IGNORED

Oil Filter

I have a 200 mile ride if I want to buy a oil filter from my BMW dealer and I think its over priced at $22. Does anyone have use filters from Auto Zone or Walmart? I would like to buy locally.

Bob

My local stores (WalMart, Advance) of the serve yourself type do not have a good filter cross-reference for my RT. NAPA might have something in their catalog but I've not asked. I figure that if they want to sell me motorcycle parts, they'll have the necessary info readily available. They do not.

My filters and such come from Beemerboneyard.com

Better prices, quality parts, great service.

For an additional 10% off use code BMWST

Edited by lkraus
Why don't you just buy the filters online from a dealer, and they'll show up at your door?

+1 ...or from any other online resource.

Edited by AndyS
I have a 200 mile ride if I want to buy a oil filter from my BMW dealer and I think its over priced at $22. Does anyone have use filters from Auto Zone or Walmart? I would like to buy locally.

Morning Bob

If your motorcycle is still under BMW warranty then you probably want to stick with BMW accepted oil filters (that's very few if any from the local auto parts store). Now that the trans in included with the engine oil you need to worry about the trans & clutch as well as engine when it comes to BMW warranty (especially in marginal failure areas).

If you go aftermarket on the oil filter then make darn sure that the filter is listed as proper for your motorcycle (BMW accepted) & that the filter company will stand behind that filter in court (FOR YOUR USAGE APPLICATION) if necessary.

In the past BMW has used things like non approved oil filters to deny engine warranty claims.

I usually buy my (BMW approved) BMW oil filters on-line from places like Amazon. (usually $12.00-$13.00) with free shipping if you buy enough ahead.

I just buy the 4 pack from BeemerBoneyard. Also get the pack of crush washers and filler O Ring. I get my plugs, air filter, diff fluid as well from there. I keep a supply on hand.

Morning Bob

If your motorcycle is still under BMW warranty then you probably want to stick with BMW accepted oil filters (that's very few if any from the local auto parts store). Now that the trans in included with the engine oil you need to worry about the trans & clutch as well as engine when it comes to BMW warranty (especially in marginal failure areas).

If you go aftermarket on the oil filter then make darn sure that the filter is listed as proper for your motorcycle (BMW accepted) & that the filter company will stand behind that filter in court (FOR YOUR USAGE APPLICATION) if necessary.

In the past BMW has used things like non approved oil filters to deny engine warranty claims.

I usually buy my (BMW approved) BMW oil filters on-line from places like Amazon. (usually $12.00-$13.00) with free shipping if you buy enough ahead.

Morning Bob

Good morning DR!

BMW will try anything, but it doesn't mean that they can get away with it, at least not in the US! Personally, I second the suggestion that the OP buys filters from Beemerboneyard, since those filters are (what I believe to be) the OEM filters that BMW rebranded. In any case, they are quality oil filter.

Now, as to what BMW tries to get away with, regarding warranty service, you should be aware that BMW had recently tried to deny a Mini driver warranty claims because his car was not serviced by BMW dealership. The case got to court, and BMW lost that case! The details of the case is described in:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/mini-cooper-illegally-denied-warranty-repairs-ftc-031915.html

Official comments from FTC:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/03/bmw-settles-ftc-charges-its-mini-division-illegally-conditioned

Morning Bob

Morning Bob

Good morning DR!

BMW will try anything, but it doesn't mean that they can get away with it, at least not in the US! Personally, I second the suggestion that the OP buys filters from Beemerboneyard, since those filters are (what I believe to be) the OEM filters that BMW rebranded. In any case, they are quality oil filter.

Now, as to what BMW tries to get away with, regarding warranty service, you should be aware that BMW had recently tried to deny a Mini driver warranty claims because his car was not serviced by BMW dealership. The case got to court, and BMW lost that case! The details of the case is described in:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/mini-cooper-illegally-denied-warranty-repairs-ftc-031915.html

Official comments from FTC:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/03/bmw-settles-ftc-charges-its-mini-division-illegally-conditioned

Morning PadG

All I know for sure is "all" BMW has to do is say NO (and they have in the past), then it is up to the owner & his high priced lawyer to take it through the legal system & see where it pans out.

If a non BMW approved oil filter then who knows how that will turn out through the court system.

I guess if a rider wants to push the issue then have at it, personally I will spend the extra $6.00 or so not to have to worry about lawyers, time in court, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly with DR's comments. Saving a few bucks on an oil filter seems to be false economy, especially when the bike is still under warranty. I don't get my service done by a dealer, but I do use BMW filters for oil changes (my bike is still under warranty).

I agree wholeheartedly with DR's comments. Saving a few bucks on an oil filter seems to be false economy, especially when the bike is still under warranty. I don't get my service done by a dealer, but I do use BMW filters for oil changes (my bike is still under warranty).

+1 and agree with what others have posted ... you can but OEM filters on line for a lot less than $22.

Well a Mobile 1 102 is not a junk filter and it fits the RT just fine.

Much to do over nothing. Like debating if a Mahle is as good as a BMW filter.

Like car batteries there are only so many people who make oil filters in the world. Yes they make them to specs of who's label is going on but there are plenty of top quality filters for a lot less then a over priced, bend me over, BMW filter.

A Mobil 1, Bosch and K&N are at any Auto Zone or Pep Boys or Advance Auto you walk into.

This.

And as far as "fitting" wrt an oil filter, and "fit".

It is what happens inside that matters, IMO.

IIRC Mahle makes the filters for BMW.

Many vehicle manufacturers get their branded items from a few filter manufacturers and we as consumers get bamboozled into thinking that only filters with their name.I.E BMW, are acceptable...

I get my filters from Beemerboneyard as well. So far so good after many years of using them on various bikes... YMMV