IGNORED

10 lbs engine/tranny in a 5 lb Mini

greiffster

Nicol's '06 Mini Cooper S is in need of a new clutch as it's shifting poorly. Seeing as a clutch job is more expensive then the KBB trade-in value (that's depressing), I thought I'd try and tackle it myself. Wow, what a monster of a job this has been.

Two schools of thought here. Either yank out the engine or drop the transmission out the bottom. Both methods suck and are a lot of work, but I chose the latter. Here's some pics of the car and everything that has come out/off, including the sub-frame, before you can get to the transmission.

4cU1WsBAfJOohv7BzORf0HZqfmmJ3_WWpz08YijaEG_lMPve5Ppv7jeD8IVjuHnIT0PI_kd5ODPqHsT2uQ=w586-h440?=.jpg

l_mR81_qgFpGODTKIaIJBYOK5UTeod_vw5e-qfekFWffJn94mxSBzm_vSNJaQkDQxAsYrLTQs7e3qAn9mA=w586-h440?=.jpg

EuIUOkewJsLXxBgy5bkBRlaWELtbdRPFC8_NA19Y1nqM2rsYDVeG1AQOgW1YGS1pfrxG1tooOZYUn7G4hw=w586-h440?=.jpg

idl6OquLnUgxnVnOdNgSRk92wMi3UnopfydOvJAShdNayrKWWg2hIwqm_yROO3B9D87ECzzmIqWxgV4UnA=w586-h440?=.jpg

As it turns out, the clutch disk was worn, but not horribly. But, the throw-out bearing had come apart and bits were rolling around the bell housing. I'm still putting it back together as I'm waiting on a couple parts that I may have broken during tear down :dontknow:

This car has been a lot of fun over the years, but it's a beast to work on.

Practice this one in front of the mirror for a few minutes Mike.......

"Wow, my back hurts. Honey......jobs like these would be SO much easier if I had a proper lift. It would pay for itself in no time."

That looks like even more fun than I had replacing the steering rack on our Volvo XC. It sat on top of the subframe that held the engine/tranny, so same choices you had - I managed to sneak it out by jacking up the engine six inches, dropping the subframe then snaking the rack out through where the right front suspension used to be.

I don't think you're really getting the full experience though because you have a fancy garage instead of a carport. In Oregon. In the winter. Oh, also I had to do it twice because the brand new rack leaked. ;)

Has Nicol been riding the GS to school?

Edit to add:

Too bad you didn't weigh all the parts you took off - I bet it was a third of the car!

Edited by szurszewski
Practice this one in front of the mirror for a few minutes Mike.......

"Wow, my back hurts. Honey......jobs like these would be SO much easier if I had a proper lift. It would pay for itself in no time."

Actually, my back is killing me. Along with the my bloody index finger that I hit with my angle grinder (stripped pressure plate bolt). Nicol actually thinks I do stupid jobs like this so I can buy more tools I don't already have. mmmm...lift.

Has Nicol been riding the GS to school?

I told her to take it. :bike: She told me I was driving her to school. :dopeslap:

Today's vehicles are incredibly densely packed. Take the fairings off a wethead RT if you don't believe me. Anyway, it does make them harder to work on. I think the shop manuals practically say "Step 1: disassemble the entire vehicle".

Reminds me of back in my youth when a friend had an Austin-Healey Sprite that needed engine work. Two of us stood on either side in the engine bay and lifted the engine out handing it to two more friends who set it on the ground.

Reminds me of back in my youth when a friend had an Austin-Healey Sprite that needed engine work. Two of us stood on either side in the engine bay and lifted the engine out handing it to two more friends who set it on the ground.

...I think you're just trying to show off that you had three friends in your youth - that must have been cool ;)

Laura, Jeremiah, the dogs and I rode through Hurricane yesterday - I sort of waved in a general direction as I didn't know where you were. Considered posting a joke about bringing your old "short pants" by for a visit, but then decided against it...and now here it is.

:wave:

From my count, I only saw three adult beverages, one bottle and two cans...did the heavier stuff stay in the house for after work hours?

From my count, I only saw three adult beverages, one bottle and two cans...did the heavier stuff stay in the house for after work hours?

Actually, that is an unopened box of aluminum can/bottle koozies. But, just to the left of the case of bottled water, and out of frame, is my full size garage fridge. Normally, I would measure a job by the number of beers. This job requires at least one entire shelf of beer. :/

Mike,

It makes tired just looking at what you did.

Slack off a little or I'm going to have to take the rest of the week off to rest up. :grin:

You forgot to mention that the transmission was still attached, because there was no way to separate them while they were in the car. At least in the post-bugeye '68 I had.

You forgot to mention that the transmission was still attached, because there was no way to separate them while they were in the car. At least in the post-bugeye '68 I had.

I don't recall, but it seems likely. I just remember that no one struggled with the lift. That little four banger was tiny compared to the engines in our other cars. We also used man power to re-install a VW bug engine. We lifted the body up and over the engine after it was rebuilt.

