IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC

Indy Dave

Ok kids, back to your corners before this becomes a festival "oh yeah, well I did xxxxx"

Nobody is busting on Dave and Ken. Not me, not Shawn, nobody.

Nobody is denying the efforts involved, time spent, bridges crossed, burned or otherwise.

What you are reading is the voice of frustration at crappy weather that may keep people from seeing other people they miss and want to spend time with.

Deep breaths. Chill.

Tick tock....

Ok kids, back to your corners before this becomes a festival "oh yeah, well I did xxxxx"

Nobody is busting on Dave and Ken. Not me, not Shawn, nobody.

Nobody is denying the efforts involved, time spent, bridges crossed, burned or otherwise.

What you are reading is the voice of frustration at crappy weather that may keep people from seeing other people they miss and want to spend time with.

Deep breaths. Chill.

Tick tock....

Didn't take it that way, at all. Just making a point that no amount of planning matters when weather is involved. We're all frustrated by this as this is a huge disappointment to all of us who were looking forward to this weekend. Ain't no deal...

Thanks one and all - and I apologize for an unnecessary post earlier. As Fernando can attest - I'm probably the king of a couple unfavorable categories here. I at times start a post and get distracted mid composition (the dangers of working from home), and by the time I finish and post, others have already posted - often negating my post; and in one case appearing to challenge the powers that be by a innocent video clip, because by the time I'd posted, the discussion direction had changed and the clip could have taken a different meaning. :dopeslap::ohboy:It was a funny clip too!

This was the case here, by the time I finished and posted, Kinsley had explained why we moved the weekend and my comments were redundant. Apologizes - we're all enthusiastic riders frustrated by the current weather. The other list I top here? I am unquestionably the king of typos and edited posts - a bit odd since it can take me so long to compose a post. I was tempted to delete my earlier post, but then felt that created another set of issues.

What is great is that we are an understanding bunch of folks who give each other the benefit of the doubt.

I'm packed and heading out on two wheels in the morning! :bike:

Thanks one and all - and I apologize for an unnecessary post earlier. As Fernando can attest - I'm probably the king of a couple unfavorable categories here. .....

What is great is that we are an understanding bunch of folks who give each other the benefit of the doubt.

Dave - Others can say nice things, however, I am very glad you will be there so that I can personally hold you accountable for anything that does not go well at START '18! :grin:

I just wanted to poke my head in here to say that today this became my favorite thread of the year.

uh, huh. figures. :stir:

I just wanted to poke my head in here to say that today this became my favorite thread of the year.

Glad you like it..you could come and stay an extra week to show the quilting ladies a very interesting "thread" while they enjoy great riding weather :dopeslap:

Thanks one and all - and I apologize for an unnecessary post earlier. As Fernando can attest - I'm probably the king of a couple unfavorable categories here. .....

Dave - Others can say nice things, however, I am very glad you will be there so that I can personally hold you accountable for anything that does not go well at START '18! :grin:

WoW, I am glad Dave has to take the heat. Recalculating! :dopeslap:

Bike is loaded and unless it starts snowing in FL, tomorrow morning I will meet bwpsg42(Bill W.) and Highway41(Bill W.) and be on my way to START. :wave:

Edited by Bernie
RandyShields

Last week of April or mid-month is no guaranty of good weather; the first El Paseo had snow on the sides of the roads and edges of some roads the last week of April in 2002, I believe. Take a look at some of the pictures I posted last year on Moto Photo. I learned long ago to bring the heated gear even in the summer up there. I sense a lot of angst out there from our northern riders, for the weather in their areas which I can relate to, and hope everyone who can escape the snow and ice can make it. If you can't get here, we will hoist a toast in your honor as we know you will be with us in spirit. Maybe more than one.

I'll need to know if these various weather circumstances somehow impact the amount of Bourbon committed by the affected parties so that we can adjust accordingly. Mostly I'll take this as a "yes" and make the proper adjustments.

See ya'll tomorrow.

