Page 2 of 2 1 2
#999651 - 10/25/17 02:51 PM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Welcome to the family Dave. wave

Good to have another member. I ride mostly old oilhead bikes so have no advice on the new ones except the are mostly all several generations better than my 03 R 1150 R.

Good advice above. Keep us updated as your search continues.

Would be great if you could show up at an UN or some other event so we could meet face to face.

PS you might want to disregard some of what Dave said. rofl whistle

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#999777 - 10/27/17 08:45 PM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Dave Harding Offline
Just Joined
Dave Harding  Offline
Just Joined

SoCal
Who's Dave? Where are the events listed? A Laurel & Hardy Harding Welcome! Funny:)

DigitalDave
#999793 - 10/27/17 11:52 PM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by Dave Harding
Who's Dave? Where are the events listed? A Laurel & Hardy Harding Welcome! Funny:)

The easy question first. The UN Rally is unique in that it has it's own Sub Forum. The Un alternates between Westerly and Easterly locations generally. The Activities and Events Section holds the UN subject area and also Ride and Event Planning - where all other events are posted and listed and bantered on about until the event itself. Once the event has taken place, discussion about the events shifts to Ride Tales.

Activities & Events

As to your complicated second question, I'm by no means an expert - but I've heard tell of a few legends, stories and alleged sightings here and there about this Dave guy.

Firstly - DO NOT BE FOOLED! This is NOT HIM - this is an IMPOSTER!

[Linked Image]

There are some who say he's the finest they've ever met and that The Boy Scouts of America (and Canada) modeled the 12 traits of Boy Scouts after him (Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent). Others claim it was the McDonalds Bic Mac lingo that he inspired - Two All Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions all on a Sesame Seed Bun. Still others say he's the kind of dude who is Always Working Them Angels and that his varied musical tastes include a liking to Rush - among many others. [EDIT: Personaly, I've seen no evidence to support the Rush claim] And still others are sworn to secrecy.

Fortunatly for you, Sir - there is an alleged and recent Dave sighting in this thread- with a typical sorted tale of the kinds of things he reportedly gets mixed up in - a few posts below the picture.

Reported Dave Sighting

I'll leave it to you to form your own opinion.

Last edited by workin' them angels; 10/28/17 12:00 AM. Reason: Disclaimer about Rush

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#999795 - 10/28/17 12:05 AM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Kinsley Offline
Kinsley  Offline

ATL and to the Right
That Imposter is making the rounds lately...and no one has mentioned ATGAT bike

www.BetterCoverage.net
www.insleyimages.com

"Ride fast enough that you can't take your mind off riding, but not fast enough to worry about crashing"
#999797 - 10/28/17 12:09 AM Re: New member intro [Re: Kinsley]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by Kinsley
That Imposter is making the rounds lately...and no one has mentioned ATGAT bike

I thought the imposter WAS wearing a jacket that was just flesh colored . . . Looks tough enough to be. thumbsup

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#999803 - 10/28/17 03:53 AM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Dave Harding Offline
Just Joined
Dave Harding  Offline
Just Joined

SoCal
I might just feel at home here. Was afraid you beemer bikers were hoity toity, but seems yer just regular biker clan
I am seeing that the 06 - 09 bikes will be on my radar. A well sorted, well maintained fully optioned bike is likely where I'll be looking.

DigitalDave
#999838 - 10/28/17 11:23 PM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Medic Mike Offline
Medic Mike  Offline

Raleigh, NC
Dave H:
This group is the antithesis of hoity toity...unless you want to discuss the virtues of 10+ year old Scotch or Bourbon or why you should always check to make sure you have a corkscrew for long trips. Outside of that, this is a great group of folks with knowledge and humor to spare. Welcome to the gang, and do not forget to check out the Hex Head section of the forums. A lot of issue(s)/concerns and questions are in there that may help you in your journey.

Mike

2011 R1200RT Ostra Gray
2006 R1200RT Piedmont Red (totaled)
2004 R1150 RT-P my first love (re-homed)
FDNY-343. I will never forget.
#999876 - 10/29/17 07:31 PM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Dave Harding Offline
Just Joined
Dave Harding  Offline
Just Joined

SoCal
Yes, been reading thru all the forums, checking accessories prices, parts prices, used bike prices... Currently looking thru Wunderlich parts and accessories listings. This forum seems to have a small town vibe to it, and that's a nice feeling. The Harley worlds joke is HD, hundred dollars, but theses BMWs got that beat:) I have heard of the 2k$$ clutch service, kinda scares me. When I bought this HD, I made sure to get one that had all the $$ stuff already done with good service records, that's my plan here, too. Will try and make one of the local meet ups in the coming months, too, to get some firsthand info.

Last edited by Dave Harding; 10/29/17 08:24 PM.

DigitalDave
#999878 - 10/29/17 09:17 PM Re: New member intro [Re: Dave Harding]  
Medic Mike Offline
Medic Mike  Offline

Raleigh, NC
Dave:
You will see some horror stories in regards to clutches and final drive failures. You will not see that often those that have 75k-150k on their machines with OEM clutches and FD's. When things go sideways with a BMW, it tends to be costly and time consuming to repair. Yet, if you look and see when these things occur, it is usually 50k, 60k, 75, 100k and so forth. These bikes get thousands of miles (my personal goal is 10k a year min) put on them a year. Outside of other Sport and Long Distance touring machines and riders, we BMW riders pack on a lot miles very quickly. When one looks at the repair costs in regards to time, some may think that BMW are a money pit (but most toys are anyways), but when you look at miles traveled the story changes a little. I think someone here had a lot of time on their hands and actually did a per mile cost analysis of their machine and compared it to a car and other motorcycles (I think, I hope I am not getting the MOA site confused with this one...might be time to up my Aricept).
We have a few members in your area...and I think an admin or two as well.
Happy hunting on the bike

Mike

2011 R1200RT Ostra Gray
2006 R1200RT Piedmont Red (totaled)
2004 R1150 RT-P my first love (re-homed)
FDNY-343. I will never forget.
Page 2 of 2 1 2