IGNORED

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

TEWKS

I like it. I prefer a bike where the engine is on display . . . one of the reasons I like the BMW boxers

Edited by BarnRat

I rode Kawasaki's from 1973 to 2001. Had a bunch of them including a silver 1977 kz1000r .

This new one looks good. If I had all the money I'd have one of everything. :thumbsup:

The classic brown/orange std. version looks very close to the original. I like it, but I am biased as I have always had a soft spot for Kawasaki. The best part is that I'm sure the new one goes, stops and turns way better than the original. Emissions issues aside, could you imaging what a modern H2 750 triple would be like...for sure just as scary to ride, but in a good way and not because you were fearing for your life.

Yeeha! Stephen

My "Shop" skills suck, but I added the Eddie Lawson Replica/ZRX blue strip and added some yellow to the green to make it more lime-ish. Much better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42912&d=1510761705.jpg

This GSXR Retro 1100 is looking pretty sweet to me. I don't know if it's even going into production but slick if you were a Suzuki guy say back in 1986.

c6c1b0e4e1fa83d4ebf1c08ff15289794aff6f39_hq.jpg

Pat

I have been waiting for this one... & am drooling! My posse all rode Zeds & CBs back in the early 80s. Today, none of us ride Japanese.

I'm going to go have a look as soon as my local Dealer receives them. May well trade my Steet Triple in if it checks all the right boxes. He sells Triumph too.

Probably in the minority here, but I'm loving the retro craze. Keeping my '07 Bonnie though. Bring it on....🤗

I like the retro look but some aren't retro enough for me. This 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX with 4-into-2 exhaust is what I'm looking for. If I ever find a new one (within a reasonable drive) or a decent used one I am going to snatch it up.

6786.jpg.47d2e1c9497d0a02c22f19fa2a948940.jpg

If I had all the money I'd have one of everything. :thumbsup:

I'm with ya on that! :thumbsup:

Pat

I thought you were already half way there? :D:rofl:

Learning this as I go, little kids little dollars, big kids big dollars! The other half may take a while. :grin:

Pat

Looks like Kawasaki is reaching back a bit deeper into the ZRX gene pool. Like, but this is RETRO to me. :java:

Kawasaki-Z900RS-Cafe-1.jpg

Pat

That's a sexy beast. I think I may have to give it some real thought in the new year.

• 1 month later...

A local dealer has a 73 just like this one on his floor for display. It's going to be interesting to see the new and old together in the flesh steel. :grin: I missed this bike by seven years so the nostalgic tug isn't all that strong but, in black with the cafe fairing, it just tingles me in the right places. :ohboy::D

GW_0919.jpg

Pat

Sort of looks like this guy. Think this was an '1980 or '81

KZ%20750-L.jpg

WhenI installed the Kerker , I went to the dealer. Tech blipped the throttle and said, "These carbs ain"t stock" :grin:

Nice, Doug! :thumbsup:

I was a Suzuki guy back in 80, my first brand new street bike was just like the one pictured. A 1980 GS 750E. Now I put a Yoshimura pipe along with superbike bars and a Tracy Fairing. Probably never heard that name I before. I'll see if I can find a pic of the fairing.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/images/9/9d/1980-Suzuki-GS750E-Silver-3069-0.jpg[/

Edit

Fairing

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/file/n3195897/Tracy_universal_mount_quarter_fairing.jpg

Pat

Edited by TEWKS
Sort of looks like this guy. Think this was an '1980 or '81

KZ%20750-L.jpg

WhenI installed the Kerker , I went to the dealer. Tech blipped the throttle and said, "These carbs ain"t stock" :grin:

Brings back fond memories. While the original 900 was an iconic model, the later plain bearing motors with a one piece crank, like the motor in that 750 KZ, were more robust vs the original. Open up the air box, add a Kerker and re-jet and these motors became monsters able to pull well past red line w/o ill effect. They handled much better as well. Kerker had a lock on bringing out the best in Kawi motors from that era. I was surprised to find my 83 GPz 750 came from the factory with dremmel work done to clean up the intake!

Edited by Paul De
  • 2 weeks later...

Since GS Suzukis came up I had to join in with my first post.

In 78 I roadraced a 77 GS750 in Colorado, winning the beginner's race by about 3/4 of a lap (at the track outside Pueblo- PMI?) and had some 2nd and 3rds for the rest of the season.

Had to rebuild the engine at the end of the season so I:

- bored to take GS850 pistons, worked great btw

- smoothbore carburetors

- electronic ignition

- Kerker

- custom paint

and various small bits

Rode it till 83, when I went to graduate school and couldn't afford the tires and chain it needed.

By the standards of today it was slow and didn't handle well. By the standards of the late 70s it was a wonderful bike - fast, handled, comfortable, sport or touring.

Now I own an R1200RT that I bought last fall. Can't wait for spring.

Edited by codan
Since GS Suzukis came up I had to join in with my first post.

In 78 I roadraced a 77 GS750 in Colorado, winning the beginner's race by about 3/4 of a lap (at the track outside Pueblo- PMI?) and had some 2nd and 3rds for the rest of the season.

Had to rebuild the engine at the end of the season so I:

- bored to take GS850 pistons, worked great btw

- smoothbore carburetors

- electronic ignition

- Kerker

- custom paint

and various small bits

Rode it till 83, when I went to graduate school and couldn't afford the tires and chain it needed.

By the standards of today it was slow and didn't handle well. By the standards of the late 70s it was a wonderful bike - fast, handled, comfortable, sport or touring.

Now I own an R1200RT that I bought last fall. Can't wait for spring.

I loved my GS 750!

I rode it in 22 states over 5 years, the 4 to 1 Kerker was the bomb.

... the 4 to 1 Kerker was the bomb.

I think this sound, and that kind of a "stutter" that inline 4s have at idle is what made me want to ride motorcycles.

My best friend in high school had a KZ650, and that sound... it still makes me smile when I think about the header I put I put on my ZRX1100 to make it sound the same.

Is it spring yet?

Nice, Doug! :thumbsup:

I was a Suzuki guy back in 80, my first brand new street bike was just like the one pictured. A 1980 GS 750E. Now I put a Yoshimura pipe along with superbike bars and a Tracy Fairing. Probably never heard that name I before. I'll see if I can find a pic of the fairing.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/images/9/9d/1980-Suzuki-GS750E-Silver-3069-0.jpg[/Pat

That same color/machine was also my first "new" off the showroom floor bike...and I'm still a Suzuki Guy...

That same color/machine was also my first "new" off the showroom floor bike...and I'm still a Suzuki Guy...

Sad, I don't believe a single picture was ever taken of that bike. :( I still remember walking into the dealership (at 16) and telling them I want THAT one! First question, are your parents aware of what you're buying? :grin:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...