Lone_RT_rider

I have a friend (I know, right?) at work that has a Mini. He's in the process of stuffing a Nissan 370Z V6 engine into it. I tried to convince him that an LSX would be a better option, but he's not having it. :D:burnout:

I have a friend (I know, right?) at work that has a Mini. He's in the process of stuffing a Nissan 370Z V6 engine into it. I tried to convince him that an LSX would be a better option, but he's not having it. :D:burnout:

I'm going to have to see a photo of that to believe it. No way that V6 is going to fit in there.

You know what sucks.....

When you put your Cooper back together with the new clutch and take it for test drive and it runs and shifts beautifully, like it never has. :clap:

And then the the next day you notice oil under the car. :jaw: And it's coming from the rear main seal because you obviously didn't put the new one in right or got it cocked? :facepalm:

Ah crap. At least ... um....got to be something good...um....at least it should be faster this time because you've done it before?

Lame!

Probably better just trade it in on a Jeep for Nicol to drive to Alaska :)

Lone_RT_rider
You know what sucks.....

When you put your Cooper back together with the new clutch and take it for test drive and it runs and shifts beautifully, like it never has. :clap:

And then the the next day you notice oil under the car. :jaw: And it's coming from the rear main seal because you obviously didn't put the new one in right or got it cocked? :facepalm:

Don't feel bad. I blew out the sight glass on my R1100RT once because I pounded the rear main seal in too far. It seems, you block off the PCV when you do that.... lol. Silly me. :)

Edited by Lone_RT_rider
Ah crap. At least ... um....got to be something good...um....at least it should be faster this time because you've done it before?

Lame!

Probably better just trade it in on a Jeep for Nicol to drive to Alaska :)

Well, I got the whole sub-frame back out and ready to drop the transmission in about 2 1/2 hours. It took me most of a day the first time. So, yes, it's a skill that I am honing. GREAT! :dopeslap:

There will be no trade in after my second attempt because it will be at the bottom of the Cumberland River.

Don't feel bad. I blew out the sight glass on my R1100RT once because I pounded the rear main seal in too far. It seems, you block off the PCV when you do that.... lol. Silly me. :)

I got the seal in there flush, I think?. I did have to start it at little angle to get it going. Maybe I damaged the inner lip? What sucks is the original seal was not leaking and I replaced it as preventative maintenance since they are known to fail north of 100k miles. :ohboy: Pure genius.

I got the seal in there flush, I think?. I did have to start it at little angle to get it going. Maybe I damaged the inner lip? What sucks is the original seal was not leaking and I replaced it as preventative maintenance since they are known to fail north of 100k miles. :ohboy: Pure genius.

Hmmm - maybe it should get turned into a Jeep right away then...

I got it all back together (for the second time) and everything is good (I think). No leaks. :thumbsup:

How many parts left over? ;)

Ha, I always worry about that. In this case, none. :thumbsup: Just a very slightly used Victor Reinz seal that looked to be installed correctly, yet leaked anyway?

I got it all back together (for the second time) and everything is good (I think). No leaks. :thumbsup:

How many parts left over? ;)

Ha, I always worry about that. In this case, none. :thumbsup: Just a very slightly used Victor Reinz seal that looked to be installed correctly, yet leaked anyway?

Maybe all the oil got out already?

Maybe all the oil got out already?

Well, Nicol got to school this morning, so I assume it still has some oil. ;) But it's only about 7 miles. If it seizes up on the way home and she turns it into a huge paperweight, I'll know I was wrong. In either case, problem solved. :cuz:

Lone_RT_rider

I'm going to have to see a photo of that to believe it. No way that V6 is going to fit in there.

Apparently they fit better in the back... :D

IMG_0703-L.jpg

Wow! Wait? So rear wheel drive?? Manual or auto? I'm not sure how I'd feel about sitting/driving in the engine compartment. :/

Lone_RT_rider
Wow! Wait? So rear wheel drive?? Manual or auto? I'm not sure how I'd feel about sitting/driving in the engine compartment. :/

Rear wheel drive, manual transmission. The guy doing it is a Bon-a-fide genuis (Think Mitch on a TON of caffeine). You may, or may not have heard of his book.

Shawn

Anybody remember the Renault R5 Turbo?

We had a '92 Cadillac Eldorado for a few years - I couldn't decide if it would be more fun to do this:

hd-aspect-1451773905-20151005-124835.jpg

or make it a convertible (about the same price for either assuming I was paying someone else to do the work)....so we sold it and bought a sidecar ;)

ISTR a conversion for the Corvair where they used a small V8 mounted midships about where the back seat would have been. The transaxle had to be turned around, etc. but I think there were kits available to do it. I only saw pictures (probably in Hot Rod) but it looked pretty cool. Talk about sitting/driving in the engine compartment...