-'merican dialects is no job at all! Take a stand, quit this meaningless and isolating job immediately and go to work at Taco Bell where you can serve others international exotic food with the down home dialect so rare these days at such places.

Brain - GO FOR IT!! All I can say is that if this trend you and Christopher are STARTing continues, we may be forced - FORCED I say, to host a International START/FART. Very happy for the both of you, whenever I head across the pond, I have to pay my own way - and that hardly seems fair, what with you lollygaggers flying to and fro while others of us toil at really, REALLY important things like measuring float values of Battery Tenders.

Have a great time the both of you and enjoy.

Edited by workin' them angels

My separated shoulder got reattached yesterday. My ribs feel so much better, now that they have something to hold them up and in place :clap:

Now it's time to heal!

Thanks all for the well wishes.

Alan

[align:left][/align]Yeah Alan, make it snappy with the healing already!!!!

Otherwise, I may pester Craig into getting your bike ready so I can ride it at START...

Edited by Matts_12GS
My separated shoulder got reattached yesterday. My ribs feel so much better, now that they have something to hold them up and in place :clap:

Now it's time to heal!

Alan

Good for you!. :clap: :clap:

Heal quickly, there are people who want to see you in person so they can give you a hard time. :whistle:

Now it's time to heal!

Alan

Now that you are past your separation anxiety, you can work on feeling better. Hopefully see you in April!

Otherwise, I may pester Craig into getting your bike ready so I can ride it at START...

If Alan cant make it, the availability of his bike will be dependent on my being able to figure out how to ride his bike without squishing the boys every time i stop! :)

(JK Alan!)

If Alan cant make it, the availability of his bike will be dependent on my being able to figure out how to ride his bike without squishing the boys every time i stop! :)

(JK Alan!)

You guys think you can even reach the ground on that bike? LOL

(JK Alan!)

No problem, but they aren't as flashy as Craig's other riding boots. :/

I-5VsW9q4-w4BbwvnDc8Q3we8atBT2pKvuIw6XxR_9v8QrvWSKx_CBWgrxHQXm6MfCLwcSplgKOc0VTCkQ=w389?=.gif

(JK Alan!)

I couldnt reach the ground with so much as toe nails from both feet even after changing the seat to the lowered position ... hence my comment about needing to figure out how not to squish "the boys."

Lone_RT_rider

(JK Alan!)

I couldnt reach the ground with so much as toe nails from both feet even after changing the seat to the lowered position ... hence my comment about needing to figure out how not to squish "the boys."

Ohhhhhhhh to have such problems with the bikes I'm around lately!!!! Jeeeese!

(JK Alan!)

Does this mean you will have to ride your own GSA to START, as Foot's GSA is to big to push out of the trailer?

Or will you trailer both to START?

Lone_RT_rider

Does this mean you will have to ride your own GSA to START, as Foot's GSA is to big to push out of the trailer?

Oh man... The excrement just got 3 dimensional.

(JK Alan!)

I can't even find the pegs never mind the ground.

(JK Alan!)

No problem, but they aren't as flashy as Craig's other riding boots. :/

I-5VsW9q4-w4BbwvnDc8Q3we8atBT2pKvuIw6XxR_9v8QrvWSKx_CBWgrxHQXm6MfCLwcSplgKOc0VTCkQ=w389?=.gif

I gotta get me some of those!

Trailer both? Are you kidding? I thought you knew my trailer only fits one bike. :P

And I frankly still don't know (and doubt) I'll be able to make START this year. Perhaps I'll surprise everyone and show up anyway. Or, maybe I'll give you a heart attack and show up on the bike, with no trailer! :rofl:

... Perhaps I'll surprise everyone and show up anyway. Or, maybe I'll give you a heart attack and show up on the bike, with no trailer! :rofl:

That's my plan...

Lone_RT_rider
... Perhaps I'll surprise everyone and show up anyway. Or, maybe I'll give you a heart attack and show up on the bike, with no trailer! :rofl:

That's my plan...

"Nothing clears the head like 3 tanks of gas at speed" ~ Shovel head Ed

Lone_RT_rider
Unfortunately out for me. Starting a new job in March and the dates no longer work for me. Maybe someday....

Oh bloody hell Greg....

Congrats on the new job though. :)

In! Reservations made. Arriving Thursday-Leaving Sunday.

Hope to have Christine with me (Real Estate business dependent). Also could have a new rider in tow, my daughter, Abby.

Going old school, no GPS, no communications. Any roll charts available?

Lone_RT_rider
The hotel should have roll charts in every room.

:dopeslap::bike:

The small white ones? They come with a hand refractive optical viewer behind them?