IGNORED

Latest Options For Compatible BT For 2014 RT?

MotorsISP

Hello All

Sorry to throw this out but things are always changing so I thought I would take a chance and ask.

I have a '14 RTW with full audio options. I would like to Bluetooth connect my iPhone or iPod to listen to music on long rides. I appreciate good sound so quality in helmet speakers would be great. Don't care about phone calls. Also info from my NAV 5 would be good.

So far the UClear Pro BT speakers appear to be the best I've found.

I'm aware of the BMW options and I understand they are sub-par.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well any of the Sena units will work well for you. We have been using a pair of SMH-10's for about 7 years.

We have just updated to the Sena 30K's and they just arrived today.

I use a USB stick with MP3's converted to 320 kbs which is CD quality. I have the intercom to Patricia, my Samsung phone just for phone calls, and the USB for music paired to my Sena. It is pretty stable with the 10's which is a little older tech but I expect the 30K to be better. They have advanced to two processors, one for intercom and one for Bluetooth functions.

The cost of admission is pretty high for the 30K. The SMH-10 is pretty reasonable. The even make one with a camera along with intercom and Bluetooth in for making videos if you are into that. I understand that is wonderful also.

I had a brief experience of another popular brand and it convinced me Sena is the best of the bunch. However others may have other experiences to share.

I have been happy with my Sena 20s. Sound quality has been good and pairing with Android phone and Nav V is seamless. I sometimes wish for more volume out of the speakers when I've got earplugs in and am considering getting some active noise reduction wired earplugs to connect to the 20s. If anyone has a recommendation on some earplugs it would be appreciated.

I absolutely love the Bose Noise Cancelling ear buds. Stops 90% of the noise and its easy to hear from the ear buds. I bitched like hell on the price until I tried them and its worth every penny.

Bob

My Sena 10U has been good the last two years. Sean makes 10U models to fit inside several brands of helmets. Speaker placement inside helmet is key in getting good sound and volume. If your speakers are off center to your ears it will affect what you hear.

• 3 weeks later...

It does not appear rider to rider or rider to passenger is a priority for you. If it is a priority to you either the Cardo Packtalk or the new Sena 30K with their "dynamic mesh" technology which allows for full duplex communication is worth the price of admission. Sena is having a few teething problems which they will almost certainly fix with software updates. Sena is easier to operate with a gloved hand but is not 100% waterproof. The water resistance of the Sena's is more than sufficient for the majority of riders even in pretty wet conditions.

Cardo is not quite as easy to operate initially with a gloved hand. However, it has been out for almost 2 years and the bugs are worked out of it, it is 100% waterproof and after the initial set up you don't really need to control the unit often and if you do using it becomes second nature.

If we go back to the assumption that rider to rider or bike to bike communication is not a priority there are several headsets which will work well. The Sena 20S is a very solid unit with great control of the different audio inputs as far as setting priorities of which audio source should have priority over another. If you prefer to give GPS directions priority over music you can do this through both pairing sequence and settings in the well designed software. Sena also has their 10U series which integrates beautifully into many common helmets for an integrated instead of having a Bluetooth brain stuck on the side of your helmet.

If you connect your bike audio directly to the headset you do give up volume control of the bike audio from the "wonder wheel" which is not a big deal for most. However, if you'd like to control the audio volume from the wonder wheel it can be done pretty simply by adding a Sena SM10 Bluetooth hub with a hard wire of the bike audio speaker to the SM10 hub with a bridge of some a few options.

Probably the most straight forward and common approach is to just connect bike audio to Bluetooth headset or individual audio sources to Bluetooth headset. Lots of quality Bluetooth headsets.