I'll need to know if these various weather circumstances somehow impact the amount of Bourbon committed by the affected parties so that we can adjust accordingly. Mostly I'll take this as a "yes" and make the proper adjustments.

See ya'll tomorrow.

I've got one for you to try. :thumbsup:

See ya'll tomorrow.

I've got one for you to try. :thumbsup:

Rub it in, rub it in. It's still snowing here in Michigan.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Confirmed by the view from my office window:

20180417_093336-L.jpg

Was hoping to get out tonight for a short lap around the neighborhood to scrub my new tires, now I'm having doubts about the trip itself...

Was hoping to get out tonight for a short lap around the neighborhood to scrub my new tires, now I'm having doubts about the trip itself...

It will be very disappointing if Mitch and Shawn are not at START'18! You have both been such an integral part of these events.

I was a maybe because of possible jury duty that could have started today. However, I feel I won the lottery - I found out last night that I did not have to report and out of the pool for another 2 years! :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider

It will be very disappointing if Mitch and Shawn are not at START'18! You have both been such an integral part of these events.

I was a maybe because of possible jury duty that could have started today. However, I feel I won the lottery - I found out last night that I did not have to report and out of the pool for another 2 years! :thumbsup:

Bob, it's not looking good for either of us right now. There's a big front headed my way that is supposed to pull moisture from Lake Michigan and curl back on us. This morning it was forecast as 3-5 inches ending after midnight/Thursday AM. As of a few minutes ago, they backed it off to 1-3 inches with ending late Wednesday night. Mitch and I will be checking it all......day.....long. Due to the 48 hour hotel cancellation policy, we really need to make a decision tonight.

18APR2018%20Forecast%20Germantown%20WI-L.jpg

Really sad to watch the wx change all your plans. Hope it gets better in time for some of you to make it.

Lone_RT_rider
Really sad to watch the wx change all your plans. Hope it gets better in time for some of you to make it.

Thanks Marty. Sometimes when you chase the dream job, you have to put up with a few bumps in the road. I'm working on a backup plan..... we shall see.

Weather still looks good from Connecticut for my mid afternoon departure. Looking to stop around DC tomorrow.

Hey All, just got this report from a hiking buddy who lives in Boone:

The weather Thursday will be great. High of 50 and sunny but a little windy. You know the Parkway is closed from Holloway Mountain Rd to Beacon Heights so you will have to take 221 or come through Boone if you are coming in from the south or west.

The weather Thursday will be great. High of 50 and sunny but a little windy. You know the Parkway is closed from Holloway Mountain Rd to Beacon Heights so you will have to take 221 or come through Boone if you are coming in from the south or west.

The routes I sent for START avoid the closure. Heading North on the BRP you will get off on 221 towards Blowing Rock, then take Holloway Mountain road back to the parkway and into Blowing Rock.

You could stay on 221 for the 4 miles or so, but there are a lot of side streets and driveways with local traffic in the section closer to town.

I am still in need of a bed. anyone have a two bed room and could use someone to share the costs? please PM me thanks

Edited by randy

The routes I sent for START avoid the closure. Heading North on the BRP you will get off on 221 towards Blowing Rock, then take Holloway Mountain road back to the parkway and into Blowing Rock.

You could stay on 221 for the 4 miles or so, but there are a lot of side streets and driveways with local traffic in the section closer to town.

Thanks Ken... I should have realized that those of you who are in the 21st Century wouldn't need my heads-up ;)

Well, this pretty much sucks. I usually leave on Tuesday when I go to START or FART, and stay at our oldest son's in Cincinnati. I leave Wednesday morning and ride to the location of the event. I cancelled my room for START due to the weather. I went into our local dealership about Noon today, and found out the owner left a couple hours earlier pulling an empty trailer to a bike auction in Cincinnati. I could have ridden with him with my bike in his trailer, and then arrived in Blowing Rock on schedule tomorrow.

