BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1001036 - 11/16/17 07:10 PM Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time?  
poodad Offline
Newer Member
poodad  Offline
Newer Member

Wandering and wondering
Or do you just put them on for longer trips?

I'm lazy, so I've just been leaving mine on, but as expensive as those little puppies are (but well worth it), I've been thinking about taking them off and only installing for long trips.

#1001037 - 11/16/17 07:24 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
szurszewski Online
szurszewski  Online

Portland, OR
I bought one this summer and have maybe ten thousand miles on it. There are things I like and things I don't like - primarily I like that it makes me an inch further "up" and that helps with the ergos for the pegs and well as putting me a little higher in relation to the top edge of the large aftermarket shield on the bike, and I like having it as a "change" on long days. So, in answer your question, I do take it on/off frequently - sometimes I'll leave it on for a full day, but usually - unless it's really hot and I want the increased airflow - I start without it and when my backside gets "tired" of the regular seat I add the 'hawk.

The only time I leave it on overnight is if the bike is parked inside, though I do leave it on if parked in town for lunch or errands or whatever. I sort of doubt that the kind of person who wants an Airhawk is the kind of person who would steal it off your seat at the store, but I guess you never know.

*insert witty remark here*
#1001039 - 11/16/17 08:08 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: szurszewski]  
poodad Offline
Newer Member
poodad  Offline
Newer Member

Wandering and wondering
Originally Posted by szurszewski
I bought one this summer and have maybe ten thousand miles on it. There are things I like and things I don't like - primarily I like that it makes me an inch further "up" and that helps with the ergos for the pegs and well as putting me a little higher in relation to the top edge of the large aftermarket shield on the bike, and I like having it as a "change" on long days. So, in answer your question, I do take it on/off frequently - sometimes I'll leave it on for a full day, but usually - unless it's really hot and I want the increased airflow - I start without it and when my backside gets "tired" of the regular seat I add the 'hawk.

The only time I leave it on overnight is if the bike is parked inside, though I do leave it on if parked in town for lunch or errands or whatever. I sort of doubt that the kind of person who wants an Airhawk is the kind of person who would steal it off your seat at the store, but I guess you never know.

If yours raises you an inch, you've got WAY too much air in it. Mine is almost flat. If you feel it with your hand, you'd swear there is no air in it.

#1001051 - 11/17/17 03:02 AM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
JR356 Offline
JR356  Offline

Way out West
Only use mine on longer trips when I need a break from the otherwise outstanding Rocky Mayer saddle,which is rarely.

JR356

#1001054 - 11/17/17 04:25 AM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
szurszewski Online
szurszewski  Online

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by poodad

If yours raises you an inch, you've got WAY too much air in it. Mine is almost flat. If you feel it with your hand, you'd swear there is no air in it.

Yes I get that I'm not using it as directed. I started with what I thought was very little air and then let more and more out until it was pretty much empty - couldn't get it to not feel like I was on a wobbly waterbed mattress. Filling it completely full has proven to be more comfortable for me than I can get it with the recommended small amount of air.

*insert witty remark here*
#1001063 - 11/17/17 02:15 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
donbmw Offline
donbmw  Offline

I live it on all the time to much trouble to install with seat in place.

#1001228 - 11/19/17 05:36 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Alaskan sheep's skip on all the time.
AirHawk under that.
Easy to remove or add as needed, depending on ride, slide under sheepskin.
Clip connection for sheepskin, unclip one bc side to install or remove AirHawk.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#1001271 - 11/20/17 02:22 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: tallman]  
poodad Offline
Newer Member
poodad  Offline
Newer Member

Wandering and wondering
Originally Posted by tallman
Alaskan sheep's skip on all the time.
AirHawk under that.
Easy to remove or add as needed, depending on ride, slide under sheepskin.
Clip connection for sheepskin, unclip one bc side to install or remove AirHawk.

I take it you like the sheepskin? I've been looking at trying one of those on top the airhawk, but was worried it would be to much between me and the seat.

#1001274 - 11/20/17 04:43 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
twistyguy Offline
Newer Member
twistyguy  Offline
Newer Member

Chevy Chase, MD
It depends on where I'm riding. If I'm riding a long interstate run or wide sweepers, I use the yoda position and pretty much keep my butt planted on the seat and can leave the Airhawk on the whole time. But when riding tight twisties, I get off the seat quite a bit and that puts a lot of strain on the Airhawk straps. (I tore the straps off one after one day with it at START). So in the mountains I take off the Airhawk.

Last edited by twistyguy; 11/20/17 04:47 PM.

Peter
Chevy Chase, MD
2011 R1200R Classic
#1001278 - 11/20/17 06:04 PM Re: Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time? [Re: poodad]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
There are a couple of sheepskin covers hanging out in the garage. I've tried them on just about every bike we've had. They've only been an improvement on my R1200 ST. It might help if I trimmed the sheepskin to fit the shape of the seat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2