IGNORED

New Member In the DC area

Cinko

Hi Guys, Just purchased a 2002 BMW R1150R this past weekend and already realized I am probably going to have a lot of questions as this is my first Bike of this kind.

I've had quite a few bikes (Bandit 1200, Katana 1100, Kawasaki ZRX1100, and a several different Kawasaki Ninjas to name a few)

But never fuel injected... never set up for more then a day ride, and clearly never with a horizontally opposed engine =)

I decided to move out of the sport bike realm and starting doing some weekend trips... However there is probably going to be a little bit of a learning curve as I get use to it... hopefully I wont get ragged-on too hard when asking questions that may be obvious to the rest of you.. Just keep it in the back of your mind... This is that new sport bike guy...he's trying here...lol

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup: I often call it a club over a forum because there are so many opportunities to meet up with the fine folks that hang out here. Pretty cool actually meeting up and sometimes riding with members of the forum. I do need to do a little better in this dept myself as of late. :(

Questions, we have an app guy for that! :grin:

Pat

Welcome aboard! You'll find that we're pretty gentle with newbies here. Well, once you make it through the initiation, anyway. :)

Welcome Cinko. I'm from Chevy Chase, Md. Where do you live in the DC area? I joined the forum last year. I've attended one rally and it was fantastic. Very good riders and terrific people.

Thanks Tewks, and Bill!

Twisty, I work here in DC (off newyork ave) but live just west in MD... however i have family and property in nova, so I'm all over the metropolitan area... Ill pm you my info

Welcome Cinko - once you figure out how to post a photo, you'll be in like Flint. :dopeslap: Welcome welcome, lots of great folks in your neck of the woods hang out here.

Feel free to join us for START in Blowing Rock, NC April 18-22nd. You'll be treated to great riding and great people. Events here can be classified as "You don't know what you're missing" and once you attend, you'll keep coming back.

Spring Tune-Up Appalachian Riding Tour (START)

Welcome Cinko - once you figure out how to post a photo, you'll be in like Flint. :dopeslap: Welcome welcome, lots of great folks in your neck of the woods hang out here.

Feel free to join us for START in Blowing Rock, NC April 18-22nd. You'll be treated to great riding and great people. Events here can be classified as "You don't know what you're missing" and once you attend, you'll keep coming back.

Spring Tune-Up Appalachian Riding Tour (START)

Thanks, and yes as soon as i figure out this photo thing I'll post some pics, cheers!

Welcome, I am new as of a few months ago. I haven't attended any rallys yet myself. The folks here were more than helpful with a couple issues on my '04 R1150RT I had. I too have a 1200 Bandit. Still have it and after a long weekend down to the Dragon on the RT I am of a mind to sell it come spring. I'm out north of Frederick but work near BWI. Enjoy your new ride!

Welcome, Cinko. I'm Inside the Beltway myself.

After years on this forum I haven't seen many members get ragged-on and nobody's questions are obvious, which is why this is the best BMW forum around.

Ask away and enjoy the ride!

Welcome, I am new as of a few months ago. I haven't attended any rallys yet myself. The folks here were more than helpful with a couple issues on my '04 R1150RT I had. I too have a 1200 Bandit. Still have it and after a long weekend down to the Dragon on the RT I am of a mind to sell it come spring. I'm out north of Frederick but work near BWI. Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks Joey!

Welcome, Cinko. I'm Inside the Beltway myself.

After years on this forum I haven't seen many members get ragged-on and nobody's questions are obvious, which is why this is the best BMW forum around.

Ask away and enjoy the ride!

I'm already noticing that.. I don't want to cut any other forums or sites... but let me just say this, the fact that I posted questions and immediately got legitimate answers and well-thought responses was literally surprising and almost unheard of anywhere else, this is such a relief to have found, and thank you too John!

I too wish to welcome you to the best BMW, or for that matter, any motorcycle forum I have seen!

I live in NW, DC and didn't realize we had so many members on the BMWST board that live in this area. If you have not heard of the Baltimore - Washington Metropolitan BMW club (BMWBMW.org) you need to check it out soon and become a member. As Dave said, check out START '17 and try to attend - you will be very happy that you did! :thumbsup:

Edited by Endobobdds

Welcome.

Some 1150 riders carry quick disconnect spares when they are riding. They come in handy when the bike starts spewing gas all over the place. Hopefully Larry and/or Mr. Duck will chime in here with the pertinent info.

Pics, pics, we need pics. :)

I too wish to welcome you to the best BMW, or for that matter, any motorcycle forum I have seen!

I live in NW, DC and didn't realize we had so many members on the BMWST board that live in this area. If you have not heard of the Baltimore - Washington Metropolitan BMW club (BMWBMW.org) you need to check it out soon and become a member. As Dave said, check out START '17 and try to attend - you will be very happy that you did! :thumbsup:

Thanks and yes I will definitely check out BMWBMW.org

Welcome.

Some 1150 riders carry quick disconnect spares when they are riding. They come in handy when the bike starts spewing gas all over the place. Hopefully Larry and/or Mr. Duck will chime in here with the pertinent info.

Pics will soon come... im a perfectionist so I want all the work done first, and what's up with that gas issue? Is there really some notorious gas issue or am I missing something?
Welcome.

Ideally, if the previous owner hasn't already done it, your best bet is to replace the plastic fuel line quick disconnects with metal ones when the tank is off for a 12K service. I vaguely recall getting them from McMaster-Carr. Yep, found the receipt, with part numbers:

5012K672 Acetal Quick-Disconnect Tube Coupling Socket for 5/16" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
5012K712 Acetal Quick-Disconnect Tube Coupling Plug for 5/16" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off

You'll need two of each, and four Oetiker clamps and an Oetiker clamp crimping tool, or else four screw-type fuel injection clamps (NOT standard hose clamps), which is what I used. But sometimes the screws on those get in the way.

Hi Guys, Just purchased a 2002 BMW R1150R this past weekend and already realized I am probably going to have a lot of questions as this is my first Bike of this kind.

I've had quite a few bikes (Bandit 1200, Katana 1100, Kawasaki ZRX1100, and a several different Kawasaki Ninjas to name a few)

But never fuel injected... never set up for more then a day ride, and clearly never with a horizontally opposed engine =)

I decided to move out of the sport bike realm and starting doing some weekend trips... However there is probably going to be a little bit of a learning curve as I get use to it... hopefully I wont get ragged-on too hard when asking questions that may be obvious to the rest of you.. Just keep it in the back of your mind... This is that new sport bike guy...he's trying here...lol

Were you on the road about 1030-1100ish wearing a bright yellow jacket on 495? Everytime I go up there I'm in "unfamiliar" terrirtory and somebody with a maroonish 1100/1200/1150 R bike passed me.

Edited by Living the Dream

Were you on the road about 1030-1100ish wearing a bright yellow jacket on 495? Everytime I go up there I'm in "unfamiliar" terrirtory and somebody with a maroonish 1100/1200/1150 R bike passed me.

Ahhh man sadly that was not me... i dont have the luxury yet of being out and about at 1030am... i was out that way for work but that was at 530am... and i wasnt riding.