IGNORED

Airhawk users - do you leave installed all the time?

poodad

Or do you just put them on for longer trips?

I'm lazy, so I've just been leaving mine on, but as expensive as those little puppies are (but well worth it), I've been thinking about taking them off and only installing for long trips.

I bought one this summer and have maybe ten thousand miles on it. There are things I like and things I don't like - primarily I like that it makes me an inch further "up" and that helps with the ergos for the pegs and well as putting me a little higher in relation to the top edge of the large aftermarket shield on the bike, and I like having it as a "change" on long days. So, in answer your question, I do take it on/off frequently - sometimes I'll leave it on for a full day, but usually - unless it's really hot and I want the increased airflow - I start without it and when my backside gets "tired" of the regular seat I add the 'hawk.

The only time I leave it on overnight is if the bike is parked inside, though I do leave it on if parked in town for lunch or errands or whatever. I sort of doubt that the kind of person who wants an Airhawk is the kind of person who would steal it off your seat at the store, but I guess you never know.

I bought one this summer and have maybe ten thousand miles on it. There are things I like and things I don't like - primarily I like that it makes me an inch further "up" and that helps with the ergos for the pegs and well as putting me a little higher in relation to the top edge of the large aftermarket shield on the bike, and I like having it as a "change" on long days. So, in answer your question, I do take it on/off frequently - sometimes I'll leave it on for a full day, but usually - unless it's really hot and I want the increased airflow - I start without it and when my backside gets "tired" of the regular seat I add the 'hawk.

The only time I leave it on overnight is if the bike is parked inside, though I do leave it on if parked in town for lunch or errands or whatever. I sort of doubt that the kind of person who wants an Airhawk is the kind of person who would steal it off your seat at the store, but I guess you never know.

If yours raises you an inch, you've got WAY too much air in it. Mine is almost flat. If you feel it with your hand, you'd swear there is no air in it.

If yours raises you an inch, you've got WAY too much air in it. Mine is almost flat. If you feel it with your hand, you'd swear there is no air in it.

Yes I get that I'm not using it as directed. I started with what I thought was very little air and then let more and more out until it was pretty much empty - couldn't get it to not feel like I was on a wobbly waterbed mattress. Filling it completely full has proven to be more comfortable for me than I can get it with the recommended small amount of air.

Alaskan sheep's skip on all the time.

AirHawk under that.

Easy to remove or add as needed, depending on ride, slide under sheepskin.

Clip connection for sheepskin, unclip one bc side to install or remove AirHawk.

Alaskan sheep's skip on all the time.

AirHawk under that.

Easy to remove or add as needed, depending on ride, slide under sheepskin.

Clip connection for sheepskin, unclip one bc side to install or remove AirHawk.

I take it you like the sheepskin? I've been looking at trying one of those on top the airhawk, but was worried it would be to much between me and the seat.

It depends on where I'm riding. If I'm riding a long interstate run or wide sweepers, I use the yoda position and pretty much keep my butt planted on the seat and can leave the Airhawk on the whole time. But when riding tight twisties, I get off the seat quite a bit and that puts a lot of strain on the Airhawk straps. (I tore the straps off one after one day with it at START). So in the mountains I take off the Airhawk.

Edited by twistyguy
Dennis Andress

There are a couple of sheepskin covers hanging out in the garage. I've tried them on just about every bike we've had. They've only been an improvement on my R1200 ST. It might help if I trimmed the sheepskin to fit the shape of the seat.

Yes, like.

Butt, I can stand flatfoot over a GSA,

On the centerstand.

As above, can modify for conditions quickly and easily.

Pillion also, so 2 of each.

Fitment?

Not a problem as I ordered appropriate sizes and fit wrt size excellent.

Have not had mine but a few months but just leave it on. With only a little air in it, the Airhawk looks dilapidated, worn out, and not very interesting to the casual passerby so I don't worry about it much. Most people tend to stay away from parked bikes where we go, but I watch while eating lunch, etc. More worried about GPS, helmet, gloves, or getting backed into accidentally.

Edited by Lowndes
Have not had mine but a few months but just leave it on. With only a little air in it, the Airhawk looks dilapidated, worn out, and not very interesting to the casual passerby so I don't worry about it much. Most people tend to stay away from parked bikes where we go, but I watch while eating lunch, etc. More worried about GPS, helmet, gloves, or getting backed into accidentally.

I'm not so much worried about theft as I am the cover or straps deteriorating from sunlight.

Hence the sheep skin.

Barrier to direct UV. Handles rain, snow, sun.

Both "work" well independently.

Together even better, IMO.

I have a broad piece of elastic tied around the seat and just tuck the Airhawk under it - it therefore lives in a pannier when not in action. The other advantage is by standing slightly on the pegs the A/H can be moved fore and aft from time to time. This changes the tilt of one's pelvis and makes long rides much more bearable