IGNORED

Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?!

Rougarou

Very interesting albeit it a bit "erector set" looking. But a leaning trike is much more motorcycle like than the traditional trikes that feel more car like. Would love to ride one!

I know it is my nature to "worse case" scenario just about everything....but, am I the only one worried about something getting in between the two tires and things going sideways (literally and figuratively)? It is an interesting concept, though all I can see too many parts that can go wrong on the front end. If this comes out, will I want to test ride it...HECK YEAH! Though I would be worried about taking it any place that is not heavily maintained.

Mike

I rode one of the scooters around 2006 with a similar articulating front double wheel set up. I think it was a Piaggio?

Very strange feeling when turning.

I have ridden the Piaggio MP3 and once the leader of the demo told me forget its a 3 wheeler and just ride it like a motorcycle it was fine and I really liked it. In fact if I ever bought a scooter I would put the MP3 on my short list. This one just not sure as I suspect the front end on this is heavier. But for sure hope to demo ride it at Americade next June. If there is any chance of a demo it would be at Americade.

I rode one of the scooters around 2006 with a similar articulating front double wheel set up. I think it was a Piaggio?

Very strange feeling when turning.

Yep, Piaggio MP3. I have one, 400cc's (they also made 250 & 500cc versions). I think it handles great (for a scooter). They're very popular in Paris and Rome.

This Yamaha is something else tho.....

Say what you want about the bike....

But where did they get that AWFUL suit for the rider? He looks like an anorexic Stay-Puft marshmallow man.

Been contemplating the necessity of this and however dubious the concept seems you kinda have to flashback to how the first GS was received.....

Hey Hey, FJR get out of the way.

I was just wondering what would happen if you could lock the cross connecting piece in the horizontal position so that it wouldn't pivot, would it then steer like a typical 3 wheeler? Probably not a good idea because the front wheels aren't far enough apart. Hey maybe out-riggers like on a snow machine.

Edited by JamesW

OK...not the first time I've been wrong. Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking. Yamaha does not have a great history with unusual front end designs...see Yamaha GTS for example. Maybe this is a test mule for a new MotoGP design and the answer to loosing the front end ;)

Edited by Lemans
OK...not the first time I've been wrong. Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking. Yamaha does not have a great history with unusual front end designs...see Yamaha GTS for example. Maybe this is a test mule for a new MotoGP design and the answer to loosing the front end ;)

I think Yamaha, like other manufacturers, is trying to produce a trike that is more "motorcycle like" than what is currently offered. The trike market including the CanAm seems to really be expanding as riders age but having ridden the CanAm and talked to other riders who have tried a trike, many have the same complaint .... that is just does not feel like a motorcycle because it does not lean. I have ridden the CanAm 3 times and really tied to like it but just did not. This Yamaha attempt seems to try and solve that problem but it sure looks like it took an "ugly bath". Hoping they will have it in the demo fleet at Americade in June.

Has anyone else noticed that it doesn't seem to lean much in the video?

I imagine they'd have to design it so the peg feelers touch down well before the front end linkage runs out of travel for leaning. Otherwise, that sudden loss of half your front-end traction when the outside wheel is levered off the ground could be overly exciting.

....Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking.

I think Yamaha, like other manufacturers, is trying to produce a trike that is more "motorcycle like" than what is currently offered.

Ding Ding Ding. Every major Moto Manufacturer is working on design of this type to varying degrees. Remember there is a very significant percentage of the riding population that are aging. We all know of friends who have gone to lighter bikes and many of us have wondered what we need to be on the lookout for as far indications of our own declining abilities. Some things at this age we can compensate for - a little less than ideal footing let's say for example, isn't something we;ll always be able to compensate for. Weight of course is another consideration. Bikes like this have the potential to keep us in the market longer and address many issues that concern aging riders. That's not to say they may not present new challenges.

Assuming potential disposable income of retired folks, this may also draw NEW riders into the market - who have time to ride and may see this as a more stable alternative to 2 wheel riding.

Talking to one Spyder rider and his wife at a gas stop, he was mostly happy with the CanAM vs conventional bike. His wife was over the moon much happier on the back of it. Not sure it's quite apples to apples - but the stability while stopped plays into her happiness to some degree.

Side Note. I would not place mechanical skill at the forefront of my wife's skill set. I would NEVER want her to ride solo. (On our wave runners, she putters along and if she has to ride, prefers to ride behind Yours Truly vs both of us ride solo. It also takes forever to get anywhere as she rides like a Great, Great Grandma) I've tried to imagine her on a Piaggio MP3 - where she would not have to focus (be distracted by?) balance so much or tipping over. She would still ride like a Great Great Grandmother, but perhaps we could enjoy some Sunday afternoon rides in the country together and I wouldn't be so worried about her skill set - she is a good and (overly?) cautious driver, and taking away a significant number of challenges that 2 wheel riders must understand - I would have a much better comfort level with her on a Piaggio type set up.

:computer:SNAP! Whaa Who. . . Sorry - I was dreaming there. She would still never agree to test one out I'd bet. Wishful thinking . . :cuz:

I was really interested when I first saw the video, but now... I dunno either. Looks good for most riding, but whathappens at the cornering limit? If I shift weight to the inside will the outside wheel lift? If I don't shift weight, will the inside wheel lift? If either will lift, the steering will be really odd since the other front wheel is no longer in line with the rear wheel. The front wheel track looks too narrow for the front end to just push sideways, a high side seems more likely. I realize the potential market is for more moderate riding, but we've all found ourselves in a corner a bit too hot at some point. I'll be looking forward to test reviews.

Motorcyclist recently ran this article:

Rise of the tilting trikes

Honda Neowing

Interesting article and I hope the Yamaha Niken and Honda Neowing are successful. They have to be better than the CanAm which REALLY is not motorcycle like and honestly if I were to go the CanAm route I would probably go the Vanderhall type bike or just get a Corvette. You have to ride a CanAM to really understand how much you will miss the lean. What is nice about the MP3 is that at a stop it locks in the upright position. Some of the other leaning trike experiments did not do that so you had a lot of weight to support and get up off the side stand. Hoping Yamaha has engineered the locking logic into the Niken. Can't wait to try one.