IGNORED

R1100RT VS R1150RT

McDuugle

How do these two bike stack up to one another? Pros and cons? Ease of maintenance? Reliability, features and so forth. I have a 1100, just asking to see if there would be a advantage or disadvantage should I ever choose to make the change.

-Dave

There are lots of older threads about this that you can find via a google search. I've only had experience with one and not the other, so I'm no help.

How do these two bike stack up to one another? Pros and cons? Ease of maintenance? Reliability, features and so forth. I have a 1100, just asking to see if there would be a advantage or disadvantage should I ever choose to make the change.

Like szurszewski, I have experience only with the R1100RT, but from all the posts that I have seen since acquiring it, I think it's the better model for these reasons:

-- 5-speed transmission with good ratios

-- Cable operated clutch

-- Few to no clutch alignment issues/premature spline wear

-- Simpler, more reliable ABS

Pluses for the 1150 seem to be:

-- Switch gear has more tactile feedback

-- Better headlight (I installed an Eastern Beaver H4 headlight relay to drive a Hella 100/55W bulb)

-- Improved HES wiring

Bert Remington

I'm sure I'll regret replying to this topic but unless your R1100RT is a maintenance or performance concern, I recommend you spend your "transition" money on refurbishment.

I recently purchased a 2000 R1100RT 76K after discovering I didn't fit a Honda PC800. I had a K100 in the 80s so looked at BMWs. The late-1990s/early-2000s provided superior features/$s compared to anything else in a sports-touring form factor. I first pursued R1150RTs (modern), including a conditional offer (fell through on seller's part), swerved into K1100 and K1200RTs (performance), swerved back to R1150RTs and then made the safe choice: R1100RTs.

Primary reason for R1100RT vs R1150RT choice (this will be controversial): the R1150RT is a transition design between the R1100- and the R1200-series responding to market forces, primarily authority (police) configuration.

You can see this in 1150 engine, brakes, transmission and electrical/HMI changes.

Transition designs are often problematic for manufacturing and operational reasons and the 1150 is not an exception.

Having said that there are many many 1150s providing reliable and affordable service worldwide.

Returning to your question, you will be exchanging a known in a downscale market for an unknown in a somewhat higher market. My estimate of end-to-end "transition" costs is about $1,500. Take this "money" and spend it on refurbishment. Publish an inventory of your current R1100RT (eg, original brake lines or not, original chain tensioner or not, etc) and the friendly and helpful folks in this forum will help you out.

I'll begin with a suggestion: replace your 3-spoke rear wheel with a 5-spoke K1200RT wheel ($100 or so eBay) so you have modern performance tire choices.

Spend the money on good aftermarket shocks. Best return on investment of any change you will make. Puts a smile on your face every time you enjoy the ride improvement.

The late 2003 to 2005 R1150RT's (twin spark) are the bikes the R1100RT always wanted to be! Simple, buy as new and low mileage a bike as you can possibly afford. Avoid the early R1150RT's (2002 seemed to be a bad year in general).

So, as others have said these responses are contestable, but used both, the 1150 really shines. Lights, power, transmission, comfort are all improvements over the early bikes.

Even within the 1100 line, the 1998 and newer are a "better" bike.

Just like the 1150, as mentioned the later are better. And really, 2004 and 05 are the best.

2005 are not plentiful but they are out there.

Well, how do you ride?

How often, how far, what weather, pillion?

Both have many pros and cons.

Depending on your needs, either works.

You're in Florida.

It gets hot.

Then Summer comes for 6-9 months.

Air management on an Rt in hot weather is a challenge on both.

Check aftermarket options for windscreens.

At your height and size it will be difficult to get out from behind the barn door.

Perhaps an RS or S model could work?

The '98 model RT works fine as long as you maintain and prevent.

Best wishes.

I think the 1150 has the best looking body work of all the RT series. The 1100 is good looking but the body work doesn't look fully refined to me. Either one beats the 1200rt hands down in the looks department.

Like szurszewski, I have experience only with the R1100RT, but from all the posts that I have seen since acquiring it, I think it's the better model for these reasons:

-- 5-speed transmission with good ratios

-- Cable operated clutch

-- Few to no clutch alignment issues/premature spline wear

-- Simpler, more reliable ABS

Pluses for the 1150 seem to be:

-- Switch gear has more tactile feedback

-- Better headlight (I installed an Eastern Beaver H4 headlight relay to drive a Hella 100/55W bulb)

-- Improved HES wiring

I got to agree. I don't have an RT but I do have a '93 R1100RSL so close enough and I recently sold my '04RT so I've had experiences with both the 1100 and 1150. The ABS system on the 1150 is a joke simple as that. The 5 speed on the 1100 makes far better sense than the 6 speed on the 1150. In 60K miles I doubt if I used 6th more than 1K miles for a fact. The hydraulic clutch has absolutely no advantage over cable operated especially when you must deal with your leaky slave cylinder and I think they all will leak in time. Then we have the clutch/transmission spline engagement issue with the 6 speed which is another story in itself. As far as better HES wiring on the 1150 goes it is a no brainer to solve that potential problem on an 1100. I see no advantage at all to the dual spark system and I don't think the dual spark does much to address the oilhead surging issue.

I think if you want an oilhead you are far better off finding a good clean low mileage 1100 and at a lower initial cost then do, as another poster suggested, a few updates like new shocks and you're ahead of the game. Also, with the installation of a wideband O2 sensor with LC-2 controller or AF-XIED with new EV14 matched injectors you can run circles around a stock 1150. Maybe put some aftermarket driving lights on your 1100 as well.

• Like 1

Yeah I love the R1100RT (1998) I have right now, just asking you more experienced guys. As it is not only my first BMW but my first real street bike. Its my daily driver and has 64k on the clock right now. I probably over do it with maintenance oil change every 3k miles ( i use mineral) and trans / final dirve every 10k (synthetic). I have already upgraded the brake lines to SS Galfer lines after the OEM lines started leaking. Love this bike, glad to hear other have good experiences with this model as well. I even love the look, but I must say the 1150 has a nicer headlight.

-Dave

Bert Remington

If you are considering an H4 headlamp upgrade that only draws 23W (40 less than halogen) and doesn't require any tools, relays, etc to install, may I suggest the 12953BWX2 Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Bulb. Only sold in pairs and shockingly expensive but High and Low beam patterns and reach are superb.

Yes I have an extra. :)

...I think if you want an oilhead you are far better off finding a good clean low mileage 1100...

I think that either model is really cheap to buy at this point. And both models can be upgraded significantly with readily-available aftermarket mods. And for both models, the stuff that was going to break, due to poor assembly or manufacturing defects, has already broken. Other stuff eventually wears out, and needs to be replaced, on both models.

On average, the 1150's being newer, will have lower miles on mechanical bits, and less wear of the rubber and plastic bits. But most owners don't ride enough reach the service limit of either model.

So, in my opinion, it all comes down to which model appeals to your non-rational self. One might argue that ALL moto purchases are irrational... In my case, I just liked the looks of the 1150RT. I wanted one. And I did not, and still do not, really care about all the minor BS associated with keeping it working properly. That's just the cost of owning and riding a bike that puts a smile on my face. YMMV

Cap

Minor BS you say? Tell me that when you are looking at replacing the ABS modulator on your 1150 and they haven't all been replaced....yet. But they will be or maybe, as in my case, been removed permanently as in who needs that miserable ABS system anyway.

You can find, if you look hard, a very low mileage 1100. Good example is my '93 R1100RSL which had zero actual miles on it when I found it 6 years ago. The bike was virtually brand new having never even been started since it left the facility in Germany. Had to have a new fuel pump (frozen) and fuel filter (plugged) and then she started right up. Got just at 8K trouble free miles on it now and you couldn't give me a dozen 1150s for it. I know a little about the 1150 having owned an '04RT since new for 12 years. Found a '10 FJR1300A last year with only 900 original miles.

...So, in my opinion, it all comes down to which model appeals to your non-rational self. One might argue that ALL moto purchases are irrational... In my case, I just liked the looks of the 1150RT....

Amen to that (emphasis mine). They are both classics, in my opinion, two of the best looking tourers BMW has ever offered.

...So, in my opinion, it all comes down to which model appeals to your non-rational self. One might argue that ALL moto purchases are irrational... In my case, I just liked the looks of the 1150RT....

Amen to that (emphasis mine). They are both classics, in my opinion, two of the best looking tourers BMW has ever offered.

+1

Yes, I must agree, when it comes to looks I like the R1150RT better than the R1100RT. I always have thought the 1150RT was a true classic looks wise. That said I think the R1100RSL is about as good as it gets looks and otherwise.

I have had R1150R, R1150RS, R1150RT and each one had a failed transmission spline disaster. Left me stranded with no warning.All with less than 50k from 02-04

I have a friend that said his R1150RT went 214k without failure?

I will never trust another 1150 on a trip or own one. Once failure occurs, it continues and BMW will not own up to defect/flaw! And usually claims rider abuse!

I agree with everyone, the design and layout was beautiful.

I now have 2- 2008 R1200RT.

As of now they are 80k and 140k. I ride year round and the only way I see I am gaurateed a running bike is to have 2.

I have had R1150R, R1150RS, R1150RT and each one had a failed transmission spline disaster. Left me stranded with no warning.All with less than 50k from 02-04

I have a friend that said his R1150RT went 214k without failure?

I will never trust another 1150 on a trip or own one. Once failure occurs, it continues and BMW will not own up to defect/flaw! And usually claims rider abuse!

I agree with everyone, the design and layout was beautiful.

I now have 2- 2008 R1200RT.

As of now they are 80k and 140k. I ride year round and the only way I see I am gaurateed a running bike is to have 2.

WOW! Now that's dedication. Maybe a bit misplaced?

For anyone THAT worried about 1150 clutch splines, you can get a modified center hub for the clutch which better engages the shaft splines. Do that and you'll never have to worry about it again.

• Like 1

@JamesW "Minor BS you say? Tell me that when you are looking at replacing the ABS modulator on your 1150 and they haven't all been replaced....yet. But they will be or maybe, as in my case, been removed permanently as in who needs that miserable ABS system anyway. "

Who says they all fail? Miserable ABS system?

I contend that the stock whizzy, ABS brakes saved my life when I slammed into my first deer (at a much reduced and controlled speed). If I was on my non ABS R90s, I probably wouldn't be here. I'll take ABS, thanks.

btw, 2004 RT, 100k, stock brake modulator with only factory recommended maintenance.

But if you have data to prove me wrong, I'm listening........

RPG