Thanks Ken... I should have realized that those of you who are in the 21st Century wouldn't need my heads-up ;)

Well, I don't get them all and the reason I knew of this closure is because of someone on this START thread so it's a collaborative effort. Just be sure to follow someone that's in the 21st Century :)

I'm all set to go tomorrow morning, first meeting up with Bob (Endobobdds) in Front Royal, VA, then heading south on I-81, arriving in Blowing Rock whenever we get there.

I am in route from Colorado. My gas mileage is down to about 35.

Can someone bring a Twin Max or equivalent so I can check my 1150 GSA?

I did the valves and have the feeler gages with me if needed.

Thanks

It was a brisk 25 degrees this morning on the mountain. It's now 70 degrees, now that's what I call a spread! They are calling for nearly 80 tomorrow. I hope this warm air make it north for the snow bound folks.

Alan

Well, I don't get them all and the reason I knew of this closure is because of someone on this START thread so it's a collaborative effort. Just be sure to follow someone that's in the 21st Century :)

I (almost) always do! :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider
It was a brisk 25 degrees this morning on the mountain. It's now 70 degrees, now that's what I call a spread! They are calling for nearly 80 tomorrow. I hope this warm air make it north for the snow bound folks.

It will Alan, just a few days later than we need it to.

86 in Tulsa as we speak... Unfortunately I will be unable to attend.

Snow sucks... Both inches we had this year was terrible. :rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Sorry to say this folks, but I'm out. :( Wednesday night's forecast up here looks pretty sloppy - and even if I could get out of town, the weather the rest of the time isn't quite what I was hoping for; I'm not sure I'd really enjoy this trip. I will hope the weather is better for FARTing this fall.

Whip:

I've got carb sticks if that's what you need. I can have them available easy enough, I live 15 miles away.

Thanks.

Please find me when you get there.

2004 GSA silver

Edited by Whip

Thanks

Whip,

Ill bring a twin max. Should be there around 5ish tomorrow.

Mike

Just in case anyone gets off the route into one of the Parkway closures...

IMG_20180411_155144_120.jpg

Edited by Matts_12GS
Lone_RT_rider
Sorry to say this folks, but I'm out. :( Wednesday night's forecast up here looks pretty sloppy - and even if I could get out of town, the weather the rest of the time isn't quite what I was hoping for; I'm not sure I'd really enjoy this trip. I will hope the weather is better for FARTing this fall.

More than half the reason to go on this trip was to be able to ride and hang out with you my friend. I understand and respect your choice. You will be missed. :(

My bike is in the back of the truck pre-snowpocalypse that we are are supposed to be getting starting at 1 PM CST here in Milwaukee. My wonderful wife has offered to drive me down South of this mess and drop me and the bike off, then return back North with the truck.

I'm still in. See you Friday when I get to Blowing rock.

Shawn

Thanks

Whip,

Ill bring a twin max. Should be there around 5ish tomorrow.

Mike

Thanks.

I will arrive Thursday evening.

Whip

I keep forgetting to post this. If anybody coming up from the south needs a place to stay tonight, Thursday, or Friday, or on the return trip, send me a PM, e-mail me at libssd@gmail.com, or phone 404-640-9086.

Enclosed garage with tools, guest room (and a very comfy sofa if more than one). From our place on the west side of Dahlonega, it's about 270 miles to Blowing Rock via the BRP.

Pam and I are riding up to Tellico Plains for lunch at Tellico Grains today, so I won't be paying much attention this afternoon....

More than half the reason to go on this trip was to be able to ride and hang out with you my friend. I understand and respect your choice. You will be missed. :(

My bike is in the back of the truck pre-snowpocalypse that we are are supposed to be getting starting at 1 PM CST here in Milwaukee. My wonderful wife has offered to drive me down South of this mess and drop me and the bike off, then return back North with the truck.

I'm still in. See you Friday when I get to Blowing rock.

Shawn

I'm so sorry you won't make this Mitch, but totally get it! Shawn, so happy I'll get to see you twice in the course of one week!! :clap: