IGNORED

Big Beemer Newbie

kbob12

Hi! I recently returned to motorcycling after health issues abated, and purchased a friend's KLT since he stopped riding due to health issues... K1200LT under 50,000 miles, sat for 6 years.

I realize there is another site for LTs, but I am interested in SportTouring, and I think there is a bit of overlap and I can use all the help I can get!

I did a lot of maintenance to get the motorcycle back on the road-all fluids and filters, brake hoses and pads, fuel lines, fuel pump, radiator hoses, intake and breather rubber, plugs and wires, new windscreen, Corbin trunk, throttle cables, removed radio and added USB and power ports in place, and various odds and ends. After 3 months of wrenching and waiting for parts, I was ready to take the bike on the road. Out of the driveway and off I went.

I stopped to fill up at the a local gas station and when I was leaving I was shocked by the slow handling top heavy feel! I could not use the same rider skills which have kept the shiny side up over all these years!

(I weigh 135 lbs soaking wet at 5'9" which was always a plus for 30 years riding fast on various 750-1000cc sport bikes! I am sure all of you know my 30" inseam on an 800+ lb motorcycle is a whole 'nuther story!)

So, now I am investing in some rider training for slow maneuvering!

Fortunately, it has been 100 F in southern CA where I live, so I have been spending time watching videos, reading books, and signing up for a local rider safety course related to large motorcycles before putting on full leathers, etc., and hitting the road again!

Thank you for reading.

kbob12

If I remember correctly that bike has a reputation of being a handful at slow speeds. I only test rode one once, kind of remember thinking, the rep was deserved. You will adapt I'm sure! :thumbsup:

Welcome!

Pat

Congrats with your new steed!

I had a K1200LT and it was a bit of a learning curve in the parking lot... Anyway, I'd replace the tires as it sat for six years, putting them past the due date and being a heavy bike, riding on possibly dry rotted rubber isn't safe.

Also you can remove the 40# top case and see how you like the handling of the bike then. It'll give you a better CG until you're used to the machine.

And be sure to use the CORRECT tires. Those bike take specific reinforced tires due to the weight and horsepower . Metzeler and I think Bridgestone are the only choices these days. AND what year ? The linked brake models are tricky to ride .

Tire pressures need to bumped up from what the sticker inside the saddlebag says as well.

Tire life : 7-9k if you keep the pressure up and ride smoothly.

Always, always use a Battery Tender type charger and use a quality battery. To insure happiness, replace the battery (if a BMW or MotoBatt) every 2 years .

The rear brake will always squeak no matter what. Don't use it anyway unless it's raining.

After you get a few thousand miles on it, enroll in the StreetMasters Class held at Willow Springs . They will teach you how to make that big girl dance . AND how to behave at a snails pace .

I trust you replaced the radiator cap too. That's the only weak link of the cooling system.

If you have the BMW intercom, it won't work. Use a Bluetooth. If it does, call bmw, they will want it back for the museum.

Stay off the clutch, don't slip it ever. You never ease away from a stoplight, you launch from it. The smell of a slipping clutch is the smell of hundred dollar bills burning .

Edited by Tri750

They are geared pretty tall, hence the good gas mileage 48-52 on the freeway. 4th gear is 1: to 1 5 th is a true overdrive.

So let's say going over the Grapevine, no matter at 45 or 75 mph , 3rd gear is happy time.

When passing a line of cars, always drop a gear and go. There's a rev limiter so you won't hurt it.

They hate to be lugged . Upshift at 3 to 3500.

When de-cel you'll notice they have big engine braking. That's because there is no FI overrun circuit to to give a smooth decel. That wastes gas.

So get used to pulling in the clutch to avoid helmet bonking with your passenger.

I rode these a lot at the dealership and think BMW should have just upgraded them and kept making them alongside the 1600.

Valve adjustments are a rumor if you keep the revs up to keep Carbon down.

Coolant and brake flushes, go by the book.

Everyone has been so kind with the great advice. Funny thing is I can't find my last reply to this thread. Oh, well. I guess I will figure out what I am doing as I go along.

Thank you, Everyone for your advice and help! New tires tomorrow, and I have created an account with Willow Springs.

I will hafta get more info about "the StreetMasters Class." I have time... tires, and a couple thousand miles to practice.

I did the StreetMasters class and I had been riding for 35+ yr. Club Roadracing for 8yr, and I use the skills I learned to this day. I was confident I wouldn't learn much but I was double wrong.

In time, you may choose to get a second smaller bike to run errands on, a 650 VStrom or something but this class will certainly help you manage the bike you have and be safer .

Great to hear... thank you. And, yeah--a smaller bike for around town is always practical.

I went a little overboard after having to give up riding for a while-my wife suggested a convertible, and then we added a few more vehicles besides our daily drivers... now, parking is at a premium here--with a van, a pickup, convertible, land yacht, etc., just keeping air in the tires and batteries charged is a FT job! lol

I plan to take the class because after all the years riding, and not--at my age I forget a lot! ;)